New Game: Rip Off

Community Forums/Showcase/New Game: Rip Off

Sokurah(Posted 2008) [#1]
I actually posted this in the gallery 3 weeks ago, but though I'd put it here as well.

It's a remake of an old vector graphics arcade game from 1980, where the object is, for 1 or 2 players, to protect all the triangles in the middle of the screen.

Read more about the original game, here; http://klov.com/game_detail.php?game_id=9326

Download this remake (and others) here; http://tardis.dk/wordpress/

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#2]
Not tried it yet, but I'm feeling the retro vibe. Will def give it a go when I get home!

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#3]
Okay, had a go at it now.

Good:
Gfx + sound spot on.
Like the idea of the gameplay.

Bad:
The controls for the ship are seriously flaky. The acceleration and deceleration should be smooth, and for some reason the ship randomly moves at a funny angle as it comes to a halt.

The game seriously slows down when you fire all (4?) bullets.

Overall this could be a really nice game, but the bad points mentioned make it unplayable for me. I hope you have a crack at ironing out those problems, and it could be a winner!

Twitchfactor(Posted 2008) [#4]
Man, I used to love this game in the arcades, even though it was ridiculously difficult!

This has always been on my list of games to "update".

I can't wait to try this one out.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#5]
nice vector fun..... lurvly.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2008) [#6]
Why stick vectors on top of a rendered space scene?

Sokurah(Posted 2008) [#7]
@Nomen luni
I haven't really noticed the behaviour you're mentioning about the movement. The movement is not completely identical to the arcade version - just different, but turning to a different angle as it stops doesn't ring a bell (or I'm just too close to it to notice).

Oh, and the game WILL run slowly with 4 bullets on the screen...if you run the game on a ZX81.
...but not on any kind of modern computer. Considering what's going on under the hood, the bullets certainly shouldn't be the straw to break the camels back.
Can I ask what specs your computer have?

@Indiepath
Why not? - it looks good. ;-) ...but that's a matter of personal taste of course. :-)
If you'd tried the game (and perhaps you have since then) you'd know that you can toggle the backdrop on/off as well as showing the vectors as black/white too, so if you want real oldschool look, it can also do that.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#8]
Sokurah-
Core 2 duo 6600, 2GB ram, 8800 GTS. I can play Bioshock with all the settings full with no lag. Nobody else seing this slow-down?

Sokurah(Posted 2008) [#9]
Haha... (that's a "damn, that weird - I have NO idea what's goin on" laugh). :-)

That's the strangest thing - your computer is much much better than mine, so it can't be a hardware problem.

What OS are you using? - can it be that Blitz3D has a problem with Windows Vista (if that's what you're running?)

Can you get it to run without problems by turning some of the options on/off? - perhaps we can identify what the exact problem is.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#10]
Nah XP.. should have said. Weird indeed! I will have another go when I get home.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#11]
Turned everything off and still get the same. Bullets (even one) slow things right down. Occasionally, the ship moves sideways a bit for no reason whilst in transit.