Chalk Physics

Community Forums/Showcase/Chalk Physics

JA2(Posted 2007) [#1]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN9bs3RKiAo

Early video of my Chalk Physics game. Been working on it for just a few weeks now. Inspired by Crayon Physics, although my game plays quite differently.

I have a few more things to finish off then I'll try and upload a playable demo.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#2]
Looks very good. What is the game going to be like? There is something like this on gamedev called Marker Physics or something like that...

JA2(Posted 2007) [#3]
The gameplay should be a cross between Crayon Physics and Lemmings :) I'm just starting work on ragdolls to use as Lemming type characters.

I haven't seen the one on gamedev, I'll go and have a look now. Don't want to make anything too similar.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#4]
Looks great!

Amon(Posted 2007) [#5]
I don't know how you guys code this stuff and wish I could do it.

Good work and I hope to see a demo soon. :)

Mark Judd(Posted 2007) [#6]
Looks really nice - your interface where you choose linetypes looks very slick.

The water is a cool idea as well.

Hope you have the success it deserves.

cheers

Mark

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#7]
JA2,

That is some mighty impressive work - congratulations. Do you have a plan for this or is it just for fun at the moment.

I can see this giving a lot of pleasure to a lot of people,
great work!

IPete2.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#8]
Cool!

JA2(Posted 2007) [#9]
Thanks for the comments guys :)

Do you have a plan for this or is it just for fun at the moment.

Apart from Crayon Physics, I took inspiration* from Lemmings. I checked out the Marker World demo from gamedev and it's very similar to Crayon, get the red ball to the yellow star. I rather like the idea of some kind of character to protect/guide around the levels. I thought something like SleepWalker from the c64/amiga would be fun.

I'll be working on the ragdolls today, hopefully it won't be too difficult. Then I just need to drop them into my level editor and make the actual levels for the game.

*Stole ideas :)

JA2(Posted 2007) [#10]
Right, that's the last 12 hours spent sat here at the computer. I've learnt something VERY important today. Never, under any circumstances put ragdolls in a game! Never!

Ragdolls have gone out the window. I've replaced them with something a bit easier to manage, it's actually more interesting and fun I think.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#11]

Never, under any circumstances put ragdolls in a game! Never!

Why's that? Maybe I can help.

Anywho, nice prototype - look forward to seeing what you come up with.

Stevie

JA2(Posted 2007) [#12]
I got the ragdoll working within about an hour of the first post. Spent the next 8 or 9 hours trying to animate it by apply forces to the various pieces. I think the problem is that it's on a fixed 2d plane, so no depth, and can't make the legs pass each other for a nice walking motion.

Anyway, not to worry now. I started the ragdoll code from scratch and came up with something even better. I'll get it finished a bit more tomorrow and post another vid over the weekend.

Physt(Posted 2007) [#13]
Dear God! I wish I had 12 hours to spend in front my computer on something this fun.

Between work, home and everything else I'm lucky to get an hour just before bed.

Seriously, very nice work.

I'm using the Popcap SDK for my Crayon Physics-like game and also like the idea of a character to shepard from point A to point B.

Have you seen Marker Physics yet?

JA2(Posted 2007) [#14]
Between work, home and everything else I'm lucky to get an hour just before bed.

This is what I do all day everyday. Make just enough to pay the bills. Makes me happy tho ;)

Have you seen Marker Physics yet?

Yeah, looks way too much like Crayon Physics, same ball and star idea also.

I was thinking of Sleepwalker when I started designing my clone. I think it was having a black background and drawing yellow stars to test with that made me think of night time and sleepwalker. I went out to get a chalk board and most of the other ideas came from that. If you look closely, you can see the rubbed shapes being smudged into the background. There's also some chalk dust particles too.

I'm trying to be careful not to make this too complicated. I was planning to add ropes, balloons, etc but it'll be too much for the game I think. Don't want to ruin it...

Physt(Posted 2007) [#15]
That's just great that you get to work on games all day. Do you have links to other games you've published?

Yea, the rubbing effect is nice.

I'm with you. Keep it simple. For my game, I'm going to just have a certain amount of features with a built in editor and leave it at that. I can always add more features to a 2.0 version.

Honestly, this sort of computational geometry programming is so interesting I could add features forever and never ship anything.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#16]
Honestly, this sort of computational geometry programming is so interesting I could add features forever and never ship anything.
I wasn't actually going to make a Crayon Physics clone. I just wondered if I could make something similar. I've had so much fun programming it tho that it's kinda taken over everything else. I've had to scrap a few ideas to keep it realistic or it'll never get done (much like my other games ;)

Do you have links to other games you've published?

Nope, I had a couple of freeware games put on PC Utilities magazine when I still lived in the UK. I had a publishing contract with Idigicon, but they're erm... Idigicon :p Quite a few years ago that is. I haven't finished much else since making the change from 2d to 3d.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#17]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifa_fEPqgxg

Slowly getting there... Decided to remove ragdoll type things altogether. They just weren't fun :p I was going to use frogs that hop randomly and need guiding through each level. Spent the whole weekend on it!!

Anyway, you can see a bit more stuff going on now. Main menu, options, level editor etc is all working. Still got a few more things to add to the editor and there is LOTS of bugs to fix.

Hope to have a demo up by the weekend. Comments and suggestions all welcome :)

Mark Judd(Posted 2007) [#18]
Looks fantastic.

Really looking forward to a demo - if you need any help getting those bugs i'm your man (so to speak).

You asked for comments and suggestions - well if im brutally honest im not that keen on the background image.
It might just be the video quality - but id prefer something a bit more plain perhaps.

Still - based on the youtube clips - i'd buy the game no hesitation.

cheers,

Mark

taumel(Posted 2007) [#19]
I definately would change the background.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#20]
I agree about the background image being too busy.

Oh and for someone who up there ^^^ says Marker physics is too much like Crayon physics cos it uses the same ball and star idea, you could have come up with something more 'original' as a demo video ;-)

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#21]
Not bad. Are you going to drop the lemmings style gameplay now and opt for something else? I feel your pain - it's quite difficult to nail down an idea which makes full use of your engine and is fun for others.

BTW, I hear that the guy who did crayon physics made it in 7 days or something and v2.0 is due out with alot of improvements so you've got major competition on your hands.

Best of luck.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#22]
Thanks for the comments everyone!

Probably should have mentioned that the background is just a placeholder blackboard I found on google. It can also be changed from the level editor (forgot to show that). I'll be adding a load of backgrounds to draw on including blackboards, paper, concrete, walls etc

Are you going to drop the lemmings style gameplay now and opt for something else?

Yeah I'm kinda ashamed to admit defeat but yes the lemmings idea has been dropped. It just felt too clumsy and didn't give you enough time to make anything nice with the physics. Just draw quick lines for the character or frog in my case, to walk along.

Anyway, I still think my game differs enough from Crayon Physics to make it unique :)

If you need any help getting those bugs i'm your man (so to speak).

Great! I was hoping a few people would be interesting in testing this for me when it's a bit more finished. It's almost done actually, a few more editor buttons, and I'll make some quick test levels for you all to play ;)

BTW, I hear that the guy who did crayon physics made it in 7 days or something and v2.0 is due out with alot of improvements so you've got major competition on your hands.

Yeah I saw a video of his v2.0. It's amazing that he made the first one in just 7 days. I think I'll be attempting something similar (game in a week/month) next year. I LOVE the competition. Best way to push each other to make better games IMHO.

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#23]
It is your solemn duty to make this a "The Titanic is Sinking!" game! The Lemmings idea is far too good to drop.
You could have a variety of planks and boxes and things to lead the women and children from one section of sinking ship to another, and the band members could be blockers, and you could have that dire song by Celine Dion playing the whole time.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#24]
The Lemmings idea is far too good to drop.

I'm going to leave that for someone more talented to do. Or maybe a Chalk Physics 2 ;). Interseting Titanic theme tho...

I'm just about finished for today. Managed to fix ALL of the bugs!! I don't know whether to feel clever for fixing them all or stupid for introducing them in the first place :/

Hope to start the sound effects tomorrow. Got my microphone and chalkboard setup ready to go. Will try to sort out some backgrounds also and then make a couple of quick levels to test with.

nino(Posted 2007) [#25]
are you using chipmuck?

if not you should have a look...

http://files.slembcke.net/chipmunk/movies/sketches.mov

JA2(Posted 2007) [#26]
are you using chipmuck?

Nope... I'm using the Ageia PhysX wrapper for B3D. It's a bit overkill for this but I recently purchased it and I'm still learning how to use it properly :)

Very impressive video there! If I had to start over, I would use different line types i.e solid, fixed, rope, etc. It would be impossible to implement now without a complete rewrite... Still, I might make a version 2 someday depending on how this version ends up.

Should have a demo up this evening (almost 12 noon here atm). Just have a few small things to fix and it's good to go :D

nino(Posted 2007) [#27]
Im using chipmunk for a future project but would love to check out 3d physics at some point. Once I can wrap my head around 2 dimensions...

JA2(Posted 2007) [#28]
Im using chipmunk for a future project but would love to check out 3d physics at some point.

Personally I find 3d stuff MUCH easier than 2d. Chalk Physics is all 3d, wouldn't have a clue what to do in 2d.

I was thinking of proper 3d (i.e not fixed on a 2d plane) version of Chalk Physics for the future. Would be cool to draw something on a wall and have it come to life. There is a scene in Beetlejuice with a chalk door :)

Anyway, here is the demo I've been waffling about. Saving and loading is disabled. Lots to improve on I know. There's no music and only a few sounds (turn your speakers to max!) and I need a decent logo and some better backdrops. Just seven levels for now, 'borrowed' from Crayon Physics.

http://www.mediafire.com/?3nmuzqxbkyy

All feedback is very welcome.

:)

Picklesworth(Posted 2007) [#29]
Would be cool to draw something on a wall and have it come to life.
Woah... idea storm! Nice one, JA2 :)

That would be a great base for a puzzley sort of game... perhaps involving a sinking ship modelled in 3D. The actual player-drawn physics stuff would be local to the surface being drawn on, with gravity in the system adopted from the orientation of that surface in 3D. (Needing to use stuff that is in the floors comes to mind...). Factor in the ship's tilting, magnets placed in 3D space, etc. etc. and that would be one cool game.

I wish you luck in doing that, because it could be fantastically amazing.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#30]
I downloaded your demo and right when I click the exe it says "MEMORY ACCESS VIOLATION." I run it again and it works.

Its fun, but kind of slow.

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#31]
Is there a demo out yet?

JA2(Posted 2007) [#32]
Is there a demo out yet?

http://www.mediafire.com/?3nmuzqxbkyy

I downloaded your demo and right when I click the exe it says "MEMORY ACCESS VIOLATION." I run it again and it works.

Hmmm I have no idea why. I've tested it myself on other computers. No problems so far.

Its fun, but kind of slow.

Something I'll have to look at fixing. The system specs might be a bit high for what it is. I'll see if I can speed it up for the next demo ;)

I wish you luck in doing that, because it could be fantastically amazing

Thanks :) I'm not sure if I will actually go ahead with that. Maybe in the future. I'll be picking something much less complicated for my next project tho ;)

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#33]
Far too slow. Feels very cumbersome.

After too long made it to the 2nd level then gave up.

I found the friction between things to be too great. Drop something on the side of the 'ball' and more often than not it would pull it towards it, rather than knock it away.

Also its frustrating that if you erase even the smallest corner of landscape items they lose their lock and drop off the screen. Although it makes removing obstacles easy.

I did try it again, but that time no matter how many times I completed the first level, it just started again at that level, never progressing to the 2nd.

The chalk idea is nice but it needs lots of work to make it playable, and something unique to rise it above being just a crayon/marker clone.

JA2(Posted 2007) [#34]
Far too slow. Feels very cumbersome.
Athlon 3700+, 1gig RAM, GeForce 6150, XP SP2

Hmmm I only have 512 RAM and a very old graphics card. Runs at a solid 60fps here. I've already made some speed improvments since uploading the demo, will see if I can speed it up some more tho.

Also its frustrating that if you erase even the smallest corner of landscape items they lose their lock and drop off the screen. Although it makes removing obstacles easy.

Just fixed it ;)

I did try it again, but that time no matter how many times I completed the first level, it just started again at that level, never progressing to the 2nd.

Yeah I noticed a bug yesterday. Also fixed.

Thanks for the feedback, much appreciated :)

I've improved a lot of things since uploading the demo. New one should be ready for testing after Christmas. Finished the backgrounds earlier, fixed a few more bugs, and changed the menus around. Much better already!

Should be starting on the actual game levels soon. Hope to have at least 100 for the final version.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#35]
I look forward to it :-)

Oh another observation/bug that makes life easy is you can just draw a line through the edge of the ball to catapult it away in the opposite direction.

JA2(Posted 2008) [#36]
Chalk Physics is now finished and released. Got a new website put together for it too!

http://www.kuneko.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-YQE1LFLH8

There is a free demo you can download from my site. All hosted at google for now. We spent ages testing Chalk Physics over Christmas and fixed everything that popped up. It now runs about twice the speed it did before. There's only a few levels included with the full game, just to give the players some ideas for their own levels really.

Work has started on our next game already. Going with something much simpler this time while my brain recovers...

Anyway, hope you all like it. Look forward to your comments :)

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#37]
I shouldn't just be able to erase parts of the level, should I? I solved the last two demo levels by erasing the platforms the ball started on!

JA2(Posted 2008) [#38]
I shouldn't just be able to erase parts of the level, should I?

Yep. At one point I disabled erasing of level pieces. It didn't feel right at all tho. If I had to restart this project I would do it much differently, the erasing pieces gave me the biggest headaches!

Thanks for trying the demo :)

simonh(Posted 2008) [#39]
Nice work. Just spent ages messing around with it, although I must admit I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to be doing - is there any in-game help?

I look forward to seeing future versions, with hopefully more game modes and high score tables.

JA2(Posted 2008) [#40]
Hi Simon,

There's not really much to it. The first few levels have a quick notice about things that can be done. I wish I'd thought it out a bit better to be honest. I just started it off to see if I could make something like Crayon Physics. Was quite a fun little project to start with but it got a bit messy and complicated towards the end. Still, I'm quite happy with it and it gave me an excuse to get my website done.

I am thinking of making a new drawing type game at some point. I'll plan it out better next time ;)

Geehawk(Posted 2008) [#41]
I'm sorry, but I can't understand how you have the audacity to release something that is basically flawed (being able to erase level pieces and cheat) and expect people to pay???
Even if you don't intend to delete level pieces it's still all to easy to do accidentally, and messes with the whole experience.
And how exactly are you supposed to lock items/create pivots when the item, once drawn immediately drops out of position???
Added to that the somewhat dodgy collision/physics that make moving the ball a bit of a hit or miss affair and you are left with a crayon/marker physics 'clone' that is wholly unoriginal and inferior IMO.

It might sound harsh but whilst in development problems can be overlooked as there is the expectation that they will be addressed, but when its announced as 'finished, and yet the same problems exist ....

JA2(Posted 2008) [#42]
I'm sorry, but I can't understand how you have the audacity to release something that is basically flawed (being able to erase level pieces and cheat) and expect people to pay???

That was a feature that I removed. The game didn't play the way I wanted it to when some pieces cannot be erased. Don't like it? Don't buy it. That is why there is a demo.

It might sound harsh but whilst in development problems can be overlooked as there is the expectation that they will be addressed, but when its announced as 'finished, and yet the same problems exist ....

Like it or not, the game IS finished. Because of the way it is written, nothing else can be done with it. Call it bad design or whatever if you like, I'm glad to see the back of it to be perfectly honest. I'm done with it :p

Warpy(Posted 2008) [#43]
This situation reminds me of Rocky the Monkey, which ended up being released for free.

JA2(Posted 2008) [#44]
This situation reminds me of Rocky the Monkey, which ended up being released for free.

That's ok by me. I never said this was the best game in the world, neither is it my best game. It's not the usual kind of game I write. I certainly won't make the game free, not yet anyway. It's already paid for itself so I'll deem it a success ;)