Kaleido visual effect thing

Community Forums/Showcase/Kaleido visual effect thing

tesuji(Posted 2008) [#1]

Download Mac and Windows versions from here

Started out as a realtime texture experiment with Blitzmax. Doesn't use any image files as all content is procedurally generated. Not had to time to turn it into a proper screensaver yet or add a decent preset editor.

Enjoy.

Last edited 2012

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#2]
It looks cool but I couldn't get it to run on Mac, your file doesn't seem to be an exe or an archive or anything.

ashmantle(Posted 2008) [#3]
Really impressive. I loathe screensavers, but this one I would strongly consider using for that purpose.
Windows version btw.

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#4]

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2008) [#5]
cool

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#6]
Please add ability to load an MP3 file...

BlitzMax doesn't support MP3 and it probably wouldn't be wise anyway, considering the cost of a license for software which can play MP3's.

taumel(Posted 2008) [#7]
You should zip the mac content.

TomToad(Posted 2008) [#8]
The resolution is hard coded for one that will not work on my monitor.

tesuji(Posted 2008) [#9]
@ImaginaryHuman - Sorry, forgot to zip it up. Should now work for the Mac. Guess unix executables without file extensions confuse the browser a bit ;)

@TomToad - Resolutions currently supported are 1280x800, 1024x768 & 800x600 @ 32bit in that order of preference. What resolutions/bit depth can you handle? I've no problem adding more...

puki(Posted 2008) [#10]
Oooh, this looks very exciting.

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#11]

puki(Posted 2008) [#12]
I really like this - been staring at it for ages.

What are the full controls? I found I can change things by prodding the odd key. What is the full control set?

puki(Posted 2008) [#13]
Ah, in fact, pressing 'H' gives a help screen.

TomToad(Posted 2008) [#14]
That's strange. Don't know why my monitor doesn't support 1280x800. It's well within it's range of display modes. But for some reason it doesn't work and apparently not reporting back to Windows that it doesn't so your program doesn't know to fall back to a lower setting.
BTW, my monitor's native resolution is 1440x900

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#15]
Well impressive, tesuji.

z4g0(Posted 2008) [#16]
these 'demo-scene' things looks magical and miraculous to me :O

puki(Posted 2008) [#17]
It reminds me (in a way) of when I bought a Playstation, and it had a similar thing that you could play music to. I used to be mesmorised by it. I even used to find if I sat there long enough I'd start seeing dolphins every so often.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2008) [#18]
This looks pretty cool on my iMac, runs well, curious how you did some of the effects.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#19]
Doesn't seem to work on my intel box. Nothing like the screen shots?

tesuji(Posted 2008) [#20]
@ImaginaryHuman - At the core there's a single 256x256 (optimum size for performance) texture being manipulated at pixel level with a simple cellular automata type algorithm. This texture also has 'blobs' following a spline path being drawn on it as well as some palette rotation thrown in for good measure.

The texture is then rendered in a variety of configurations using drawimage with some scaling,rotation, alpha/shade & light blending etc.. (only 2D used currently). I also render some static generated gradient textures over the top along with some simple particle effects.

There are quite a few parameters for each layer and the combination of layers provides the overall image complexity.

@MGE Sorry to hear that. What spec machine are you on? Mac or PC intel?

sswift(Posted 2008) [#21]
To be honest, the screenshots you have there don't look that great, and I almost didn't download it because of that. But damn, even with the clashing colors of some of the effects, this thing still looks amazing in motion.

I don't know if all the effects are randomized or not, but there was some kind of matrix style 3D effect with black shapes in a sea of red about 30 effects in that blew me away.

Reminded me of the heydays of the demo scene, only in high res and at 60fps.

sswift(Posted 2008) [#22]
So you're only doing 2D movements of the texture? Then the 3D effects are just created by parralax then? Interesting.

tesuji(Posted 2008) [#23]
Yeah, static screenshots don't really do it justice. Should invest in fraps and upload a video I guess.

All faux 3D effects are created with plain old Max2D drawimage scaling and rotation.

I wouldn't mind trying to mix in some real 3D as well if I could work out how to treat an image as a 3D quad. A rotateimage img,pitch,yaw,roll would be nice :)

TomToad(Posted 2008) [#24]
Fixed my problem with a hex editor so that the first resolution it will try is 1440x900 :)

Now it works and it looks really nice. :)