Order Up is,well, up!

Community Forums/Showcase/Order Up is,well, up!

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#1]
"Order Up" is a micro game that we (My sister and I) are making to give at our website. You can find it here:

http://www.unseenkingdom.com/OrderUp.zip
Admin Note: Modified link as per Retimer's case correction.

What do you think? I hope you enjoy it, and if you find anything wrong, pleeeese let me know! ^_^

God Bless,
Miss Blitz

Bremer(Posted 2008) [#2]
The link gives me "page not found"

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#3]
Same here

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
same here. The main site works though.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#5]

Linux hosts, what a pain. Case sensitive =P

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#6]
I couldn't stop laughing while playing. I wasn't really awake and trying to grab the items. Simple fun.

One issue; I messed up on one order during lunch and it didn't continue to the next order...the counter just kept going down.

Cheers

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#7]
An amusing game for five minutes. Really nice sound and visuals.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#8]
Downloading now - god, that's a slow server (18KBps)!

lol, very fun game! Love the sound effects, animation and drawing - it looks very polished...

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#9]
629kb/s for me...sure it's not 'your' side?

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#10]
@ Retimer: Well everything else is downloading at the usual 290KBps so I don't think so... :^|

_33(Posted 2008) [#11]
Very fast download. Nice little game :P

plash(Posted 2008) [#12]
haha, good fun.

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#13]
Thanks, Plash!
Wow, a lot can happen while you sleep, huh?
Awful sweet of you to correct that link!

I'm awful glad you liked our microgame, Retimer!

<< One issue; I messed up on one order during lunch and it didn't continue to the next order...the counter just kept going down. >>

Hmm... the thought behind what happens when an unneeded topping is selected is that Elliot "stalls" for a second as he catches his near-mistake (symbolized by a lack of "cooking" animation) , then continues work on that order. Do you think he should actually make the mistake,
then start over... or do you mean the game stopped
completely after that lunch order was goofed?

@SebHoll
-- Did you see the icons? Didja? Huh? Thanks again for all
your help! I told my mom about how much you helped me out, and she told me to tell you that if you ever find yourself in Florida, send an email our way, and we'll
get you into Disney World gratis, if you'd like to go! (My Dad works there)
@_33
Thanks so much!
@everyone
I'm happy for everyone who got a fast download, and
sorry for those who got a slow one. ^_^ Though, is there
something I can do to ensure the fastest possible downloads?

Thanks You all so much for your input!
Miss Blitz

_33(Posted 2008) [#14]
I think you could add a difficulty level to that game, where an easy level would let him do gaffe after gaffe no matter what. Harder level would let him do 3 gaffes then stop the game. Also, I would put a timer on the game, so the lunch has to be prepared in x number of seconds. Miss Blitz, the game's got the right mood from the getgo, just that it doesn't feel any challenging for now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#15]
Took ages to download here too and the site seems a bit upon first typing in the URL. Perhaps a change of server? You don't want potential customers getting bored...

Will try out the game soon :-)

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#16]

or do you mean the game stopped
completely after that lunch order was goofed?

I did another real quick test and tried to repeat the exact problem and couldn't get it again. Might have been a fluke, or might have been that I just woke up when I tried it =P

Though, is there something I can do to ensure the fastest possible downloads?

There is, but it's not really worth it unless your download is 50mb+, and being streamed to a large (and i mean really large) population from many different locations around the world.
In case of this, you would upload your app to mirrors located all over the world (sourceforge does this I believe), and/or central located servers.

New york and chicago are great locations for hosting for samples in all of america. I think you're fine though.

On a more related note for the game:
I think the minigame has a lot more potential, not by itself, but for a larger project.

Maybe this part of the game is 'working', and you get paid after the day is over or something. You would ofcourse need to add shops, more mini-games, etc to that idea. Just a thought to make it worth more for the effort put into it.

Time

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#17]
@_33

<<I think you could add a difficulty level to that game, where an easy level would let him do gaffe after gaffe no matter what. Harder level would let him do 3 gaffes then stop the game.>>
I rather like those ideas!

<<Also, I would put a timer on the game, so the lunch has to be prepared in x number of seconds.>>

Oh! It... kind of... does have a timer. In the upper-right
hand corner. Do you think it needs to be more pronounced?

<<Miss Blitz, the game's got the right mood from the getgo, just that it doesn't feel any challenging for now. >>

Thanks so much for your encouragement / suggestions!
I think those ideas really would improve our little game. :-)

Miss Blitz

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#18]
I'm terrible at these reaction type games, but it was still quite fun - it's mightily impressive for your first mini-game.

Did you see the icons? Didja? Huh? Thanks again for all
your help!

Yep - lookin' good! Was it for this project which you needed the new version of MaxGUI, because I can't see any MaxGUI gadgets anywhere?

I told my mom about how much you helped me out, and she told me to tell you that if you ever find yourself in Florida, send an email our way, and we'll
get you into Disney World gratis, if you'd like to go! (My Dad works there)

Thanks, it's a very kind offer, but completely unnecessary. ;-)

simonh(Posted 2008) [#19]
Nice little mini game. The sound effects in particular are very well done, replicating the fizz and crackle of a burger bar perfectly.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#20]
Finally had a play. Nice art! and nice minigame! Made me hungry. Good sounds. I didn't beat the dinner menu as some of those items were hard ;-)

Some ideas:

1) Would be nice if a mouse click on the front screen moved on as at the moment on key presses do. Same on other screens.
2) Pause music on loss of focus
3) writing a tiny bit hard to see on instructions. Too thin maybe or background image needs to be even more uniform colour. And the "t"s look like a 4!

Reminds me of this game a bit (very addictive):

http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/games/review/stand-o-food/

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#21]
Works fine here, fast download, nice game:)

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#22]
Thanks Xzider! It's such a relief to know that the game is
behaving so well. ^_^

Wow, this feedback is really encouraging!

The sound effects were free sound files we downloaded from soundsnap.com arranged by my sister primarily, though I did contribute a
little:
That sound you hear when you fill an order (::ding,ding::)? That was me.

@Grey Alien
<<1) Would be nice if a mouse click on the front screen moved on as at the moment on key presses do. Same on other screens.
2) Pause music on loss of focus
3) writing a tiny bit hard to see on instructions. Too thin maybe or background image needs to be even more uniform colour. And the "t"s look like a 4! >>

You know my parents had the same complaint about #3.
We're gonna take care of that. Oh, and "1" and "2" are good suggestions too, of course.

<< Reminds me of this game a bit (very addictive): [links to review of "Stand of Food"]>>

You know, I haven't played that game yet, but my sister has, and she *LOVES* that title (she thinks it's better
than Cake Mania)! Thank you, Mr. Alien, you comments
have been deeply encouraging

@ SebHoll

<< Was it for this project which you needed the new version of MaxGUI, because I can't see any MaxGUI gadgets anywhere?
>>

... Yes. I hope you're not disappointed, but I ended up not using any of the new features in this mini-game. :-( Here's the skinny:

I was trying to attach this one icon file to our
project using windres, but it only showed up up on the title bar. Thinking that the update was including icon support, I stepped well clear of my comfort zone and,clutching your hand tightly, entered the world of SVN and mod folder deletion. Then... well, you can see the rest. ::Sigh:: (The really annoying thing is, I still don't
understand why the windres approach worked for the last icon I experimented with.)

But that doesn't mean our adventure was for naught! I'm wiser and bolder for the journey, It's nice to
think that other Blitzers may have overcome their fears of SVN through my fumblings, and, after more careful study of the new features, my sister and I are both excited about the potential this update has for our up-and-coming projects!

Well, I guess that's all the news that's fit to post this time!

Miss Blitz

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#23]
You are welcome. Keep up the good work, I look forward to seeing more from you both.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#24]
Well in my first post I said this kept me amused for 5 minutes, but I have since been back to it a few more times for 5 minutes. It's always good for a quick go.

I seem to hit a problem at lunch time when making a burger (or perhaps it happens in other instances) where it faults me for adding mustard. As mustard is a required component, I can't complete the order. Anyone else seen this?

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#25]
I think I may have seen that but I thought I had done something wrong, but it completed anyway. It's all so fast I could be mistaken.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#26]
Ah yes - I see now that the order slip at the top does state hold the mustard sometimes. I was just looking at the recipe at the bottom.

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#27]
I successfully made a hack to change the score/time:D Made it for fun, was easy. Was kind of bored and messing around with a DLL for blitz.

Though its alot more fun playing this game legitly because setting score to quota/setting time to 0 is pretty boring.

@Miss Blitz: If you care about the security, I can send you hack(Source) so you can test it.

Edit: Oh yeah, hack was also made in blitz. You can also do this with other memory editors of course.

Tested particular hack several times on each, would be just as easy to fix with XP.

Tested with 2 Vista Computers - Success
Tested with 1 XP Computer - Failed

Just a heads up on security issues

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#28]
@Xzider
Are memory hacks a threat to a game? How would
I go about strengthening security? Or should the code make it self-explanatory?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#29]
Great wee game :o) Hard for me though :o) Couldn't get past lunch though :o(

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#30]
Well, its pretty much cheating... I didn't have to do the work when I enabled hack, I just set the game score to 8 and the time to 0 instantly. For this particular project, I would say don't worry about it. To strengthen it, you would have to edit the code to prevent it, I did something like that with a project of mine, just detected if someone was speed hacking or not...But that was a online RPG.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#31]
Well hot damn, hold the mustard! I shoulda paid more attention.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#32]
I'm sorry to break this to you mate, but you'll never get a job in McDonald's.

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#33]
@ Ross C
Thank you for the compliments! You're from Scotland?
Cool! My mom had a great uncle from there (I think his
name was Rob Roy McKinnon).
@Grey Alien
<<2) Pause music on loss of focus>>

... I'm trying to get that to happen, but, I don't seem to
be doing too well. I've tried EVENT_GADGETLOSTFOCUS,
but it doesn't seem to be automatically triggered when
someone selects a different window. Is there a step I'm missing? Any advice would be highly appreciated. :-)

Cheers,
Miss Blitz

plash(Posted 2008) [#34]
Here, try this:

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#35]
Ooo! Sweet! Thanks so much Plash! You rock!

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#36]
Everyone here rocks! ^_^

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#37]
I'm sorry to break this to you mate, but you'll never get a job in McDonald's
lol, aw crap and I was training so hard with all those time management games!

Miss Blitz: It's possible to track the loss and regaining of focus without MaxGUI as well, but seeing as you seem to have that, I guess you are OK.

Ash_UK(Posted 2008) [#38]
Wow Miss Blitz, this game is GREAT. Very well produced. I love the music (I'm a musician) as well as the sound effects. Outstanding!! Although, I must admit, just like Ross, I couldn't seem to get past lunch :p
Excellent work over all though, great stuff! 10 stars from me :D

Ash
(Liverpool UK)

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#39]
@Ash_UK
_----_
o^_^o Hooray Music! What kind do you make?

<<Although, I must admit, just like Ross, I couldn't seem to get past lunch :p>>
You know, quite a few people have made that comment about the game's difficulty. Does anyone think I should
tinker with the quotas or anything? Or is it a good kind of difficult?

I'll ask one more thing, how apparent is the link to our
homepage on the title screen?
Take care,
Miss Blitz

plash(Posted 2008) [#40]
I didn't notice it the first few times.

u2o(Posted 2008) [#41]
What great fun. I am going to copy it onto my daughters computer so she can have a play. I am sure she will give it a thumbs up too.

Nice graphics and music. You game has a great feel to it, although the lunch menu was a bit hard. Well done!

Do you plan on doing a whole compilation of mini games?

Edit:
Just had a look at your website. Your artwork is really, really nice.

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#42]
<<I didn't notice it the first few times.>>
@Plash
I was a little worried about that link. Thank you for the input. :-)

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#43]
Hi, u2o!

Sorry about not replying sooner! :-(

First off, thank you so much for your encouragement! I hope your daughter enjoys the game too. I'm sorry if the lunch menu was too hard. Would this be a bad time to mention there's a dinner level? ::o_0::

Anyway, we plan on doing a new mini game every month as a way of sharpening some basic game development skills. So, yes in a manner of speaking, I guess we are doing a collection of them^_^;

Thanks for checking out the website! It's nowhere near done yet but it's something to look at while my sister gets the rest of the site put together. (Oh, and just so I don't get myself into BIG trouble, let me clarify here that the art on the site is done by my sister. She does all the graphics and layouts and such for our games. I just pull it all together and make it compile^_^;;; )

Miss Blitz(Posted 2008) [#44]
Hi again!

I've updated our microgame; fitted it with Mr. Alien's
suggestions (advance screen with mouse clicks,pause music when out of focus, easier-to-read font on instructions), as well as a couple of new modifications.

Now, the game can be downsized (but not resized or maximized), there's a two second pause at the clear level and ending screens (to keep you from blazing through them while you're still frantically picking ingredients :-D), and the game pauses itself when it loses focus (you know, you overshoot the pickles and "RRARGH!").

I haven't done anything with _33's suggestion of making
the game more challenging yet, because I think that kind
of modification might be best saved for a full game.

If you'd like to try it out, it's at the same address as before:

If you've had enough fast food for a while, though, I
understand. :-D

Take care!

_33(Posted 2008) [#45]
Nice little update.

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#46]
Nice update, I like the no need to press a key controlls alot better. That was my only complaint about it. Good job!

GaryV(Posted 2008) [#47]
This is an addictive little game. I think you have done a very good job and the graphics are extremely impressive.

There is one major problem with the game though. It makes me hungry for a burger ;c)