Katamari Damacy simple prototype

Community Forums/Showcase/Katamari Damacy simple prototype

Paolo(Posted 2008) [#1]
A "Katamari Damacy" prototype,
move the ball, grab all objects, and nothing more ...

Just did it for fun :)
although it wasn't so simple as I thought.

start with the smallest objects and so on ...

donwload here

Paolo.

jhocking(Posted 2008) [#2]
Katamari is a fun concept to play with.

Your demo has a couple obvious flaws in the physics:

1 - Stuff jiggles around too much. Objects should be mostly stationary and only moving when directly pushed on.

2 - The ball doesn't roll very well once you've picked up a lot of stuff.

Great start though!

6(Posted 2008) [#3]
Cool demo. I managed to pick up 96 objects before I got stuck.

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#4]
Cool, but I think you're making too much work for yourself! You keep drawing every item that's been picked up, even after it's well inside the ball, and you perform collision on all of the items, making the movement very laboured, and eventually the framerate will start going down.
The way katamari damacy does it is to use a single collision sphere which grows as you pick stuff up, and only the last few things you picked up are drawn. I think they get away with it by packing things in much closer.

Rob Farley(Posted 2008) [#5]
I got 106 items... couldn't find any more?!

JA2(Posted 2008) [#6]
Nice! I found 111 items :)

ICECAP(Posted 2008) [#7]
114 and thats all thats there hehe. I love this concept.

Paolo(Posted 2008) [#8]
Yes,
the trick seems to be detecting WHEN exactly the ball should be warped ... and having a smooth rolling movement at that time is not so easy

When the level starts, it spawns 135 objects but later on some of them fall down from the level and are erased before you grab them ...

Remember to hold "space-bar" for more speed and you can press ENTER many times to jump higher ...

Paolo.

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2008) [#9]
Also, your engine is drawing hidden polygons. I don't know much about blitz3d so I don't know if you can fix this.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#10]
That was pretty cool!
I got about 105 objects, got really hard to move around though.