MaxPascal 0.8

Community Forums/Showcase/MaxPascal 0.8

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#1]
MaxPascal is a free (as in free beer) Integrated Development Editor for the Free Pascal compiler written entirely in BlitzMax.

I started it because at University, for educational reasons, we use Pascal as the language of choice. I wrote this small IDE to have a really minimalistic editor inspired by the Blitz3D IDE (which was too simple, but really functional).

In fact, if it wasn't because I have to use it at university, I would have probably never tried Pascal, but I have to say that right now I like this language a lot. Syntax-wise, if you're used to Blitz, it's not a dramatic transition, thanks to Pascal being a sexy language, and since Free Pascal supports the Object Pascal dialect, it is Object Oriented.

Needs a lot of work to be done (specially the performance of syntax highlighting with large files). I didn't initially plan this for public release, but maybe some people here would be interested on it (specially since like I said the IDE feels a lot like the Blitz one, and you can write dlls on it to use in BlitzMax).

If there is enough interest from the community, I will further develop it. I would love to see some Blitz-like libraries written in and for MaxPascal. For example, would be awesome to see wxMax or MiniB3D ported! (since you can make dll's with Free Pascal, we would use MiniB3D with any language this way).

I will write myself wrappers for ColdSteel and Blitz3D SDK.

Download MaxPascal 0.8 (Win32): http://www.coldsteelengine.com/stuff/MaxPascal/MaxPascal08_win32.zip

LarsG(Posted 2008) [#2]
hey.. this is cool. :)

I couldn't get the GL samples to work though; it complained that I didn't have the gl unit.. :(

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#3]
Oops! That's because the compiler configuration file was using absolute paths!

To fix it, go to the "bin/i386-win32" folder, and replace all the contents of the file "fpc.cfg" with the following:

#IFDEF RELEASE
  -O2
  -Xs
  #WRITE Compiling Release Version
#ENDIF
#IFDEF DEBUG
  -glh
  -Crtoi
  #WRITE Compiling Debug Version
#ENDIF
-Sgic
-Fu../../units/$FPCTARGET/
-Fu../../units/$FPCTARGET/*
-Fu../../units/$FPCTARGET/rtl
#IFDEF FPC_CROSSCOMPILING
  -XP$FPCTARGET-
#ENDIF
-Xs
-l
-viwn

JaviCervera(Posted 2008) [#4]
I have a Blitz3D SDK wrapper working flawessly in Free Pascal! I will include it in a future update of the editor.

Doesn't the font & colors look a lot more like B3D now? :)

Steve Elliott(Posted 2008) [#5]
I like Pascal myself - good luck with your project.