Hand-Drawn 3D Progress

Community Forums/Showcase/Hand-Drawn 3D Progress

JoeGr(Posted 2008) [#1]
This is an evolution of the vector demo I posted a few months ago. Actually I haven't worked on it for quite some time but I do hope to get back to it soon. There are now three rendering modes implemented - solid, wire and (yes!) outline. Feedback, suggestions etc are welcome.

Download video here

Uncle(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks amazing. I'm really impressed. What sort of FPS are you getting with this sceen?

The solid mode is excellent. At the moment the shapes are quite simple i.e. rectangular with no protrusions. Can your routine handle more complex shapes? I've been trying to get my head around how to do it, and can only figure it out for simple shapes.

The outline routine is clever as well. Excellent work.

JoeGr(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks! I can only do more complex shapes by splitting them up into smaller, convex sections (the building with the sign on top is three pieces) but it soon gets messy and complicated. I intend to stick with relatively simple shapes myself because its easier, faster and suits the style.

Framerate is fine - in the hundreds. Like you, I'm using Draw3D which seems to be one of the fastest options around.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
Love that look dude!

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#5]
nice styalised look
lets hope any game made in that vein dont suck :)

thiers something about it that makes me want to explore it myself
its so simple a layout ... some games just DON'T need photorealistic textures etc

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#6]
Will you be releasing the graphics part of your engine at some point?

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#7]
Well done!

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#8]
That looks so cool!

Mark Judd(Posted 2008) [#9]
I really like this look. Its an excellent style.

Would it be possible to alternate the line texture during the program loop to make the lines wobble slightly ?

There was a UK kids cartoon called rhubarb and custard (i think) where the animated lines wobbled quite badly - but it gave it fantastic character.

Will this be available in any form at some point ? either to buy or a hint as to your methods - i too have been trying to emulate this without the success you are having.

Really looking forward to seeing a game utilising this style.

Mark

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#10]
This looks excellent - I'm really into the minamalistic look myself. IMO, providing you keep the style consistent, it looks so much better than half-assed attempts at photo-realism.

Someone posted a demo called sketchfx a looong time ago. I think that effect would look similar to what Mark suggests and it's pretty good if I remember. It's done in B3d but if you'd like me to send the code, e-mail me.

Stevie

JoeGr(Posted 2008) [#11]
Thanks for the encouraging comments everyone.

Will you be releasing the graphics part of your engine at some point?

I feel slightly bad saying this as I've previously suggested I would, but no. At least not anytime soon. Sorry. But I'd like to try and make something with it myself first. Plus the code is really messy.

Would it be possible to alternate the line texture during the program loop to make the lines wobble slightly ?

Absolutely. That effect is called 'boiling' and yes, 'Rhubarb and Custard' is one of the best-known examples, here in the UK at least. I've actually tried it already but it was rather unpleasant to look at. I think it is probably not well suited to the mathematical precision of a 3D environment.

Someone posted a demo called sketchfx a looong time ago.

Yes, I know the one. I still have it on my computer. It doesn't do exactly what Mark's describing but it is very good and could possibly be combined with what I'm doing. I may try it at some point. Thanks for reminding me about that.

As for how this is done, in very simple terms, I use CameraProject() to find the screen coordinates of each vertex and 'join the dots' using a function called ImageLine3D() which is part of Hectic's Draw3D library. The difficult parts are 1) finding a way of drawing only visible edges and 2) making the whole thing fast and efficient.