Miniships WIP

Community Forums/Showcase/Miniships WIP

Mikele(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi all!

Miniships Game will be a simple (free) 3d sea battle for 2-8 players (LAN/internet).
Here are the first public screenshots and gameplay movies from the game. The game is almost finished but need some works & tests.
More information soon.

Video1
Video2

Loktar(Posted 2008) [#2]
Sweet! I tried a game like this years ago, you using Ashadow? Looks nice!

Pinete(Posted 2008) [#3]
amazing!!!!!!
bufff!!!!
amaziiing...
:o)

all the best!

Lui(Posted 2008) [#4]
This looks really interesting...seems to be a lot of fun to play it^^

You are using the ashadow lib, right?

Edit: damn to slow^^

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#5]
This looks great! Makes me really want to push on with my 3D projects.

Jsoren(Posted 2008) [#6]
very nice looking, keep up the good work!

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2008) [#7]
Brilliant!!!

Jake L.(Posted 2008) [#8]
Very nice!

Torrente(Posted 2008) [#9]
Looks excellent. Nice job!

mkg(Posted 2008) [#10]
Very impressive! I look forward to the demo. One small criticism - I found the repeated use of the same crew sound got a little wearing as I watched the videos. The sound otherwise was fine.

Mikele(Posted 2008) [#11]
Thanks guys!
>Loctar, Lui
Yes, Ashadow inside (and Etna, Fastimage, Lotus particle etc.)
>mkg
Yes, the repeated sound is used when the guns are ready (will be 2 or 3 in final ver). I'm waiting for a new sounds from my friend (btw. ingame msx author). In fact you can hear now a few sounds from ... ermm... another game :)

Btw. GUI/HUD is WIP too :)

Blitzcoder(Posted 2008) [#12]
Thats amazing.

Keep up the good work

D2006(Posted 2008) [#13]
Looks really amazing!

What role does the wind play?
Are the cannon balls, the ship-speed or both influenced by it's direction and force?

regards,
D2006

Mikele(Posted 2008) [#14]
The wind affect the speed only. It was very hard to shoot enemy when the cannon balls had been influenced by the wind.

LarsG(Posted 2008) [#15]
Excellent work. :)

Mark Judd(Posted 2008) [#16]
Fantastic - hurry up and get it finished !!
Really like the look of this.

One tiny thing i noticed - the smoke / fire sprites are sometimes not aligning themselves to the camera in the little mini targetting view so you see them from an angle instead of straight on.

This looks excellent though.

Mark

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2008) [#17]
This looks uncannily like 'Pirates Gold', which is a good thing. Well done.

ckob(Posted 2008) [#18]
I was working on something like this awhile back however stopped do to time constraints (can see it in gallery). Mine didn't look nearly as good Congrats on an awesome looking game.

EmerGki(Posted 2008) [#19]
Cool!

angel martinez(Posted 2008) [#20]
Impressive! very good work.

Murilo(Posted 2008) [#21]
Looks great! Can't wait to have a go...

Tab(Posted 2008) [#22]
Very nice work. ^_^

I like the water.

semar(Posted 2008) [#23]
Nice one, and interesting concept.

Well done Mikele, keep on !

Sergio.

Leszek(Posted 2008) [#24]
Well done. It is interesting concept

mrbombermillzy(Posted 2008) [#25]
Ok, seeing as this thread has been given a kick, hows it going Mikele? Have you managed to finish this yet?

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#26]
There's no mention of it on his(her?) website, so it must have been back-burnered. It looks like an awesome game.

I wonder how the scope was done. It's a 3D scene, so it must have been rendered to a screen buffer, but how was it copied? It's round, so a copyrect would't work.

Is it done with copypixelfast or something similar?

Interesting idea for a contest; "How was this done? (or how could this be done.") people would try to reverse engineer a cool feature from a demo or video. Just a thought.

Lui(Posted 2008) [#27]
oh this is not so difficult, you could use "copyrect"

Just create a sprite or similar, and attach it to the cam(as hud), then ad the texture, which recieves the result from copyrect
Then add a second texture with a alpha channel( or black and white ) to the sprite, thats all :-)

cam=createcamera()
hud=createsprite(cam)
  entityblend hud,1
  positionentity hud,0,-1,2

ren_tex=CreateTexture( 128,128 )
    EntityTexture hud, ren_tex,0,1

alp_tex=loadtexture("alpha.jpg",2)
    EntityTexture hud,alp_tex,0,0

while mainloop=1

CopyRect 0,0,128,128,0,0,0,TextureBuffer( ren_tex)

wend 

So you could be able to make nearly every form you want to have, without much work

Jerome Squalor(Posted 2008) [#28]
kinda reminds me of the pirates of the caribbean online game. the part where you steer a boat and shoot others. veeery nice work.

Axel Wheeler(Posted 2008) [#29]
Thanks Lui, that makes sense.

I emailed Mikele about the revival of his thread, so maybe he will give us an update. I hope this game gets released.

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#30]
Nice, Kinda reminds me of Sid Meyer's Pirates.

Mikele(Posted 2008) [#31]
Hello everybody!

We are hard working on final version. Our plans are little change because some portals want to buy this product. If you like to see latest (wip) version please check this link: http://www.freakytikiproductions.com/Mini_Ships/index.php

Cheers,

Mikele

InvisibleKid(Posted 2008) [#32]
i love it. it looks very similar to an idea i started working on a few years ago (but never had the time to take it farther then some minor idea testing).

imo if it plays as good as it looks, you have a winner. i look forward to trying it out.

is it just ship battles or can you do other things. i always wanted to try and make a multiplayer pirate game based on gameplay ideas from pirates of the caribbean(the first game), port royale 2 and sid meier's pirates.

SopiSoft(Posted 2008) [#33]
Looks awesome in the videos, must be fun to play!