'Gimme Friction Baby' for the small screen

Community Forums/Showcase/'Gimme Friction Baby' for the small screen

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#1]
Today I was just thinking about trying to write a game for my phone.. in Java probably.

Anyway.. I was trying to think what to write and I remembered a browser game called 'Gimme Friction Baby' where the controls where just 1 button.
So.. tonight I thought I'd try to write a prototype in blitzMax.. and here is my results.

The code isnt pretty.. it was after all written in about 5 hours and written on the fly.

its runs in a 240x320 window.. to match my phone.

Just thought I'd share.

and here is a windows exe GimmeFrictionBabyMobile.zip

Added : Spent another hour or so adding improvements. Spheres now contain a number indicating how many hits remaining before it disapears.
firing sphere size increased ( maily so the numbers would fit inside it ).

Forgot to mention : the only key you need to play is the space key. Press Escape to quit the game.

The aim of the game is a little hard to explain.
You fire a ball. When it stops moving it will expand until it reaches a wall or another ball.
When you hit a stationary ball 3 times it will be removed from the play area and you will score 1 point.
The game ends when a ball falls down below the dotted line.

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#2]
no replys.. so either its in the wrong forum ( I really couldnt decide where to put it ) or its just not worth a comment.

Maybe I need to think of another game that might work well for a phone.

In the meantime I'm off to learn how to write a Midlet. Its a shame there isnt a Mobile version of BlitzMax.

SebHoll(Posted 2008) [#3]
Interesting idea - simple but I haven't seen a game like this before... Nice work ;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
People love screenshots. Try that to pique interest, and upload an exe for non-BMax users. that'll get more comments :-)

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#5]
thanx Grey.. good point.. tis done..
I was just wondering if people thought it would make a good game for a phone.. plus test it to see if there were any bugs.
I have tried to make the game look as close to the original as possible.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#6]
looks fun, curious though, Bmax compiles on a cell phone? how does that work exactly if you don't mind explaining..

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#7]
I wish BMax could compile onto a cell phone. What i am going to have to do is port the code to java now. It was just far quicker to write and test the game logic in BMax.

EnigmaticGames(Posted 2008) [#8]
Interesting concept -- I like it -- good job. I think given a bit more time and some bells and whistles you could have a decent java phone game.

QuietBloke(Posted 2008) [#9]
thanx.. Im now trying to re-learn java and working through the documentation to figure out how to write a midlet and work through the API's. One thing Ive just discovered is the mobile java does not have floats so I may have to revisit the code and convert it to just use int's... that will be fun !
Maybe while I do that I'll add some 'bells and whistles'.. if only to give my brain a break.