TinyPool prototype

Community Forums/Showcase/TinyPool prototype

Xip(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi all :)

well, this project is relly not ready for releas, but since the guy ho did the graphics dont have time to work on the project anymore, its been on the ice for some time, and i fear that i might not get around to finnish it... so i releas what i got, and people can play around with it if thay like.

it should be noted, that this project was from the begining only a test project to get in to the chipmunk 2d physics module, but after a while it seemd to mutate out of control, into what can only be descibed as a more "serius game" ;)

its not close to being finnished, i had plans for AI and possible Multiplayer mode, and there is not even a black ball on the table :P
but what the hell... those black balls is overrated anyway ;-)

there are some bugs ofcourse, like how balls fly outside the table if you use to mutch power, and so on...

oh well, hopefully i get to finnish it some time in the future :)

feedback is always nice :)

screenshot:

game file:
http://xip.software.googlepages.com/PoolGame.zip

Xip(Posted 2008) [#2]
well i guess its not that supricsing, since its not a finnished game, but i gues i was hoping for a few comments anyway?:S

Jesse(Posted 2008) [#3]
not a bad start. althoug I think the game is played with a stick :).
someone made a pool game here before with chipmunk also but I think the ball effects on this one are better.

Good luck finishing it.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2008) [#4]
I like it very much. Although, the line "stick" makes it a mībit easy, probably you should reverse the pointing direction for a more natural aiming feel (so the white sphere is between the stick and the green sphere).

Then the wait times make me nervous. You have to wait until no spheres are rolling anymore. As in real live, people start walking around the table already before all spheres rest, already calculating the new possibilities in their head. So you should draw the stick again shortly after a hit, but allow new hits only when everything rests again. Probably a signal somewhere, red for busy and green for ready to go.

One thing, lol, I managed to kick the white sphere out of the table. It then continued with the white sphere somewhere outside of the screen. Edit:well it jumped out several times but kicking it back worked only one time, so you need a key or autmatism to reposition a sphere.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#5]
green balls on a green table?

Starwar(Posted 2008) [#6]
Very nice.
But sometimes the ball gets off the table.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#7]
Thanx evryone for the feedback :)

most things you mention abouve is things that i have been planing to fix :)

@Jesse
tanx jesse, i did spend allot of times trying to make the ball act realisticly, i tryd out tons of online flash based pool games and never liked how the balls acted on any of them, but im glad you liked something i spent some time tweeking :)

@jfk EO-11110
tanx, glad you liked it :)
the line "stick" is a very temporary template-holder, and the guy doing the art have drawn a good looking pool stick, i just havent implemented it yet, when i do, the aim will be mirrord like you sugested.

i do like some aspects of the current aim, so a compromise might be, to have a dot infront of the ball

you comment about -displaying a controlabel aim while moving-, is not somthing i feel is very nesesery for my own sake, but i might implement it if it helps others :)
personaly i always wait anyway, and you can still plan your next move even if you dont control the aim, but it is very doable :)

@Ginger Tea
hehe well, im not claiming that it was the most briliant color shoise, and i can change it to blue in next version.
infact, it was meant as a template holder also, until my graphics-guy had drawn real balls with numbers and half-colors stripes, but it dont look like this will hapen, so blue balls is an alternative.
besides, that makes the balls the same colors as our swedish flag :P

@Starwar
tanx, well it is noted in my first post abouve ;)

apparenly, this is a common problem in chipmunk when moving objects to fast, there is a way to fix this, and i will look in to it :)