texas hold 'em

Community Forums/Showcase/texas hold 'em

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#1]
I am working on my first real blitzmax project, texas hold 'em. Thanks to corin, I have a working dealing system that I am still working on learning, every time I make a substantial working update or need help, I will post, with or without the code, so you can see the latest changes.

big10p(Posted 2008) [#2]
FYI, this forum is for when you've actually got something to show. ;)

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#3]
oh I'm sorry lol I'm used to this type of section being for WIPs. sorry!

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#4]
You can use your worklogs to show off your WIP's :o)

Snarkbait(Posted 2008) [#5]
I started a texas hold 'em project in b+, but like most projects I start I got bored with it and moved on. :P The game mechanics aren't too hard, the difficult part is programming the computer player AI.

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#6]
ross C whats a worklong... you mean my signature?
snarkbait, I get bored with my projects too... I'm only doing this to learn and because I love texas hold em.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#7]
No, if you look at the top of this page, being in the 'community' tab, you can see a 'worklogs' button.

There you can set up what is basically a blog, and post WIP's there.

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#8]
ok thanks I will do that :)

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#9]
I don't like the worklogs tbh, as other users can't post comments up on your work. Which means if that is the level of feedback you want, your going to have to set up a forum thread for your work anyway. Just not in the showcase area :)

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#10]
The other areas don't seem to be very welcoming either lol and yes it would be great if people could simply post comments... guess comments will have to come when I have problems lol.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#11]
Ah don't worry. Most of the decent people on here will spot good stuff if they see it. I've posted only a very few things in this forum for showcasing, and gotten very little, but good feedback.

It's good for you to hear people's opinions, and usually improvements the final product if they is one. I don't post much because, i know it isn't that good.

Post here when you have something to show and people will give you good feedback on it.

I see this forum as more of a discussion place, and help forum. The general discussion seems to hold the most lighthearted subjects.

Oh, and when you do post, post some screenshots so people can see what you've done so far, and perhaps even give you graphical style assistance, or even a video of it in action. You'll get the most feedback that way :o)

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#12]
I realize I can get great help here :) but since I'm blindly feeling my way through making a card game, I wanted help along the way... guess I'll have to just keep making specific threads in the questions section. Thanks for your help all!

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#13]
just as a point of interest

are the card face images going to be accessible to the end user or in a data file / pak?

i ask as its always great to change the deck 'with the right sort of images' ;)

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#14]
since this is a learning thing, I'm going to push the limits and try to learn a lot. ATM all I can do is deal out a deck of cards and print them, though I do have it so the top two cards are your cards, and those are drawn with drawtext. Also I'm having a ton of trouble finding a deck of card faces online I can use, all I have is a back. So for now, I have nothing but a back and text lol.

Snarkbait(Posted 2008) [#15]
use cards.dll ;)

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#16]
no scanner atm :(

Snarkbait(Posted 2008) [#17]
No, I mean the dll that windows has built in (used by solitaire etc.) - I made a blitz+ interface for it a couple years ago, it could probably be ported to bmax.

Snarkbait(Posted 2008) [#18]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=1381

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#19]
i love the way decks of cards have (C) on them
i mean the concept of cards are centuries old

the only difference is the ace of spades image as that is normally larger than the other three and the royalty
but come on how many times can you draw a really shitty poe faced woman with her siamese twin underneath and for it to NOT look like any other poe faced siamies twin drawn shittily?

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#20]
lol
snarkbait I don't use windows I have a mac thanks anyways.

Snarkbait(Posted 2008) [#21]
Oh... nevermind ;)

LineOf7s(Posted 2008) [#22]
Some cards for you (I have more, but I'm not at my home computer right now):

http://www.jfitz.com/cards/

http://www.waste.org/~oxymoron/cards/

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#23]
thanks a million lineof7s! :)
this project is on hold while I learn as much as I can about types,
I am using http://www.2dgamecreators.com/tutorials/gameprogramming/index.html
mainly to learn, great tutorials there :)
And corin who wrote my dealing lines of code is too advanced for me lol I'm still trying to completely figure out what he did so I can get this going but I'll get there eventually.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#24]
Someone posted some cards up a while back and I tarted them up... Don't know if you're interested?

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#25]
I don't really know how to "cut an image up" in bmx so I'll use lineof7s link cuz that gives an individual image for each card, but thanks anyways!

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#26]
once you know how (ive forgotten the blitz3d version at the moment) you'll be thankfull of it
one file like that one instead of 52 individual faces + backs + jokers + anything else
they may seem small but one file takes up one drive cluster (in windows anyhows dunno bout macs) so sometimes its like putting a shot in a pint glass
would you rather have one bottle or dozzens of nigh on empty pint glasses

z80jim(Posted 2008) [#27]
ya I know it's a much smaller file, but until I actually get somewhere I'll stick to the simple and use 52 files lol.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#28]
Well in blitz2D/3D you use loadanimimage no idea about blitz max.

The advantage over separate files is more that you just reference each card by a frame rather than poncing about with arrays or whatever... anyway... it's there if you want it!