Runes of Avalon 2 feedback request

Community Forums/Showcase/Runes of Avalon 2 feedback request

anawiki(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi
We are finishing Runes of Avalon 2. Runes of Avalon is a mix of tetris-like and match-3 game. The game is almost done, what we want to do now is to get the max of fun of 60m demo. Please play the game and leave your feedback (here or through the link to the questionaire from the wrapper window).

Read more about Runes of Avalon here:
http://www.runesofavalon.com/

Screenshots:

http://www.runesofavalon.com/gallery.php
(it's from RoA 1, but will give you a clue about the game).

Changes in comparison to Runes of Avalon 1:
- added Amulet of Spells
- added chain reactions for spells
- new modes of play
- and a lot of little tweaks

http://anawiki.com/download/runes-of-avalon-2-beta

And just in case feedback page doesn't want to open, here's the direct link:
http://anawiki.com/feedback/roa2.php

best
Roman

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
Cool. Does it have the same storyline as Runes of Avalon 1 or have you taken it out? Is this game yours to distribute 100% now? (hope so)

(Downloading anyway so I can check it out). I still never reviewed the first one, got too busy, sorry about that. I can plug this one for you on Binary Joy though when it's ready and put it on my site if you sell it via BMT or Plimus (or Reflexive or BFG).

Good luck with it.

anawiki(Posted 2008) [#3]
RoA 2 continues the story of RoA 1... so it's not the same, though it is much shorter. And levels are hopefully better balanced. RoA 1 killed it's sales potential beacuse of too long opening story and too easy levels (never trust publishers :D ).

And this time I will distribute it on my own. Getting it done on your own is so much better for the long run.

cheers
Roman

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
Thanks for the info. All sounds good, I'll check it now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
OK played for 33 minutes and did 5 levels and made 2 A4 pages of notes at the same time (which is why I didn't finish many levels). I would have played for longer but it's costing me money playing your game in the daytime ;-)

OK, first the positives:

1) This game is better than the first one
2) Shorter story is good
3) Graphics and particles are brilliant
4) Music is fine
5) Game is good fun
6) Game is better explained than the first one.
7) Voice acting seems fine.

It's top notch, good luck with it.

Now some observations:

1) The loading bar fills up but the screen doesn't do anything for another couple of seconds
2) You need a cursor for name entry as I didn't know where my name would appear until I typed.
3) What is that funny little particle thing in the middle of the logo on the title page. It looks like a bug.
4) The OK button and other buttons go darker on mouse over which seems weird to me, they should go brighter. Some other things in your game go brighter so this is inconsistent.
5) The mouse click noise is a bit loud.
6) Perhaps showing "High Scores" at the top of the high scores screen would make it cleared. It also needs a BACK or OK button...
7) When I switched to windowed mode the music made a few tiny repeats (like a CD getting stuck). I guess you are streaming it?
8) Windowed mode has no minimise and doesn't pause on loss of focus. Get my framework and fix this ;-)
9) Is the story text final or is it going to be edited by an English person? If you knew it was going to be edited, my advice is don't release non-edited text in a beta as it looks a bit shoddy and you'll get loads of reports about text you are planning to edit anyway e.g. "Tower of Wizards" needs "The" before it. "With Help" needs to be "With the Help" etc. There's lots like this.
10) The story needs work as some of the wording isn't too hot like "cover of bad magic" and "evil spells" etc. It needs to be more descriptive and literary ;-)
11) I think one of them was too quick to read as I was looking for errors. The one about Morganna I think (it's a long one that spreads onto another page). Do they change frames after the same time interval or can you change the time delay values for each frame?
12)A tip says after matching 4 tiles a spell is placed on the board BUT then it doesn't say what the spell does or how to activate it...
13) I think the first level is too long. Players will want a more instant reward. Also level 2 is tricky with grey those blocks in the way. I know the first game was too simple for too long, this has gone too far the other way I feel. Sure ramp up the difficulty after a few levels, but the first few could be SMALLER and fill up the runes MUCH quicker imho.
14) You can here the rotate noise when you press right mouse button and you only have a single block.
15) An Undo button for when you place a block in the wrong place by accident and nothing happens would be REALLY great ;-)
16) When the bonus spell goes off (explodes) the game pauses for a second or so, I'd like to see the new shape on my cursor and to be able to begin moving it into place...
17) I wish I could match in groups instead of just lines. E.g a group of 4 which is 2x2 etc. Many times early on I kept expecting it to work when I matched groups (like many other matching games), yet Runes forces you to make lines. I realise this would screw up your whole game mechanic at this point but I thought I'd mention it...
18) Level 2 mentions corrupted runs but at first I thought this was the grey blocks with the cracks on (they look corrupt) and I thought I had to match grey runs with them and some kinda shell would fall off them revealing an inner rune that I could match normally. Later on I found out that actually the grey and red runs could have slightly different graphics which meant you have to match them once to change them then again to remove. This really isn't clear to me. There's no obvious way to see which are corrupt. How about some other method, like a misty vale over them etc? Also don't put grey runs on the same level as grey blocks in case they get confused, OR explain it better.
19) later on level 2 I got a bomb and it just cleared the whole board suddenly. Also during the noise, the lady said something but I couldn't hear it.
20) Am I supposed to be Evelyn or a "player"? She talks to me so I assume I'm some kind of apprentice. Was this made clear in the intro, I can't recall? Anyway, this breaks the "fourth wall" of story telling. Wiki it ;-)
21) Mini game text is not correct. It needs a THE like this: "Learn and practice THE Fire spell". Btw, the minigame is cool.
22) I did well on the minigame and the fire run kept on flashing as I found lots of runes but at the end the result scroll didn't say well done you did it 4-5 times or whatever so I've no idea what the point in doing it more than once is? At least a score bonus would be good (make it clear that I got it from multiple "fillings" or whatever).
23) Back in-game the tip says "Fire spell needs". It needs "The" before it. Also it says "red or blue rune" but should be "RUNES".
24) BUG: When I saw the "Great, you've collected enough rune magic" it was in a certain font. I then moved the mouse over the amulet and a tool tip popped up for one of the spells and the font on the tip dialog suddenly changed to a much smaller font (the same one as the tip dialog).
25) The arrow on the tip mentioned in 24 points left and I was clicking on the rune on the left of the amulet but nothing was happening. Then I realised the fire run was on the LEFT hand side. This was confusing. How about: longer arrow, or move fire the RIGHT instead, or show the fire run graphic on the tip scroll, or make the the fire one glow, or make the fire one look more like actual fire!
26) The Map needs a back button. I completed level 5 and wanted to exit to the menu to write this list but I had to start level 6 first which was annoying.
27) When the map music loops, there is a click noise at the loop point, not good. Maybe check your other music too.

Hope you find these points useful. They are nit picking and I'm sure some of the ideas you won't want (and won't have time) to implement. The game overall is excellent and I wish you really good success with it.

As a matter of interest, what did Emmanuel Marty help you with? He's a great guy, I finally met him at the conference in Amsterdam and he showed me Azada 2 (it's HOT).

anawiki(Posted 2008) [#6]
We made a new version that includes a lot of Grey's suggestions (and other people too).

The most important / biggest changes are:
- new tile control mechanism (smooth move instead of "align to grid" + shadow drop + big X for runes that you can't place on board)
- board sliding effect on level start
- some levels redesigned
- "black" rune changed to "rainbow" rune
- improved gfx effect for bomb spell
- improved vanish spell
- improved hints

And we have a new feature image :D

http://anawiki.com/download/runes-of-avalon-2-beta

best
Roman