Train Crash

Community Forums/Showcase/Train Crash

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#1]
This is in Leadwerks Engine 1.20, which is nearly ready to release:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pnc4uvLWPH0

Amon(Posted 2007) [#2]
Looking good. :)

Any news on how the deferred renderer is shaping up?

Leadwerks Engine is a very viable option for me for making a FPS so I want the best of its rendering capabilities.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#3]
That's not going to happen for a while. Too many people with low-end cards.

Does anyone know where I can find a looping train track noise?

Knotz(Posted 2007) [#4]
You may use this as start point:

http://www.steamsounds.org.uk/index.html

Some people have really strange hobbies :)

Btw. The train wreck looks good.

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#5]
In the video, it looks like you're getting like 38 fps for the duration of the test. I'm sure I'll get lashed for bringing this up, but isn't this incredibly slow for such a simple scene? Literally 2 minutes before seeing your video, I watch a clip on VideoSift of the Crysis engine performing collision physics on thousands of boxes at once while rendering near-photorealistic graphics, and doing this at a similar or even faster framerate.

N(Posted 2007) [#6]
I would assume the framerate is locked at approx. 40 FPS. If not, you know what I think.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#7]
It does look like it's locked. Jumps about a bit, but generally always seems to go back to the same number.

JoshK(Posted 2007) [#8]
The video recording software drops the framerate. I normally get about 800 FPS with this.

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#9]

The video recording software drops the framerate. I normally get about 800 FPS with this.

Man, I hope so, don't you have an 8800GTS video card :)

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#10]
Now we have real train models.

BTW, regarding the deferred renderer, I have done a lot of research and I think a forward shadowmap renderer is actually a better way to go. It's a little more CPU-involved, and there are less GPU compatibility issues, so I am more comfortable with this approach. Crysis is actually a forward renderer, I discovered. But the results are the same, except we will get rid of those dual paraballoid shadowmap bugs...Should be easier to scale the engine for low-end cards (disable shadows), but to be honest Leadwerks Engine 1.x will probably look better than Leadwerks Engine 2.x on low-end hardware...although LE2 is MUCH easier to develop with, no pre-processing at all, just sandbox behavior. You drop a light, a crate, whatever into the editor and physics and lighting just react instantly.

stayne(Posted 2008) [#11]
cool stuff Josh. Needs some vegetation (grass/shrubbery/etc) though.

puki(Posted 2008) [#12]
Too much excitement for me.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#13]
we need a........shrubbery!

JustLuke(Posted 2008) [#14]
I'm curious about this. Is there much support for a third person viewpoint? What about in-engine cutscenes?

Chad(Posted 2008) [#15]
Leadwerks, I was taking another look at 3d World Studio, (I purchased Cartography Shop so I have some exp with your apps) and I have a question. Right now I'm developing a game where, I have 30-40 animated props, along with 5-6 character models going on at once. So my question is

How well does 3d world studio handle animated props, and can you create waypoints for some of the props, such as one of the human models walking back and forth?

Would you recommend 3d world studio honestly if 99% of the game took place indoors with these props?

I think that's about it.

Thanks!

stayne(Posted 2008) [#16]
Use point entities for that. There's a file in the 3DWS root folder that holds the point entity data... can't remember what it's called. something.txt :). Place your point entities after adding them to the file - the file is parsed with some B3D code someone posted in the Leadwerks forum.

JoshK(Posted 2008) [#17]
I have done AI with 3D World Studio by placing waypoints. It's up to you to make those waypoints actually do anything, but there is a Blitz3D tutorial on this forum showing how to load point entities.

Characters should be placed as point entities as well. There is no reason to have models animating in the scene editor.

Would you recommend 3d world studio honestly if 99% of the game took place indoors with these props?

Yes. That's what it's designed for. Otherwise I wouldn't have written it.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#18]
the train crash does look pretty good, if you added to metal scraping sounds when the trains collided with each other it would be more effective,

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2008) [#19]
Dang that gun looks good!

Terry B.(Posted 2008) [#20]
*grabs the gun and runs*

Awsome looking gun. I want a playable demo. That thing looks like it could fire mini-rockets XD

chwaga(Posted 2008) [#21]
the gunshots in one of your vids sounds EXACTLY like the half-life SMG...?

Doggie(Posted 2008) [#22]
The train is unrealistic. I've yet to see a real world boxcar without graffiti. Details man! details.

The Dog