Grey Alien Blitzmax Game Framework V1.06 out NOW!

Community Forums/Showcase/Grey Alien Blitzmax Game Framework V1.06 out NOW!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi everyone, I'm proud to announce the release of V1.06 of the Grey Alien BlitzMax Game Framework!

The Game Framework is a well-respected collection of extremely useful source code files that you can use to produce professional quality games such as Fairway Solitaire (A huge top 10 hit on Big Fish Games) and Holiday Bonus (A highly popular Christmas themed casual game). Of course you don't have to make casual games with it, you can make shooters, platformers, educational tools or whatever takes your fancy! The framework is compatible with Windows and Mac OSX.

For more information please see my web page about the framework and don't forget to check out the FAQ:

http://www.greyaliengames.com/framework.php
http://www.greyaliengames.com/framework/faq.html

Here's a quick link to the AOTMG V1.06 demo for PC and Mac. You can also find links to Speed Run and Make Me Happy demos on the framework web page:

*Windows DEMO* (6.39Mb)
*Mac OSX DEMO* (6.29Mb) (Universal Binary)

This version has *many* improvements. It's probably my biggest release yet. The main point to note is that it is now 100% Vista and Mac OSX compatible. Also I've added Bitmap Font support and support for reading in Unicode text files for game text in other languages. Oh and I've added a scrollbar, a tooltip, fancy dialog transitions, powerful slideshow (watch the intro in Fairway Solitaire to see what I mean), and more! Here's a brief list of the major changes (many more were made and are detailed in each source code file):

Please Note: If you haven't received an email announcing the release of V1.06 with details of the new forum, then please let me know.

Once again thanks to my loyal customers and super helpful forum members for your continued support! :-)

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#2]
can it add a minimize button to the window?

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yes in Windows, plus I have a module tweak listen in my forum that does the same on MacOSX. When minimise is clicked the game will minimise and pause and the music will stop. It will resume when the window is maximised again.

Defoc8(Posted 2008) [#4]
well.. i jst ordered this framework thingy - never thought
i would..but seems im gettin old + jst cant be arsed to
reinvent the wheel anymore..
Im impressed with the list of features + im looking forward
to tinkering around with this.. keep up the good work :)

+happy new year..er..a little l8 :p

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thanks! your order has been processed. The feature list is pretty big now and it's very stable, mainly because the framework has been continually improved over the last 20 months.

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#6]
If i ever get blitzMax, i'll probably be getting this. It looks extremely useful and i've only heard good things about it :o)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#7]
Cool. What do you use at the moment then? Blitz3D? I started with BlitzPlus but craved OOP and BMax has that and neat 3D graphics card effects that can be applied to 2D textures. I love it.

Dustin(Posted 2008) [#8]
I continue to be impressed with this framework of yours. I'd already own it if I weren't still currently in B3D land.

Question: how well does it integrate with any of the current 3d engines (miniB3d, Irrlicht, etc.) available to BlitzMax? Or is it limited to strictly using BlitzMax's 2d abilities?

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#9]
Well, i'm liking blitzmax's minib3d application. For that reason i'd move to blitzmax, because i liked the blitz3d command set for 3d, and i'm pretty good at using it. Blitzmax's better types would be really cool too. And cross platform is always good.

Just stuck with blitz3d cause i can get results with it. I do realise it's slow though. So i reckon your framework would help me get the most out of blitzmax, along with minib3d :o)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#10]
I've never used any of the 3D libraries myself (being stuck in 2D land) however, I have advised a couple of customers how to integrate with them (you simply call any 3D logic/physics in my framework's logic loop and you call any 3D draw commands in my frameworks draw loop). So it should be fine, but I can't guarantee that until I see it with my own eyes. I think I'll ask on the framework forums if anyone has had any luck with 3D. Here's a bit on it from my FAQ:

http://www.greyaliengames.com/framework/faq.html#3D

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#11]
Argh...you're going to force me to eventually buy this thing. When I do, mark that day on your calendar. :)

Dustin(Posted 2008) [#12]
@Grey Alien: I always wondered how implementing another system worked. Now I can see how. Okay, I'm in. Once I finish the current B3D game I'll make the switch. Hopefully Flow will be up and running then!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#13]
Groovy!

Dustin: Good luck with Bots, I wanna see the finished game soon :-)

Dustin(Posted 2008) [#14]
Grey Alien: Hah, that makes two of us. Well, if this writer's strike goes on much longer I'll have plenty of free time to complete it!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#15]
Oh, are you a screenwriter then or work for movie studios?

Dustin(Posted 2008) [#16]
My day job is VFX character animator. I'm currently working on animating big, scary, shiny robots for "Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles". They got 9 scripts cranked out before the strike. And we're quickly getting close to being done with them.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#17]
wow, sounds cool. Hope the movie is decent!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#18]
***IMPORTANT***: I'm going to Austria for a week with my family to visit some friends from 16th-23rd Jan 2008. I won't be able to process any sales in that period but will be process them as soon as I get back. If you place your orders today and tomorrow (Mon/Tue) up to about 10PM GMT, I'll process them before I go away. Thanks for your patience.

NoBoDo(Posted 2008) [#19]
Jake... when you get back... I have been trying for over a week now to join your forum. It says it is sending me a confirmation email, but I never get the email (it is not in spam holding on the server either). I've emailed you twice about the problem (last weekend and yesterday) at the info@grey... address but didn't realize you've been on vacation until I came here.

Thanks,
Mark.

Cartman(Posted 2008) [#20]
I think he turned off automatic forum authentication because the forum was getting hit with spammers. He should be back soon.

Dreamora(Posted 2008) [#21]
Didn't get any mail from you at least not that I would have realized it.
the latest I have was the pre-release 1.05 beta you sent me when I bought it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#22]
Hi all, yeah I'm back from my holiday now. I haven't yet turned off automatic authentication (I don't know how) and you should have got an email. I'm not sure it's 100% reliable for some reason, don't know why. Anyway, I believe I've sorted it for you both now.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#23]
I'm going to the Casuality 2008 conference in Amsterdam for 4 days from Feb 5th to Feb 8th so won't be able to process sales or help requests until I get back. Thanks for your patience.

Qube(Posted 2008) [#24]
OY! process my account, lol :D

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#25]
I did within about 1 minute of getting your email ;-) Welcome aboard dude!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#26]
PLEASE NOTE: I am going away for a week from Friday 11th April to Friday 18th April and will not be able to process any Framework sales until I return. Many thanks for your patience.

andy_mc(Posted 2008) [#27]
@Dustin, that would explain why the series just seemed to stop dead after nine episodes, was getting really good. I hope they carry on making more.

@Grey, I might be getting max soon so you could potentially get a sale off me, I like fairway solitare and have ideas for a few 2D games of my own.

EnigmaticGames(Posted 2008) [#28]
I would probably purchase this and save my programmer a lot of time, but alas it lacks linux support. I feel that a casual game developer can not leave anyone behind and this framework does just that.

Bremer(Posted 2008) [#29]
Someone at Grey's forum has it running on linux.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#30]
andy_mc: Cool. BMax is great for sure and easy (and fun) to make 2D games in. Good luck.

EnigmaticGames: Yeah as zawran says, although not officially supported on Linux, several of my customers have got it working on Linux with hardly any effort. Mac is fully supported and I've experienced Mac conversion rates at twice the level of PC conversion rates, so that's definitely worth doing but I don't think Linux is particularly viable for selling Casual games (yet), although it may be more so for Retro/hard-core games...

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#31]
I'd limited success with getting BMax compiling within VMWare, but now I see that the framework will work (although unsupported) within Linux, I might fire up my VMWare copy of Linux Fedora.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#32]
Hi all, I'm flying to Seattle today to visit BFG (who I make games for). I'll be away for a week so will not be able to process sales or support queries. Also when I get back I have to have a minor operation and will be out of action for a few days. Thanks for your patience.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#33]
Hi all, I'm away on holiday for a week from Fri 18th to the following Friday so will not be able to process any sales or support requests until I return.

IPete2(Posted 2008) [#34]
Lucky bunny,

That explains it... :)

IPete2.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#35]
Got your email, will reply soon :-) Was sunny ALL week, we were in a holiday cottage 20m from the beach in Cornwall - lush!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#36]
Where about's in Cornwall? Just back from a stag in Newquay myself. I wouldn't recommend reef fishing after 10 pints ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#37]
Glad you'd a good holiday Grey, just been peeking at your latest updates:-

This version has *many* improvements. It's probably my biggest release yet. The main point to note is that it is now 100% Vista and Mac OSX compatible. Also I've added Bitmap Font support and support for reading in Unicode text files for game text in other languages. Oh and I've added a scrollbar, a tooltip, fancy dialog transitions, powerful slideshow

my attempts at running BMax within a VMWare copy of Linux tasks my CPU too much, my long term plan is too maybe try ubuntu & BMax. Although BRL's latest updates have improved BMax ability to run even within a VMWare copy of Linux... but I digress.

@Dustin:
I continue to be impressed with this framework of yours. I'd already own it if I weren't still currently in B3D land.

I moved from B3D land to BMax due to Grey's framework and highly recommend it... even before trying v1.06. I still pop back to B3D with a bit of JV-ODE but I've only released one product & that was with Grey's framework. As someone well known says around these parts - finish your product or I'll shoot maself!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#38]
Stevie G: Trevone, near Padstow. Nice cove where the tide goes out really far exposing rockpools etc.

@Blitzplotter: thx for the kind words.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#39]
@Grey, I've surf ski'd at padstow in the past (its like surf canoeing but you don't sit in the canoes, you sit on it - brilliant fun, and less easy to drown which is always good).

I'm of to Norfolks version of Cornwall in 1 weeks time.... Cromer, Woo Hoo!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#40]
That surf skiing sounds mad. Enjoy your break!

Hotcakes(Posted 2008) [#41]
Couple of things - what is limiting this from Linux compatibility? Is it only the fact that you don't run Linux/can't test?

Also, how easy would it be to opt to use the B3DSDK with this... I'm thinking I might need to buy B3DSDK for the old 2D support.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#42]
Yes I don't have a Linux setup so I can properly test it and say "Yes it works" although some Framework users have got it working on Linux fine. There's a linux thread on the framework forum too. Basically it should work fine but there may be a few tiny details that don't work because I use Windows and Mac API calls, and I would probably need to use an equivalent Linux call.

As for B3DSDK, I don't know enough about it but other people have got the framework working with other 3D engines no problems, so I don't forsee an issue with this.

therevills(Posted 2008) [#43]
Ive got my Framework games working with Linux nearly straight away (I had some file calls in different cases) apart from the sound not playing (which needs changing for Linux)...

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#44]
Doesn't FreeAudio work in Linux? That's the default that the Framework uses.

Hotcakes(Posted 2008) [#45]
All right another question. After reading the feature list in your FAQs I must say I am very impressed. Lots of fiddly little crap I've coded myself in the past that needs to be redone for Max now...

I can see that quite possibly a lot of sswifts' sprite system (which I also had my eye on) may overlap features in the framework, which I hadn't initially expected the framework to cover. I was wondering if you would care to compare and explain any features that sswifts system might still have over yours, being that it is probably more targeted (for sprite stuff)?

therevills(Posted 2008) [#46]

Doesn't FreeAudio work in Linux? That's the default that the Framework uses.

Dont know... I didnt spend too much time with it - Im not a Unix kind of guy - it took me a while just to get BlitzMax to work on it, when I did I loaded my games fixed the incorrect file calls and ran it - no sound... then formatted the drive and put Vista on it so I could that test that ;-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#47]
@Hotcakes: I've got sswift's system and had a look at it. He has a physics system which my framework does not have. Apart from that the functionality is much the same, although I may have some things he doesn't have and vice versa (I haven't seen his system for a while though). Possibly his system is more optimised because my system offers a fee more options, but I couldn't say for sure unless tests were done. My TSprite type is extended into TParticle and there is a whole particle engine to manage them - naturally this is very useful. TSprite is also extended into TButton which is contained and managed by a TMenu class, again this is invaluable for games and will save you many hours of programming alone, plus it is comprehensive with many cool options. Probably I should stop calling my framework a "framework" and start calling it an "engine" now because it has so many extras beyond a basic framework. Anyway, I hope you enjoy using it! :-)

therevills: OK thanks for the info,

Hotcakes(Posted 2008) [#48]
Ooh a physics thing. Not hard to roll basic physics on your own but it sure would save some time. Guess I'll just go spend happy and buy the both of them =] I like supporting sswifty anyways...

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#49]
I did find the physics thing quite CPU intensive but maybe that's just the way I was using it (I used it in a demo of his which had some bouncing objects and I hooked it up to the framework - check the docs for how I got it to work).

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#50]
I've just moved to Vancouver and my PC has not yet arrived, so I can't receive emails and process framework orders for a few more days. Sorry for any inconvenience.

Arghle(Posted 2008) [#51]
@Grey Alien: I purchased your framework a week ago. I've tried emailing a couple of times but haven't received any response. Please could you give me access to the downloads?

Htbaa(Posted 2008) [#52]
Have you read the post above you psychris?

Arghle(Posted 2008) [#53]
Yeah, but I noticed that Grey Alien has been pretty active on this forum over the past week, after my PayPal order. I only posted here hoping to get his attention because I haven't had any luck emailing directly or posting on the framework forum.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#54]
GA's a good guy and I'm sure you'll have access in a few days or sooner. You just happened to purchase the frame work at the worst time probably. Right smack in the middle of him moving, starting a new job, setting up a new pc, etc, etc. ;)

Arghle(Posted 2008) [#55]
Thanks MGE, that's reassuring. I don't wish to come across as impatient, I was just concerned more than anything else.

EDIT: And as if by magic, I now have access. Thanks GA!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#56]
Yeah I'm sorry about that. My PC is out of action and I process the sales on that. I can access the Blitz forum via my Macbook Pro and wi-fi so I carried on doing that fine :-)

GfK(Posted 2008) [#57]
Are you still taking orders on this?

(Your info page still has your UK address for cheques, btw)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#58]
Yes I am. Thanks for the info about the address error, will fix tonight.

The framework does not contain the projection matrix code, that's in my BFG only framework stuff. But it does contain a UserResumeFunction() which I am using after focus returns to the game to call some projection matrix code to reset it - you could use your own projection matrix and call your own reset code via that function. Of course I'm making an assumption that's what you were interested in the framework for but I could be totally wrong :-) Probably at this stage rewriting your game code to fit in the framework would be a big pain but there's plenty of useful code in there you can rip out and re-purpose!

GfK(Posted 2008) [#59]
I'm interested in it for various reasons. I'm tired of redoing the same stuff over and over. I don't imagine I'd use much/any of it as you have it. Rather rip bits out and put it where I want it.

Magicville's on hold for now anyway, but we'll see after Christmas.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#60]
I'm in the same boat as GFK regarding GA's framework. I'm only using bits and pieces as well. (mutex, vista folder access) It's worth the price just to gain access to a wealth of code that's proved itself to be stable.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#61]
@GfK: If you need you'd better get it soon, as something is in the pipeline...

GfK(Posted 2008) [#62]
@GfK: If you need you'd better get it soon, as something is in the pipeline...
My hands are financially tied right now. I'll have to take my chances as I can't do anything this side of Christmas.

Stupid Christmas. :/

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#63]
I'll buy you a licence if you want, then you can paypal me the cash after x-mas.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#64]
Nah man don't do that! But thanks anyway!

Ross C(Posted 2008) [#65]
It's x-mas. I'm feeling generous.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#66]
It's nice that people feel kind at Christmas, now to keep that spirit all year long! :-)

MGE(Posted 2008) [#67]
"If you need you'd better get it soon, as something is in the pipeline... "

Details please. Thanks.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#68]
I'll post a thread about it later today or tomorrow/weekend.

Ratboy(Posted 2008) [#69]
I finally got off my duff and ordered a copy today. Looking forward to messing around with it :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#70]
Congrats Ratboy, you are my final customer!

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=82042

Ratboy(Posted 2008) [#71]
Yay! :D

All the framework stuff was the part that made my brain glaze over when I'd tried to finish games in the past, so I'm glad I slipped in under the wire here.