Ball demo (Stress test)

Community Forums/Showcase/Ball demo (Stress test)

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#1]
A stress test that i have made to test the new beta of Draw3D. (Draw3D is a lib to use 3D hardware for 2D Games (only B3D code))

With my grafikcard (6600GT) i can use the maximum of balls, but i can only calculate 343 without problems (singlecore 2600XP) -.-

My specs at (GFX/CPU)1280*1024 fullscreen with:
343 balls : 1 / 3
729 balls : 3 / 13
4913 balls : 12 / 545(!)

http://www.abrexxes.huntingsoftware.de/blitz/ball.zip

Note: If you hide the menu it is a little but faster, but that dont change the times to calculate/draw.

bytecode77(Posted 2008) [#2]
works fluently for the most time on my school computer even with 800x600 and 729 balls!

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#3]
Wow, you have a good school. :D

Roland(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hey Abrexxes, I love your Draw3d lib... I've started using it in a new project I'm working on and I can't believe how fast and flexible it is... Are you planning on releasing a new version soon? Any news about new features, etc?

thanks for such a great and helpful lib!

roland

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hi, the lib is from hectic, i only make the beta tests. I am not shure if the next version will come soon.
It is possible that hectic will remove some commands like glow and the "native" commands (line ovel etc) because the createtexture command has problems on some cards with new drivers. But for this you will have other commands with more power and more effects like DrawQuad3D.

Here are some samples of the new 3.1(beta) version, as you can see in the "image button" sample, there will be some other commands to replace glow (left glow/right loaded texture). (In fact you can load every GFX as glow effekt so you are more flexible) The goal is to load for "every" effekt a texture as blitz3D is at the moment not able to work on every card with Createtexture (and flag 2). This means that on some cards you can not see lines etc if you use the current commands.
http://www.abrexxes.huntingsoftware.de/temp3/d3d31.zip

If you want to use this in a new projekt the update to 3.1 later will not be a problem. There are only some new params in some commands. New are thinks like SetPixel3D SetTexel3D DrawQuad3D and so one (see examples above). :)

bye

@rtur(Posted 2008) [#6]
1280*1024 fullscreen:
4913 balls : 5 / 330

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#7]
...how old are you, devil?

Danny(Posted 2008) [#8]
I get 9/360 on dual 1.66GHz, nVidia Go7600...

Abrexxes, can I ask you something else about Draw3D (which is GREAT by the way!!). When using a bitmap image for buttons, the images get a bit blurry and aren't truely 'pixel perfect' anymore. Probably because how texels get interpolated. But do you know of a way/settings/?? to get rid of this?

Thanks,
Danny

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#9]
You will lose a pixel on each axis (UV mapping), that is the problem. You can avoid this if you "grab" a pixel more, so if you have a 80*60 button grab 81*61 ;).

I will ask hectic to make an official Thread for Draw3D in the B3D Section.

bye

Danny(Posted 2008) [#10]
Thanks for that abrexxes!!

Yes, good idea to setup that thread;
I think Draw3D has a lot of potential!

D.

Abrexxes(Posted 2008) [#11]
@Danny
For the buttons, its better to draw a 79*59 button, so you can grab the real size 80*60 and the mouse collision is perfekt, else your mouse will "see" a 81*61 pixel area. But check it out to find "your" best way.

cu