A few free programs

Community Forums/Showcase/A few free programs

DarkMere(Posted 2008) [#1]
Just thought that I would share a few programs I wrote a few years ago. One being a darts simulation and the other being a Star Trek game. Both were written in BlitzPlus while I was trying to learn how to code (I am still trying to learn the how to code).

StarTrek contains a 3D star field which I took from some free code (on this site I think), so thanks to the person who wrote that. Darts has an opening picture that I again took from something on this site, so thanks to the person who made that too.

Please don't expect anything like the standard of the majority of coders here, because you will be disappointed, but I am sure the programs will keep you riveted to your computers for at least 10 minutes each :)

Match Play Darts is here
and
Star Trek is here

In the case of the darts program, this installs onto your computer. Due to bad planning on my behalf, the instructions are in a text file inside the install folder and not on the start menu.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
Downloading now. How about posting some screenshots?

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
Had a quick play. These both look like they have potential but I found the interfaces to be unclear. For example, in the Darts game it took me a while to figure out how to start a game and then when I did, those moving aim lines were very small. Then I couldn't figure out how to exit, so had to do an end task. When I started the start trek one I kept getting blasted by Romulans and the only button I seemed to get to work was the short range scan. Is it turned-based? If so perhaps you should dim out your buttons when it's the Romulans' turn. Again it was hard to figure out how to exit.

You clearly know how to program as you've made some quite complex games but accessibility is key. If you can make them easy for people who've never seen them before to pick up and play, you'll get a lot more feedback and success. Good luck with future games!

DarkMere(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thank you Grey, I think you made some very positive comments and I will take them on board. I do have a habit of not looking at my games as someone who has never played them before.

Yes, the Star Trek one is turn based and the program starts you somewhere random in the playing grid, so if you have enemies in the same area they start firing right away. Maybe I should make sure the the star ship always starts somewhere safe to give people a chance to try a few things.

As for the screen shots, I will see what I can do :)

BTW, in most cases, 'ESC' exits.

puki(Posted 2008) [#5]
I like the Star Trek one - I almost burst with excitement.

Not tried the darts one yet.

WERDNA(Posted 2008) [#6]
I haven't tried the darts game yet, but the Star Trek
game is AWESOME!.
I'm not normally even a Star Trek fan.
Keep up the good work:)

The Mighty WERDNA(Lord of darkness/dorkness)

Panno(Posted 2008) [#7]
ive get an invalid movie graphics handle