Really Really Basic Beat'em up-3yr olds can play?

Community Forums/Showcase/Really Really Basic Beat'em up-3yr olds can play?

Matty(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello. After seeing thread in general discussion where it was said beat'em ups were the best game for a 3 yr old to play, and after thinking I'd like to do a 'game in a day' I spent yesterday putting this thing together:

You will probably have to paste the link into your browser as this website doesn't always like the "~" symbol.

The game is here:

http://home.people.net.au/~Matthew.Lloyd/lloyd/HSlayer3.zip

(Download <1MB)
Basic instructions appear when game starts.

It's far from my best work, but thought I'd share it (haven't made anything for months).

From Matt

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#2]
I'm not sure if I'd be very happy for a three year old of mine (not that I have any children) to play a beat'em up like this. I'm only going on the screenshot, you understand, but the visuals alone (dark and scary, skeltons with swords, etc) would put me off. Couple that with the violence of a beat'em up and it just doesn't seem a very healthy pastime for such a young child.

Matty(Posted 2008) [#3]
Fair point.

Amon(Posted 2008) [#4]
Sometimes I don't understand the replies given to certain stuff on this forum.

Anyway, just had a play. It's simple, basic and kept me entertained for 5 minutes. :)

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#5]
What don't you understand about my reply, Amon?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
It's a hard one really. I think 3 - 5 year olds are really learning or at the end of learning what is right and what is wrong, and they probably have a good grasp of reality.

It's strange though because i remember when i was young, my mum used to buy me those toy guns and plastic swords and i didn't turn out to be a sword weilding maniac, or go about shooting people.

I think with good parents, they should always be learning whats right and wrong. If a computer game changes you, the parents should have been keeping a close eye...

It really is hard to tell whether it makes a difference, but i understand your concerns :o) At least you care about stuff like that.

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#7]
To clarify my point:

I think that young children should be exposed to more creatively/mentally stimulating forms of entertainment. However, I'm actually not too concerned about them being exposed to a moderate amount of violence - for example, children's fairy tales are often quite violent and horrific.

If I had young childen, I'd read to them or look at picture books with them, or I'd encourage them to play creatively with toys. I would not sit them down in front of a tv with a beat'em up.

I have no problem with the quality of Matty's work, I just question this particular project's suitability.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#8]
EDIT: Removed. Don't want to derail your thread :o)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#9]
EDIT: Me neither!

Yeah it's a good start, Matty. Like the graphics, AI needs sorting out a bit but still early days. I wouldn't mind the 3 year kids I don't have playing this. It doesn't strike me as particularly scary or gruesome.

DjBigWorm(Posted 2008) [#10]
Hi, cool concept I was interested in the graphics for the main player. What did you use to make them? What file format do you use? Thanks in advance for your replay.

Matty(Posted 2008) [#11]
Main character - rendered from poser, stored in my own fileformat for various reasons. Will Explain later.

DjBigWorm(Posted 2008) [#12]
Oh, cool the reason I ask is I have my own format on a prog I have to help build my animation and it keeps track of masks, hotspots, and other info I use. Nice work:)