Stramash WIP (2)

Community Forums/Showcase/Stramash WIP (2)

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#1]
Screenies

Short Low Res Videos
http://www.steviegoodwin.plus.com/Videos/Movie_0009.wmv
http://www.steviegoodwin.plus.com/Videos/Movie_0010.wmv

Here's a new demo of my 2d physics based game. I'd appreciate it if you could give it a go. Same venue as before. No goal as yet although you do win if you're the last team standing.

http://www.steviegoodwin.plus.com/TD3.zip

Controls are in read me. I've speeded it up a bit, improved the friction and most physics aspects. I'm going to scrap the idea of worms gameplay and opt for a single player .. kill everything within a time limit, collect things within a limit + a few more good ideas.

It takes a while to master but if you hold kick you can get the guy to do rolly polly's or spin if in the air. Great for high dives.

I've had great fun playing around with it. Please let me know how you find it.

Cheers
Stevie

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2008) [#2]
Very nice, Im not really understanding the plot or what exactly Im supposed to do but the gameplay is very cool. Im trying to understand the kicking and throwing thing...hehehehe.

bbl

Great job so far.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#3]
works great here Stevie, something sinisterly amusing about watching a little guy swim frutilessly towards the surface whilst something chomps on his bones.

big10p(Posted 2008) [#4]
Back on this, eh? :)

I'll try it tomorrow (too much red wine, ATM). :S

Pete Carter(Posted 2008) [#5]
if you finish this game and your car game it looks like we are in for a good year.

JA2(Posted 2008) [#6]
Very cool ;)

Xzider(Posted 2008) [#7]
Had alot of fun with this lol

Genexi2(Posted 2008) [#8]
Are we supposed to be allowed to ride on objects and fly upwards with them?
(sure makes for some easy transportation anyway)

Works good here, only niggle I have is that grabbin his neck can be a pain mid-air sometimes if I wanted to slow down the momentum.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#9]

Are we supposed to be allowed to ride on objects and fly upwards with them?

Yip. It just kinda worked out that way but I don't think it's a bad thing - quite tricky.

Works good here, only niggle I have is that grabbin his neck can be a pain mid-air sometimes if I wanted to slow down the momentum.

It does take a bit of skill but that's what I like about it. You can use the grapple or just fire a kick off in the opposite direction to slow yourself down.

Cheers folks.
Stevie

big10p(Posted 2008) [#10]
Yeah, this is cool. As you say, quite tricky, though. :)

BTW, some of the SFX seemed to trigger before the actual event appears on-screen. That's probably due to my crappy PC, though.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#11]
Thanks Big10 , sound needs refinement but seems ok here.

All comments welcome.

Midget Brutality - plan on having you save these guys :)
http://www.steviegoodwin.plus.com/Videos/Movie_0012.wmv

Some moves you can pull off ..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tm_Fo6WKrmo

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#12]
Fun Fun
I still have the other one of this....

I like it, but I can't figure out how to move my person... when I click on the head or hips it doesnt work.

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#13]

I like it, but I can't figure out how to move my person... when I click on the head or hips it doesnt work.

It's in the readme ... you get airtime when any part of your body is touching the ground only. You need airtime to move without the grapple.

250+ downloads , most from here. Any form of feedback would be nice folks.

Stevie

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#14]
I like it.
In these types of games one of the most difficult aspects for players is to learn how to move around game space.
With this one I have no problem from the first time.
1. Controlling is easy
2. Camera navigation is excellent
3. I am still trying to understand what I am supposed to do
4. Health bars (?) on the left side of the screen are flickering sometimes

z4g0(Posted 2008) [#15]
really stylish!!!

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#16]
Thanks Moraldi - just the kinda feedback I'm looking for - easy to get into - hard to master.

At the moment it's more of a playground. It will be single player. Each level will be a combination of some or all of these :

* Saving the wee guys ( see below )
* Killing everything on the level
* Feeding animals to keep them alive
* Collect things on the level
* Defeating Boss creatures
All within a time limit.

The health bars are left from the worms style game - they flicker when that guy is taking damage. They will be changed.

Cheers
Stevie

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#17]
that sounds interesting, different goals that get increasingly hard to do , associated with varying degrees of complexity of background scenery.

You say it will be single player, the way it is running at the moment it seems as though it would lend itself well to multiplayer in the first instance. I'd imagine the ai for the computers teams might be quite hard to suss out on a game of this style?

Stevie G(Posted 2008) [#18]

You say it will be single player, the way it is running at the moment it seems as though it would lend itself well to multiplayer in the first instance. I'd imagine the ai for the computers teams might be quite hard to suss out on a game of this style?

I'll keep multiplayer possible but probably just humans as the AI would be tough. I've thought about it and I'm confident it's doable. Maybe as an update. Single player will be level progression based with time bonuses so you'll be able to try and beat each others scores etc...