Space Invaders Remake

Community Forums/Showcase/Space Invaders Remake

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#1]

Okay, Full Invaders game is now uploaded!!!

http://www.savefile.com/files/1433926

Get it now and tell me what you think.

Sauer(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks cool, can't go wrong with space invaders. Ever. :]

Hail to the retro!

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#3]
Heres one i made a bit ago... I can give ya the source if you want.. I never completely finished it - But its playable (Ignore the annoying music, that was me playing a electric guitar for the first time)

Let me know what ya think:

http://yahfree.com/OtherFiles/SpaceInvadersV1.zip
(Windows)

looking forward to playing yours (I like space invaders)

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#4]
The mistake most people make with space invaders is moving all the invaders at the same time.

You should move one per update that way you get the shimmer as they move across, likewise you get the automatic speed up as you're updating fewer each cycle.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#5]
gah!!!! the guitar music in my ears!!! argh, blood gushing!!!! ;-P

Okay, Full Invaders game is now uploaded!!!

http://www.savefile.com/files/1433926

Get it now and tell me what you think.

Yahfree(Posted 2008) [#6]
much better then mine... my only complaint is it has a lack of movement... and fires pretty slow.

other than that, good.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#7]
fires pretty slow?

i remember one galaxian game "3d galax" on the ST wouldnt let you fire again till the bullet you set off last hit something or it got far far far away from you
it had a really great theme too :)

and was in a compilation with deflektor so its ace by default

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#8]
Lack of movement? Do you mean the shimmer thing?
I did have a much faster fire rate but found it far too easy to play, so I slowed it down and introduced the gun heat bar so you can't just sit there with your finger on the space bar.

Also, did you notice you lose points for firing at your own bases, that'll teahc people for firing up through them!!! ;-)

Anyway, I'll fix any small bugs people find, but now it's on with the next game!!! Woo hoo

p.s. I've trying to make my games more technically accomplished each time. Invaders saves the highscore to a file, has clever coding for destroying the bases and some particle effects which look pretty cool. All things that can be brought over to the next game. Missile Command!!!

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#9]
It's ok... but I seems to lack the suspense of other space invader games. Not bad though, nice particle effects.

keyboard(Posted 2008) [#10]
@rob farley: damn, you're right, thats what my clone is missing. Love a good spacies game :)

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#11]
I just found a serious bug in this and fixed it. Anyone that's played this may have noticed serious slowdown when holding down the spacebar to fire.

I had some completely retarded code for drawing the gun heatbar on screen that drew something like 700 rectangles everyframe, it was dumb.

Anyway, download it again, same link.

Oh, and I've included all the source code for anyone interested.