Fantasaar Alpha 0.0.8a

Community Forums/Showcase/Fantasaar Alpha 0.0.8a

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#1]

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#2]
I get 188 FPS on my P4 3.2GHz. Hey this is pretty neat for a few days work. Where are the gfx from, did you make them?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#3]
Doesn't work here.

Intel GMA 965 chipset + OpenGL + BlitzMax = No go.

wesker_re(Posted 2008) [#4]
Looks very nice. :)

190 FPS on Duo T7100.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#5]

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#6]
@GfK, How old is that PC?

GfK(Posted 2008) [#7]
Three weeks.

(and no, I'm not joking).

It runs GL stuff perfectly, unless its written in Blitzmax. Then it doesn't wanna know.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#8]
Strange... you have any idea how that can be fixed? ( i guess not :) cause you would have been the first to find out)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#9]
Mark knows whats wrong - check here. Not sure if he's going to fix it though.

(IMHO, he really needs to)

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#10]
Hmm. i think i will just add an option to select the driver :)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#11]
Make sure you default to DirectX, then. Because otherwise I won't be able to see anything in order to change it.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#12]
Haha. Good point ;-)

Maybe i should change my signature
"Your PC is incompatible with OpenGL. In the menu you can change to DX7 drivers."

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#13]
bout 150FPS Nvidia Geforce 6600

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#14]
Goldstar: OK thanks for info, big team!

I would always use DirectX first on a PC and flip to OpenGL if it can't be found. You CANNOT release a professional game and rely on OpenGL.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#15]
Could i turn that arround, Set OpenGL and if that cannot be found witch to DX7?
OpenGL is much faster as DX7.
Anyway, i plan to add a configuration tool, like they have in some commercial games.
After installation it will boot that, people can configure the game and start playing.
I will also add a menu shortcut for it.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#16]
Could you please make a version that allows either dx7 or opengl? And also allow it to run either full screen or windowed? Right now when I run it, nothing happens, so I'd like to try it in a variety of ways on my old pc. Thanks!

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#17]
OpenGL is much faster as DX7.

On some systems.

But on the majority DX is slightly faster, and at least DX works on pretty much all cards unlike OpenGL.
(There's a reason that the Windows version of BlitzMax defaults to using DirectX if you don't specify a graphics drivers)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#18]
Could i turn that arround, Set OpenGL and if that cannot be found witch to DX7?
I've found that often the system reports OpenGL is present yet all you get is a load of white squares so to the user it is not working. That's why I choose DX first then OpenGL if DX fails (unlikely).

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#19]
Ok. I see some advice here. Ill set aside my own ideas cause i beleive in all honesty you guys are right about it and have more experiance at this area. (or it must be plot :-P) DX7 it is, optionaly i will allow OpenGL if the user specifies it. Having read that DX7 is the Max default driver, is there still need for me to specify it?

@MGE, i will update the game later today so you can test. Your testing is b.t.w. very much apriciated!!
Thanks all!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#20]
use the compiler directives like ?win32 and ?MacOS (you need to close the section with a single ?) to set DirectX for PC and OpenGL for Mac (or just leave DirectX as the default driver on PC as you suggest)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#21]
I've found that often the system reports OpenGL is present yet all you get is a load of white squares so to the user it is not working.
This is precisely what happens on my new laptop.

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#22]
Haha, ok, i know where to ring a bell if i need "special-case" testing :-P

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#23]
Goldstar- When do you plan on making it online? :) are you starting right away or finishing engine?

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#24]

altitudems(Posted 2008) [#25]
Makes me want to finish my engine! I haven't tested this yet but good job :).

Edit: 50fps seems pretty low for what is on screen, I'll test later on my hardware.

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#26]
if blitzmax doesnt like intel x950 or x3100 thats 90% of laptops under £500 then

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#27]

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#28]
I update the screeny above.. those bars are really ugly, are they not? im looking for an alternative, but ran out of ideas. (It will have numbers printed over them anyway)

big10p(Posted 2008) [#29]
You've spelt 'Strength' wrongly.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#30]
Maybe just use shortforms for the stats, and have a mouseover effect with the full length name and description of the stat.

Hp
Def
End
Dex
Str
Int (Which you have cut off on the screen, and is missing an L)

Very nifty looking game though; love the graphics+UI...they blend together very nicely.