Cryptex of Time - Final Feedback

Community Forums/Showcase/Cryptex of Time - Final Feedback

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#1]
After some turns back and forth it seems like I will be able to selfpublish my very first real gametitle. I believe it to be finished, just a few tweaks left to make it as perfect as possible. Please give me feedback on the game and if there is nothing big that's coming up I will probably be able to put it out for sale next week.

One special thing I will offer to the Blitz community is to give away the whole Blitz3D source code to those who buy the game.More information on that on the actual release announcement.

Wish me luck guys, I'm excited!

Screens:
http://www.solodev.eu/g_Cryptex.html

Download:
http://www.solodev.eu/Files/Builds/demo.msi

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
Are you going to send this to the portals? If so I imagine it will get a good number of downloads based on the graphical quality of the screenshots alone! But there's no point sending it to the portals until January as there's no way they'd take anything on new now in the run up to Christmas.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#3]
It really does look very very nice... Good luck!

Mortiis(Posted 2007) [#4]
You surely improved the graphics, congratz!

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#5]
Grey: I guess you are right. I might just fiddle with it and sell a few copies on my own site and then check with the portals after Christmas.

Thanks guys, you cannot even imagine all the struggle between my last thread and this one. As you may notice I'm a free man now without a publisher but it sure was a bumpy roadtrip before that.
I recognized a crash in the demo, it is removed now.

N(Posted 2007) [#6]
Wow, this is actually fun. I was beginning to give up on puzzle games due to trash like Grey's Bonus games flooding portals.

Music is great, graphics- for a puzzle game- are great, and it's fun. Might buy this.

One thing I'm curious about is that it seems at random points I'm no longer able to rotate any of the wheels. Intentional, or a bug of some kind?

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#7]
Thank you Pure. Well that is intentional as it is just at the moment a new wheel is falling down. To be assured it falls into a correct place.

N(Posted 2007) [#8]
Is that supposed to last indefinitely?

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#9]
No it's probably a bug then. Can you please be more specific on where and when it happens (if you do know) and I'll look into it. Especially on which world, which level and such as it probably is a gamemode specific bug.
Thanks a lot!

N(Posted 2007) [#10]
Has only happened in Story mode so far, besides that it seems to be pretty much random and just sort of happens. Wish I could be more specific, but if I had been able to replicate it, I would've given instructions on how to already. One thing I've noticed is that, after I decided to wait about five minutes and nothing happened, I just started mashing the keyboard and it eventually popped up with the victory thing, so it might be something to do with solving the puzzle and it not quite getting to the next state.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#11]
As you may notice I'm a free man now without a publisher
Yep I did notice that, wondered what happened. Tell you what though, self-publishing is very satisfying, if a lot of work.

Tri|Ga|De(Posted 2007) [#12]
The game allso hangs on me.
Music playing, and you can rotate all wheel, but not a single one.

I'm on Vista.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#13]
Yes now i have located the problem and it is a Vista problem (guess Pure Cane Soda does have Vista as well). It's all about focus and non-focus on windows so I guess if you don't click outside the window by yourself it is different apps interfering (as MSN Messenger and such). I will look into it and make a fix. Too bad I'm not on Vista at my dev station.

N(Posted 2007) [#14]
Yes now i have located the problem and it is a Vista problem (guess Pure Cane Soda does have Vista as well).
Swing and miss. I don't have Vista, system specs are in my signature.

N(Posted 2007) [#15]
I also get a MAV right at the end of the egyptian tutorial. Forgot to mention that. Guessing you already got that, since it's obvious as heck. If you press W, you win the game automatically. I do not know why.

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#16]
:D I forgot to put the debugmode off :D

Yes seems like I got a lot to do before I can actually release this one. Thanks for trying out though :)

AJirenius(Posted 2007) [#17]
It actually seems to be 2 different types of crashes people are having. One that lets the app continue (music is playing, cursor is moving) but it wont let the player do anything.
The otherone is Vistabased (focus related). The one that crashes the second tutorial is fixed and I believe I have found solution for the 2 other, just trying it out today before releasing a new version.