New Retro Game: Rocket Boot Santa

Community Forums/Showcase/New Retro Game: Rocket Boot Santa

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#1]

This is my latest retro style platformer written in plain old Blitz Basic.
It's simple and clean, help santa collect all of the presents before the snow gets to deep!
Yes, I know Xmas is over, but hey, try it any ways!

The download is the demo - lasts 20 minutes.

Home Page Download:
http://www.hsretrogames.com

Detailed Info (controls etc) & Download:
http://www.hsretrogames.com/info_santa.htm

Direct Download (8 mb):
http://www.hsretrogames.com/Install_Santa.exe

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#2]
Rocket Boot Santa? That's the kind of concept I can get along with!
I shall download it forthwith.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#3]
Reminds me of an old Amstrad game called Jet Boot Jack. Any influence?

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#4]
now i want to remake icicle works from the c+4

after i learn blitz that is ;)
must stop frittering away my free time with dvd's

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#5]
Gfk, No, never heard of Jet Boot Jack. I never played any Amstrad games back in the day.
Was there a C-64 version of that game?

I would have to say the game was influenced by a combination of Lode Runner and Jet Pack. In my mind anyways...

Any one like this game so far?

I know it's not visually stunning as far as particles and so forth. But as retro games go, it should be pretty fun
to play and has 30 levels and a level editor to edit and play your own levels.

markcw(Posted 2008) [#6]
I do. Never mind, it'll keep for next Christmas.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#7]
I've been meaning to play this fo a while. Just downloaded it (after seeing it again in the Blitz newsletter) and will try to play tomorrow. I liked rocketboot hero, it was well funny.

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#8]
Thanks for playing markcw, good to hear that you liked it.

Thanks for downloading Grey. Check it out. My kids had fun playing it during development :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#9]
Hey neat game, it's good and fun. I can't complete level 5 though. I have to go down to the bottom right, use the TNT to blow up the blocks, then get the key to open the locked area but there are still blocks at the top middle I can't get through, plus ice blocks in the middle but they are above my head so how to you shoot them? I must be missing something. Btw, I pressed ESCAPE in-game expecting to see a menu, but it just quit out - this was unexpected.

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#10]
Hey Grey thanx for playing.

Yeah about level 5 the game starts getting a bit more tricky and problem solving. Any unreachable ice or stone tiles are blown up with TNT, you just have to find the right detonator. As for the stone (grey) tiles (at foot level) santa can roll through them by pushing and holding down while moving left or right. As all of my games ESC exits the game and the SPACE BAR pulls up the game menu. I also want to add, keys can be tricky becouse they switch open and locked gates every time you pick one up. So make sure you get the presents or items behind open gates first.

Anyways, check it out a bit longer if you have time. I will be sure to check out your new game as well :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#11]
Ah thanks for the rolling tip, that should solve my issue. I think you should seriously consider changing Escape to In-game menu and space to nothing or Pause, and program in a quick exit key for when you are developing like Ctrl+X.

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#12]
Thanx for the advice. I will definately consider your suggestion. I just hesitate on changing that as all of my games use ESC as a quick exit and space for pause/menu. I would'nt want to confuse my existing users. I would probably have to update all my other games as well.

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#13]
I would'nt want to confuse my existing users

Except in the long run, the keys grey suggests are a whole lot more standardized than your current assignment.

If I were to try it out of the blue, that's what I'd expect to happen when pressing those keys.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#14]
I used to use Escape to exit as well, but I changed over to escape bringing up a menu when I made tetroid because it's what all the other main-stream and casual games were doing. You probably don't need to alter the keys in your old games (or even this one), but use the new keys for future games and all you millions of future users :-)

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#15]
It's about time for me to do some updates again anyways, increase my demo time limits for one thing and add the ESC/menu to my latest stuff that has menus. Thanx again for the tip guys.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#16]
no prbs. I guess the more you can do to make the games feel "standard" in their interface makes them seem more professional and thus sales are more likely...