Uno v1.0

Community Forums/Showcase/Uno v1.0

therevills(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi All,

This is my first post on the Blitz forums, but I have been a long time lurker.

Just finished my first game using the excellent Grey Alien Framework:

Uno v1.0

Screenshots:

Website!

Click here to Download (Windows Only)

Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#2]
Really nice.

Some suggestions:
- Support higher resolutions + a higher texture quality for cards.
- Instead of highlighting selected cards add a selection circle around them.
- Let menus and cards cast simple shadows (optional) to get a more 3D look.
- Make it possible to use custom images as background wallpapers.
- Make it possible to chancel the selection window of a wild card (close window without using the card)
- When the game ends and ths winner plays a draw two card as last one. --> Don't play out the draw 2 cards animation as the match is aready over.

*(Posted 2008) [#3]
Did you get permission to make this, if not then I would be careful as you could get sued for loss of revenue from the company that makes the tabletop version.

MrCredo(Posted 2008) [#4]
yup - you should rename this project - and i think it is better do make a bit different cards... (or rules)

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#5]
Nice!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#6]
Cool, I used to love Uno as a kid! Downloading now. You might be OK calling it UNO as it's free or you could just tweak the name like UNA or something...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#7]
If "Uno" is a trademark and the game is near identical then you won't be OK, free or not.

I couldn't even call my snooker game "World Snooker" - the WPBSA threatened me with lawyers if I didn't change it - and that was only for a work-in-progress game.

Don't assume they won't bother with you - there's a strong possibility that they will. As Edzup said, they'll prosecute you for loss of profits and although that will be for a lot, they'll expect you to pay for the cost of the legal action as well, and their lawyers aren't going to be cheap.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#8]
Depends if they do web searches and actively persue such a thing. Also "fan" games are often tolerated, it depends n the company. I've never got any emails about my free Tetroid game. Anyway, changing the name (and maybe the look of the cards if they are too similar) could be OK. But I'm not an expert in these areas. You can always leave it is and wait for any contact and then change because perhaps you'll never be contacted. Some I think people can be over paranoid in life, and sometimes you've just got to get on with it...

I just played it and it's cool, very nice to see the framework used nicely for a proper complete game, well done!

9572AD(Posted 2008) [#9]
They can own the look and the name, but not the gameplay.
(At least, in the USA)

therevills(Posted 2008) [#10]
Thanks for the comments.

I have sent an email to Mattel to ask permission to use Uno, but it may take 4-6 weeks to get a reply, so in the mean time, I have changed the name of the game to "One".

Instead of highlighting selected cards add a selection circle around them
- I am going to make it so when you mouse over a playable card, it highlights and moves the card up slightly

Make it possible to cancel the selection window of a wild card (close window without using the card)
- Once its played, its played!

cards cast simple shadows
- Done

Don't play out the draw 2 cards animation as the match is already over.
- Official Uno Rules - "If the last card played in a hand is a Draw Two or Wild Draw Four card, the next player must draw the two or four cards. These cards are counted when points are totalled."

Download the new version v1.01

mtnhome3d(Posted 2008) [#11]
what was it that happened to that "Scrabble" game on facebook. if i remeber right the makers weren't too happy.

therevills(Posted 2008) [#12]
I am going to make it so when you mouse over a playable card, it highlights and moves the card up slightly

Done!

Twitchfactor(Posted 2008) [#13]
I'll have to download this when I get home, since my wife loves UNO and I'm always interested in Grey's Framework ... at work.

If the game's worth its salt, you can bet they'll come after you, the same way Bizarre Creations went after the excellent Grid Wars.

UNO's one of the top sellers on XBLA, so I suspect they care if they're losing any sales, even to a quick & dirty freeware game.

therevills(Posted 2008) [#14]
There are quite a few freeware Uno games, which you can find by googling Uno freeware:

UNO Freeware 1.2

Una Cards

Alive Directory Uno 2.0

So I should be okay.... plus I have changed the name and I have emailed Mattel.

Hope you enjoy the game and please let me know what you think about the game itself.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#15]
nice sounds, nice graphics, another testament to grey's framework to boot. Nice Thervills (;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#16]
As a matter of interest I did see an official Uno game pop up in a video montage of other boardgames at the show today, think it was on the Microsoft stand...

CGV(Posted 2008) [#17]
I downloaded your original version last week therevills, and I've played it extensively since and you have a pretty major bug in the game.

Sometimes, and quite randomly, it won't allow you to play the card you just took off of the stack.

At first I thought that maybe the game had complex rules about when you can play the card, but after observing this behavior through over 2 dozen play sessions I could discern no logical pattern to it.

therevills(Posted 2008) [#18]
Thanks for playing it CGV, hope you enjoyed playing it.

I found the bug you are talking about last week, but didnt get around to uploading a new version.

The scenario the bug happened:
1. The player previous to you had to either pick up two or four cards, because the previous player before them, played a draw two or draw four
2. The last card they picked up must be a playable card - but because it was a force pick up they cant play it!
3. You picked up a card which is playable, but I forgot to reset the force pick up card flag, so it didnt let you!!!! DOH!

It took me a long time to find this!!!

Anyway I have fixed this and I have made the hands face their player.

Click here to download One v1.01!

CGV(Posted 2008) [#19]
Yep, the bug's gone. And those are the kind of bugs that can ruin your week!

CGV(Posted 2008) [#20]
It would also be nice to see how many points the winner scored in each round and not just the running total.

The r0nin(Posted 2008) [#21]
Awesome game! I've been playing it for a week now. One suggestion: could you put in an option to set a number of points that you will play to, and the first player to that number of points wins?

therevills(Posted 2008) [#22]
It would also be nice to see how many points the winner scored in each round and not just the running total.

Done

option to set a number of points that you will play to

Done - As a text input on the options screen, although I wanted to do a slider bar, but couldnt get it to work (need to ask GA). Set it to zero to play forever or change the value.

Thanks for playing. Glad you like...

One v1.02

CGV(Posted 2008) [#23]
I'm very much enjoying this game, therevills, but as long as you're continuing to update the game I do have a complaint about the game play.

I don't know if the official rules require it but often when a round begins, the first card on the discard stack isn't a number card but a letter card such as "Skip".

I don't mind it when a player throws out such a card since that's the game, but it's really annoying when the computer does it.

Even if the official rules require it, I think that rule should be changed for a computerized version of the game.

Otherwise it feels as if the referee is in cahoots with the computer controlled players.

And it might also be a good idea to flip all the computer players cards over at the end of the round.

The r0nin(Posted 2008) [#24]
You ROCK!!!!

therevills(Posted 2008) [#25]
You ROCK!!!!

Thanks The r0nin!

Even if the official rules require it, I think that rule should be changed for a computerized version of the game.

CGV, I have added an option so that you can set if you want to allow words cards in the first draw or just numbered cards. (A draw four, will never be played first)

I have also changed the set max score to use less and more buttons, instead of a text input.

Plus fixed vsync problems and optimised the graphics (to create a smaller exe - eg changed the cards image from 32bit down to 8bit, which saved 200KB)...

Get v1.03 now ;-)

PS Sorry about the delay in responding, been working on my new game...

therevills(Posted 2008) [#26]
Compiled and uploaded using GA's framework 1.08 which includes a few bug fixes...

Download here