Couple of games

Community Forums/Showcase/Couple of games

Arry(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi peeps,

Here are links to a couple of games I have created.
Thanks to everyone on here that has helped in some way or another.

Be gentle... :-)

Invaders : Standard shoot 'em up.

http://www.buzzardgames.com/direct/InvadersSetup.exe

Controls : cursor keys left/right, space to fire.

Fortress : shoot 'em up with a static turret against troops, jeeps, tanks, heli's etc.

http://www.buzzardgames.com/direct/FortressSetup.exe

Controls : cursor keys left/right, space to fire, cursor down to missile, cursor up = special weapon!

All comments, good or bad, appreciated.

jhans0n(Posted 2008) [#2]
Both games look like some retro-style fun.

I would love to take a look at them, but I'm a Mac guy here.

Arry(Posted 2008) [#3]
:-(

Sorry my bad - I should have said Windows only.
I'm only just starting out, so haven't got down the mac route yet.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#4]
Cool, played them both. My favourite was the turret one although I think it would benefit from bigger sprites and explosions. It get's pretty manic, I liked it.

The movement of the sprites (and starfield) in the invaders ones seemed a bit jerky plus I see you have Vsync off which shows as horizontal tearing on stuff like the "GO" sprite (rendered in a Star Trek style font I notice).

What are they made in B3D or BMax?

Oh yeah, maybe the installer should make desktop icons? (as a user-defineable option which is on by default)

Anyway, good work, look forward to seeing some more game soon!

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#5]
The centipede looking game looks cool. I'll have to check it out after work today.

Arry(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks for your comments.

I hadn't really noticed the jerky nature in the invaders one until you just mentioned it. It's slight, but definetly there. Not sure why though, will have a play later.

What is Vsync?

They are made in BMax.

Desktop icons : Yep, an oversight on my part and duly corrected! :-)

Oh, I forgot to mention that all these games have online high scores on the site my links send you to.

Thanks again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#7]
VSync = Vertical Sync. When you use BlitzMax you can use Flip 0 which is no VSync of Flip 1 which is VSync on (this avoids tears on the graphics but make sure your timing functions can handle it, I assume you are using delta timing or something?)

Arry(Posted 2008) [#8]
I'm told I'm not using Delta timing, but fixed frame rate.
I'm a bit new to this game malarkey..!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#9]
sounds OK to me but maybe the fixed rate needs to go up a lot so like 100 times per second?

Arry(Posted 2008) [#10]
OK - thanks again - I'll play with that.

I did however manage to sort the jerky stuff out. It was related to another post I made requesting help as I was getting some odd output - there were a couple of dodgy PNG files, and since I've corrected these the stuttering has gone.

Cheers.