Help - Toast problem on OSX

Archives Forums/General Discussion/Help - Toast problem on OSX

mrtricks(Posted 2008) [#1]
I had Toast 8 Titanium on my MBP and suddenly it won't work, whatever I do. It quits unexpectedly as soon I open it. I tried deleting it and all its preferences, and reinstalling it, and still no luck. Does anyone have any knowledge about this?

[edit]Damn, I meant to put this in the General Discussion - can a mod move it for me?

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#2]
Showcase?

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#3]
you didn't upgrade your OS or install a different version that interfers, right?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2008) [#4]
Damn! I was hoping for a more wholemeal discussion than this.

jkrankie(Posted 2008) [#5]
what do you use it for? if it's just file backup you can make a burn folder on the desktop by right clicking (or control click i guess) and burn files from there.

Cheers
Charlie

mrtricks(Posted 2008) [#6]
The only thing I can think of that I have installed was Parallels (I already had Bootcamp and used that as the Parallels OS) but I'm not sure of the timing.

I use it to burn DVD-Videos VIDEO_TS folders I've made in DVD Studio 4, and using the Finder's burning function means the disc won't play on the mac... I could use the burning function within DVD Studio, but to be honest I like Toast and I want to use it if possible.

Winni(Posted 2008) [#7]
What happens when you open a Terminal and then

cd /Applications (if that's where you installed it)
cd Toast 8 Titanium
open ./Toast Titanium.app

This way, you might actually get an error message in the Terminal about what's going wrong.

In worst case, try uninstalling Parallels via their uninstall utility (it's in the installation disk image) and reboot, then launch Toast 8 again.

It also won't hurt to install the latest Toast 8 update, if you haven't installed it already.

There's a chance that Parallels' and Toast's drivers have a conflict. You should only use the most recent versions of both products.

mrtricks(Posted 2008) [#8]
Cool, I'll try all those when I get home - cheers...

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#9]
enay... it didn't go unnoticed.

mrtricks(Posted 2008) [#10]
Nothing has worked :( Trying to open from Terminal was no-go.

Don't tell me I'm going to have to format the hard drive and reinstall OSX and reinstall every single damn application again...

I had another funny problem - opening a PDF online, and Safari said it couldn't find an app to open the PDF in (Preview was greyed out). Wonder if it's related?

Winni(Posted 2008) [#11]
Well, a remote diagnosis is difficult if I don't even see what's happening (or not happening).

I did not expect that opening the Toast from Terminal would work; but it's sometimes shows error messages that are otherwise invisible, like reports about missing files. (I once had a problem with iPhoto 08 on a machine, and trying to launch it with the open command actually did return reports of what files the program could not load and where it was looking for them.)

PDFs: Open Finder, select a PDF file and press Command-I (or right click on the file and click 'Get Info'). In the info window, there is a section named 'Open with' where you can choose an application. If you select 'other app...' and change the filter to 'all applications', you can change the default app to any program you like. If you check the 'change for all' checkbox, all PDFs will by default be opened with the selected program. The Preview application is in /Applications. Changing the app here should also change the behavior of the web browser.

There is a ridiculous workaround #1 for Macs that you should always try --before-- you actually scratch your hard disk and re-install. Boot the OS X installation DVD and launch the Disk Utility from there, then let it check and repair all file permissions. When it's done, reboot and check if it makes a difference. The funny thing is, it quite often helps.

But if everything fails: Save your data, format the system hard disk and install a clean operating system. Don't we all just love doing that?

And remember: It's a Mac and it 'just works'... ;-)

mrtricks(Posted 2008) [#12]
Tried the Disk Utility, no joy unfortunately. Looks like it's fresh install time :(

If I'm going to do this, and spend all the time reinstalling my apps, is there a piece of software that will ghost my fresh installation onto a Disk Image, so that in future I can just use that to restore to a good state?

Winni(Posted 2008) [#13]
I think SuperDuper is your friend:
http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#14]
I take it you have not thought about a time machine setup. no jokes please :OP

mrtricks(Posted 2008) [#15]
I take it you have not thought about a time machine setup. no jokes please :OP

I'm on Tiger still. Mind you, I didn't know Time Machine was for apps and settings, I thought it was just for data...

Hey, that SuperDuper looks good, I'll definitely look into that when I start over with this machine.

MrTAToad(Posted 2008) [#16]
Time Machine will store everything

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#17]
bit like a better windows system restore