Cryptex of Time - Released - Buy and get source!

Community Forums/Showcase/Cryptex of Time - Released - Buy and get source!

AJirenius(Posted 2008) [#1]

I am very proud to announce the first game produced by SOLO development. After 12 months of spare time I can finally look at the outcome and feel proud. It started up as test to see if I could create a game of my own and if so, if I could make some kind of a living out of it. We'll see about that part :D

Cryptex of Time is a innovative casual game that takes the player through place and time with mindthrilling puzzles.
Features
- 48 unique and varying levels
- 4 different worlds with it's own playstyles, puzzles and gamemodes
- 12 different gamemodes giving the player a fresh gaming experience throughout the whole game.
- Find new locations and collect treasures
- Stunning graphics and audio

The free demo and full version game are available at
http://www.solodev.eu/g_Cryptex.html

You can also view a movieclip of the game at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntWIaLScSOQ

For all you Blitzers in here I also offer my whole sourcecode to those who buys the game. The game is coded in Blitz3D, so you must have licensed copy of Blitz3D to compile the game. Just email me your serialcode after buying at
andreas.jirenius@...

Note
The game is coded using Particle Candy and Sprite Candy, two excellent libraries that I unfortunately cannot give away together with my own code, but still it's perfect to have and to use (yes you are allowed to use the code as much as you want to in your own projects)

Now what are you guys/girls waiting for? Make a dreamer happy and go buy it!

Mortiis(Posted 2008) [#2]
Wow, looks really polished by the video. Not my type though.
Congratz with this!

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#3]
I gotta agree with mortiis, not really my type of game, but it looks professional. I know dozens of people who would play games like that though. Good Job! I hope I can get that good someday!

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#4]
OOOhhh I love this type of game.

Will check it out.

GfK(Posted 2008) [#5]
Looks nice enough (I remember the early versions) but not my kind of game. I think that offering up the source code cheapens the whole thing, though.

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#6]
I don't, I think its a really good idea. He has basically made two markets for his game now, as a casual game for portals etc, the customers of which won't ever see the source code (or know what it is).

And beginning/intermediate blitz dev's who can get the source to see how a full game is put together and organised.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2008) [#7]
Why source? That does not make sense.

AJirenius(Posted 2008) [#8]
I remember stepping in here a year ago not knowing anything about Blitz3D, at that time I would love to have a look at a bigger project just to see how to set things up, see the workflow and the way Blitz handle things.

I have never been afraid of showing or giving away sourcecode and I'm not particulary afraid that people would use the code to make an evil "Cryptex of Time clone".

I don't really understand the fuzz about the source, will it cause any problem for anyone? I thought it was a good thing for many beginners in blitz. I might be wrong, but then it's just to buy the game anyway and don't mail me, right?
If I give out an extra thing to only the Blitz community I'm not sure why it makes me look cheap. So it would actually be better for me not to give anything extra out?

well.. about the game...

boomboom(Posted 2008) [#9]
I compltely agree with you AJirenius, a brilliant move. And it seems the only people who view this as strange are people with a lot of full game development behind them, who 'selling the source' too isn't the level of developer this gesture is marketed at.

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#10]
I think it's a great idea.

And I tried it, and loved it.
Maybe I'll find some money and buy it ;)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#11]
I also think it's a great idea.

Good luck and keep up the good work ;-)

simonh(Posted 2008) [#12]
Excellent game, a novel twist (sorry) on the match-3 gentre. I worry though whether the 3rd dimension will scare off casual players.

I also agree giving away the source code is a great idea, I may try that myself one day.

AJirenius(Posted 2008) [#13]
Yes, 3rd dimension is in fact a problem for many casual gamers. Still I saw it as a challenge to actually create a 3D game with 2D playability.
Think I succeeded somewhat well at least.
Then there are actually many more mistakes in this design to be a "real" casual game.
These are probably the biggest:
Match-3 - the genre is totally worn out and uninteresting (tried to fix that)
2 Mousebuttons - Game uses 2 mousebuttons (well it can use one but it's easier to play with 2)
3D - Already mentioned that one
No big publisher - Casual gamers play safe and play games from wellknown publishers, even more, portals bring in games from bigger publishers easier.

Moraldi(Posted 2008) [#14]
Great game play, nice music, very good work on 3D and 2D graphics and you are almost alone as I noticed reading the game Credits!
This game has nothing to do with the any other match3D game.
Congratulations!

PS:
I like the option to reduce the amount of sprites. At least someone who gave me the option not to fill the game screen with annoying sprites around the mouse trying to find where is my hand damn!

AJirenius(Posted 2008) [#15]
Must update and clarify that I have coded the game in Blitz3D, I have recieved questions about this and only by having a licensed version of B3D (SpriteCandy and ParticelCandy) will you be able to compile the game fully.

AJirenius(Posted 2008) [#16]
Seems like giving away the source was a good idea (both from comments and from the actual statistics of buyers).
I will give the open source away til the end of this month so hurry up and grab a copy !

dreadcog(Posted 2008) [#17]
Do what you feel is right about the source. If you don't feel right about keeping it, don't. If you're already selling it with the source its kinda late to pull it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#18]
Hey just seen this on BFG, released today, congrats!

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/2603/cryptex-of-time/index.html

Trader3564(Posted 2008) [#19]
You meen i can buy the source of this game for just $19? rebuild it (cange graphics, music, etc..) and release a copy and sell it?
Unless your asking me to rip you off i really wonder what IS the point? Do you really want todo this?

ICECAP(Posted 2008) [#20]
Yes but Goldstar, that would be unethical. I think that Andreas is assuming that the blitz community is comprised of honest developers. Would you be one of the ones that isn't?

I mean lets face it, most people in this community that make games for commercial reasons don't get massive contracts from UBISoft, but they might however do quite well out of the hard hours they put in by selling on smaller marketing sites.

It would be very obvious if someone altered the graphics and sound and re-released it. And that person would very quickly be shunned.

I for one would be extremely disappointed in that particular user as would most of the community.

tdman(Posted 2008) [#21]
Purchased and emailed :) Can't wait to receive the source! Thanks :)

unlikely(Posted 2008) [#22]
Hey, it has made it on the BFG top 100! Nice. :)