Hunters Moon; Ovines latest Remake

Community Forums/Showcase/Hunters Moon; Ovines latest Remake

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#1]

Download our latest remake at http://huntersmoon.ovine.net

A thinking mans shoot-em-up, an underrated C64 release back in 1986.

128 levels spread over 16 star systems, collect the energy cells to progress to the next screen.

We have put a level password system in so the game doesn't have to be completed in a marathon session.

Enjoy.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#2]
Looks great. I especially like the design of the controls/display.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yeah hope to play this later.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#4]
Looking good. GFX + muzak are very atmospheric. It wasn't obvious to me that you have to press two keys (diagonal) to select on the map screens, and as escape doesn't work there, I ended up having to quit using the file manager. That minor gripe aside, a good remake.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
Looks good and I agree, very atmospheric retro music/sounds. I found the game too hard, I could barely get out of the area where you start without getting killed like 80% of the time. Also I didn't know Z was fire so when it said "Read to launch" or whatever, I clicked the mouse, pressed enter/space/escape/ctrl and nothing happened, eventually I pressed Z. Perhaps I'm too used to casual games but I think that the game could do with some more obvious keys/mouse clicks to progress forward, then more people will play the game...

Matt Vinyl(Posted 2008) [#6]
Heh, I loved this game on the C64 - although I found it got very hard very quickly. Will indeed give this a blast shortly...! :)

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#7]
Grey - theres always redefine keys

Yea I found the original very difficult, on the play testing we made it easier but still a challenge (we hope).

The inclusion of the password system should at least mean you dont have to have a 4 hour stint to complete the entire game in 1 sitting.

Some users - the "kids" as I like to call them - have asked for an automatic password system so they dodn't have to write them down :S Its a good job they werent growing up in the 80s ! :)

Doiron(Posted 2008) [#8]
It wasn't obvious to me that you have to press two keys (diagnal) to select on the map screens, and as escape doesn't work there, I ended up having to quit using the file manager. That minor gripe aside, a good remake.

He wanted to be faithful to the C64 original! :)

Speaking of faithfulness, the only gameplay difference I noticed are the walls which only need one shot to be destroyed.

An excellent remake, and one of my favorites on the C64.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#9]
Well that just serves me right for not having a Crummodore back in the day! ;)

Stu_ovine(Posted 2008) [#10]
:)

Some walls have to be shot more than once, thats one of the adjusters that I set in the level editor.

Early levels are quite easy, the later ones get a bit more manic. Saying that I can complete the game without cheating (I stink at playing games).

I get access to the iMac next week so Im going to have a go at porting it. Some problems installing when I last tried and then theres the issues of Tiger and Leopard OSXs' - MAD.....

unlikely(Posted 2008) [#11]
I get access to the iMac next week so Im going to have a go at porting it.

Thank you! :)