Fairway Solitaire - my latest game

Community Forums/Showcase/Fairway Solitaire - my latest game

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi everyone, I'm proud to present my latest game:

Fairway Solitaire!

It's a golf-themed solitaire game. Warning: Highly addictive!

I was contracted by Big Fish Games to make a downloadable version of their most popular online game community game of 2006. I worked very closely with a BFG game designer and an American artist - we made a great team and it was a lot of fun (and hard work)! It has taken 8.5 months to complete. That might seem a long time for a solitaire game, but check it out and you'll see why it took so long. The game has tons of features such as an avatar, storyline, shop, statistics, trophies, golf announcer + more ... and it's been SUPER polished.

I'm really proud of this game, it's my best one to date and has been made with my BlitzMax Game Framework which many people have purchased to speed up the development of their own games.

I hope that you enjoy it :-)

Mortiis(Posted 2007) [#2]
Wow, looks really good. I will try it later. Congratulations!

taumel(Posted 2007) [#3]
Congratulations!

So it seems you've not completely switched, from colour to card matching... :O)

Well, i've just watched the video so i dunno how it plays but from this and the stills i would say it's looking nice but also isn't 100% my style. Some elements look good whilst others don't. There are also different styles in there.

A Solitaire is something which people for sure enjoy playing. I don't think i would pay money for such a Solitaire but i'm sure others do. Anyone remembering Klondike from the amiga?

Anyway when i saw the screen you once posted in another thread i was expecting something else, maybe something to jump and run or something which is scrolling.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks guy!

Taumel: The art is all by the same guy so it should be consistent. Yeah that other screenshot was a bit of misdirection (it's from the panning intro). I wasn't allowed to give anything away about this project. Of course I still want to make a platform game, will do so as a hobby I think in 2008.

taumel(Posted 2007) [#5]
However the gfx are inconsistent. There are different styles in there like outlines here, no outlines there, some objects go with flash like gradients others don't, things like that...

What i like is the colour temperature and the explosions. What i find annoying is the whirlwind over the cards as it's hiding too much.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#6]
About time!!!! Good job, I've been looking forward to this for ages..

Bremer(Posted 2007) [#7]
I tried it the other day (bigfishgames club preview :) ), and it plays really well. Its a solid production and fun enough to keep you playing for a long time, although I only did the one hour preview. Congrats for finishing a quality game.

Murilo(Posted 2007) [#8]
I've been waiting for you to reveal your latest game! Downloading now...

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#9]
Why does the 48MB download button download a 65kb exe file?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
Indiepath: thanks Man. I thought it was only going to take 3 months, how wrong I was!

zawran: Aha, so you got it early, cool and thanks :-)

TonyG: I believe it's some kind of BigFishGames installer/game manager (like real arcade has). Not ideal I know as I'd prefer to download the zip file only.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#11]
Congratulations on finishing another game. Solid and well made.

TBH, I was surprised they chose golf as a theme for this. Sure, golf is very popular but probably largely amongst men. Aren't casual gamers mainly women? I was just imagining the theme of golf alone might put off some women even trying the game. Just my own thoughts - I'm sure Big Fish know more about the market than me.

BTW, I noticed that clicking anywhere causes the guide/tip dialog to zip off - you don't need to click on the OK button. I clicked a couple of times accidentally before I'd finished reading.

Murilo(Posted 2007) [#12]
I genuinely really enjoyed playing this! It's also something I can see my wife and my daughters playing (they're 7 and 9 years old).

It's *very* polished and worked flawlessly on my rig.

Excellent job Jake.

When can we expect the next Framework update? ;)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#13]
big10p: yeah and it runs on 98 too!! I made sure of that just for you. Yeah the golf theme choice is a strange choice but it was very popular online with ladies and since the download version has come out, sales have been HUGE so the theme isn't putting too many people off thank goodness. Re: the tip, it's actually intentional that you can click anyway (for speed/ease of use), sorry if it was confusing. Thanks for trying it out!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#14]
Milky Joe: thanks! Your family can all have their own profiles and avatars :-) The Framework update is SOON, as in before Christmas. I have to decide how much documentation to do before I release it...plus I have some other things I gotta finish first like the Mac version of Holiday Bonus and Fairway Solitaire (this new Mac code will be in the framework too) and a Russian version of Oz, oh and a website revamp! Plus sign up for an email shot provider. Phew, anything else? Ah yes, go Christmas shopping or else...;-)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#15]
yeah and it runs on 98 too!! I made sure of that just for you.
Heh - thanks. Maybe you should ask BF to include 98 in the sys requirements on their site, then. :P

Yeah the golf theme choice is strange but it was very popular online with ladies and since the download version has come out, sales have been HUGE so the theme isn't putting too many people off thank goodness.
Huge sales, eh?! Cool.

Re: the tip, it's actually intentional that you can click anyway (for speed/ease of use), sorry if it was confusing.
Oh, I see. I was a little confused as there is an OK button. I would have thought maybe just having a "Click to continue" message would be better? Anyway, no biggy - too late now, anyways. :P

Thanks for trying it out!
No probs. Still gotta go back and play a bit more to get a better feel. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#16]
I already told them it was 98/Me compatible but as they don't support that OS (because M$ don't) they don't list it!

Yeah can't talk about sales in detail obviously but it's a rip roaring success...which is nice. I'm hoping it'll hit no.1 on the BFG download list over the weekend as that has been my goal for years!

Yeah probably need to rethink the hint for the next game.

Enjoy!

Moraldi(Posted 2007) [#17]
Hi Grey, another great work from you, congratulations.
I complain only that I don't like to give my email in order to play a demo... :)

*(Posted 2007) [#18]
I tested this game for Big Fish and it is brilliant :) its definately on my games to purchase 60mins just isnt long enough ;)

Murilo(Posted 2007) [#19]
I can't see the price for this on Big Fish without registering with them!? Is this correct?

Trying to work out if I can afford it this side of Christmas...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#20]
Moraldi: Thanks. I didn't realise you had too, you sure you can't leave it blank or fill in rubbish?

EdzUp: Aha, so you were one of the Beta testers were you? Yeah the game has 70 levels and at approx. 20 mins each (excluding replaying some of them dur to difficulty) that's like 25 hours or so of gameplay!

Milky Joe: I don't know I'm afraid, I'm registered with them so I can't remember what you see if you haven't registered. It's $19.95 (£10ish) normally but if you become a gameclub member it can be MUCH cheaper.

simonh(Posted 2007) [#21]
Congrats Grey. No. 7 already, hopefully it will make it to the top.

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#22]
I realise this is common but it does annoy me.
1) Click here to download
<Downloads an installer>
2) Double-click the installer
<connects to internet and starts download>
3) Enter email ID to install and register.
****** ARGGGGGHHHHHHHHH ***************
I want to try the game NOT register for whatever it is I am registering for. If I wanted to register I would press a 'register now' button.
Imagine if every shop insisted you have a store card before you could try those jeans on.

Anyway, its irrelevant in this post so :
Jake, looks good and glad its going well.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#23]
simonh: Thanks! Yeah hope so too. Fingers crossed, prayers said, sacrifices made, meditating now...

tonyg: Yeah it's normal these days that these people want to capture your info (is there a don't send me stuff tickbox) and that may be annoying for people that just want a zip file and that's it - sorry that I can't supply that as the game is owned by Big Fish Games and they are in charge. Thanks for the positive words (at the end) anyway :-)

JA2(Posted 2007) [#24]
Congratulations Grey. Good to know it's doing so well. When are you moving to Hawaii then? ;)

Tachyon(Posted 2007) [#25]
Yep, good job Jake. Extremely polished and nicely presented! Hope it makes your pockets fat!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#26]
Thanks. Yeah I hope to make some good money out of this so I can continue my career in Indie games. Well it's a good stepping stone onto more games as BFG want me to make another for them straight away which is great news! It won't be an RPG though (or a platformer) ;-) much as I'd love it to be. Although given enough time working for them I may be able to do something like that.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#27]
The art looks fantastic, consistent and very polished - definately the best looking game I've seen in BlitzMax. Hats off to you!

I have to confess I was expecting a more spectacular and original type of game as solitair isn't my bag.

Hopefully your 8.5 months of hard work will reap the rewards it deserves.

Stevie

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#28]
well I'm not the artist, his name is Matt Laverty. He's very skilled, does all sorts including animation for Disney and Nickleodeon. Naturally as the programmer I have to lay all the art out and get changes made to stuff that's not right etc. It's an iterative process and some parts of the game went through multiple (sometimes tiresome) redesigns until we felt they were right.

Yeah I thought some people might have been thinking I was gonna pull a blinder, but the reality is that it still takes 8 months to make a solitaire game with enough polish to sell and that it probably takes even longer to make something "spectacular and original". The original twist to this game is the golf theme including the sand traps, water hazards and irons which change the solitaire gameplay in a way which has neve been done before. Also it's not the "usual" varation of solitaire, it's a different sort (there's tons on wikipedia).

You know we could have easily worked on this game for several months more plugging in more features that we had plan and making lots of little tweaks and polish - but at the end of the day you've just got to get on and release it as often these tweaks make little difference to the final conversion rate and can take AGES.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2007) [#29]
Congrats - downloading now.

It's refreshing these days to see when somebody says a game is complete and shipping - it is. You know who I'm talking about. ;-)

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#30]
Grey, I know you can't talk specifics, but I am curious. They paid you a flat fee for making this, right? Are you also getting royalties per sale or anything like that?

Just curious... It looks good, and you are right, you have to have an incredible extra theme to sell a solitaire game, as there are just way too many free solitaire games out make money off of it easily.

Oh yeah, great job, it looks great!

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#31]
3 months yeah :) I remember you telling me you were working on a BFG project and my guess was a hole in one (literally) - I must get a prize for that surely, or for managing to keep my mouth shut (man I'm such a cheap skate).

Rest assured you'll get an order from Penny :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#32]
Steve Elliott: hehe ;-) Yeah when I say published I mean it.

TaskMaster: I really shouldn't say because other team members may read this, sorry. Let's just say I'm happy with the deal, but it would have been even better if I HAD taken only 3 months. But I stuck at it as I want to make more games for them. Even with the unusual theme, they'll probably have made back my fee by the end of the weekend!

Indiepath: Yeah I can't believe how accurate you were, thanks for keeping the secret soooo looong :-) If I could give you a free version I would but BFG controls all that stuff. Should be able to get some free keys maybe...Anyway I hope that Penny likes it, it'll keep her entertained for many an hour I'm sure.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#33]
I suggest Grey Alien Games becomes a BFG affiliate, I then buy from you and you get the affiliate fee and your normal cut :) I'm sure a lot of others would support you that way also.

Ginger Tea(Posted 2007) [#34]
as for email addys
i set up a dummy account to get captive (pc version) from an abandonware site and had to complete a survey first ... i lied alot

so if any junk gets sent i dont care

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#35]
Indiepath: ahem, study the link in the top post more carefully ;-) Basically yeah good idea as it's nice to get that extra support. I hope BFG don't mind (or find out). :-/

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#36]
Hell why not, or I could buy it through one of my own like http://www.casual.vg :)

TMK(Posted 2007) [#37]
Congratulations Jake!

It's very polished and a joy to play! The theme is very nice (love the intro and the voice overs!) and I really liked the long drive multiplier :)

I hope it will do very well, which I'm sure it will! :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#38]
Indiepath: Actually I beleive there's some small print with affiliate schemes about not buying a game for yourself through your own link ;-)

Tor: Thanks. Yeah that intro took me a considerable amount of time to get right (well so did *lots* of things)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#39]
btw, I should have said before but a Big Thanks goes to Mark, Skidracer and all the other BRL team behind the scenes for making such a great language and forum, without which this game would not be here. They've also made some great fixes just in the nick of time. Thanks also goes to all the people who have helped me with their expertise and knowledge over the last 3 years (wow!) since I first bought BPlus and started making Iron Fist. And not forgetting all the people who have just been good friends, who have given me encouragement and kind words. :-D

Grisu(Posted 2007) [#40]
Congrats... flawless victory... :o)

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#41]
downloading now Jake.... it looks fantastic.

unlikely(Posted 2007) [#42]
Very nice, and congrats for finishing it. It looks great. :)

Will play it more once you finish the Mac version. ;)

Ked(Posted 2007) [#43]
Fireworks look nice in the 3rd screenie.

Game looks good also. :P

josk(Posted 2007) [#44]
Just finished playing the demo, what a great game.
Was not convinced about solitaire especially when mixed with golf, but you were right very addictive.

I will be getting this over the weekend but sleep and work comes first.
Crysis will be on hold again!

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#45]
I played it myself and was just getting into it when the hour passed. Pretty addictive stuff!! Maybe I'm s**t but I thought I was more lucky than skillful getting below par on some of the holes.

Only managed to play one of the mini games ... longest drive I think it was. How many more are there?

No big deal but I did notice what some of the graphics / animations in the background fairway weren't the same quality / consistency as the rest.

Well done again.

Stevie

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#46]
Thanks all for your kind words and for playing it! Mac version early ready next week, don't know when they'll launch it.

Stevie G: Yep, luck DOES play a big part but there is also a lot of skill. There's loads of different tactics that you can develop over time that get you closer to below par and you'll need to master them to get to the end. There are 3 minigames. I wish I'd had time to ensure they all appeared in the first hour but it's random. There's 3 mini games and 29(!) wildshots in all, each one I had to code the effect for and each one is animated and has a special sound track. So are you talking about the birds and the gophers/worms that pop up every now and then? They were added last minute as they had been on the plan all along but we were running out of time and the designer really wanted them in there but I was worried they might look tacked on. I did my best though with what I had. Maybe you meant something else? There's lots I'd have like to have polished more (we all wanted to do more) but the producer was insistent the game went out. He's probably right though because we could've fiddled around for months instead of just getting on and releasing it. The sales are coming in anyway :-)

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#47]
Yep, I finally played it as well, and it is addicting. I think I will be buying it as well. Then when I looked into buying it, I see you can sign up for some "BigFishGames club". At first, I was like, "WTF?!?!" I don't want to do that, but then I see that even the cheapest $20 sign-up is the price of the game by itself and you get two games.

So, instead of buying it, I decided I would have to look and see what else I want to buy. Maybe I will fo one of the other packages that gets you even more games for less money. That is a hell of a scheme on their part to get people to buy games. Very smart.

Cartman(Posted 2007) [#48]
Congratulations. It's great to hear when forum members finish a game. I'm going to get my wife to play it. She plays golf and solitaire. :)

Blitzblaster(Posted 2007) [#49]
Nice style Grey Alien, i like that.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#50]

So are you talking about the birds and the gophers/worms that pop up every now and then?

Yip, that's the ones ... no big deal though - everything else is spot on.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#51]
Well, I was well disappointed ... when the trial expired!!! Excellent work, Grey. Might even have to buy this one over the weekend, as I'm having withdrawal symptoms already.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#52]
That is a hell of a scheme on their part to get people to buy games. Very smart.
Yep, it certainly is and it's very popular. Great for the customer, not so good for Indie developers selling their games via BFG though as your royalty per unit is hugely reduced! 2 years ago about half the sales were via gameclub (so the other half were at $19.95), now it's like 95% via gameclub. Other sites like Reflexive still sell them at $19.95 so even though they sell less units you make much more per unit.

She plays golf and solitaire. :)
hehe, sounds like a prime candidate for the game.

StevieG: thanks.

JazzieB: Thanks for all your help with the Mac stuff recently btw, I should be sending them the Mac version on Monday. Don't know when they'll release it though.

QuickSilva(Posted 2007) [#53]
Finally had the chance to check this out and just wanted to say what a great job you have done on it. Very slick looking and it plays great too which is the main thing :)

Your skills get better with each game you release and you really show what Blitz products are capable of in the right hands.

You deserve success with this, I hope all the hard work pays off for you.

It kind of makes me wish that Aquaria was made in Blitz Max as it seems my computer is not up to the task of running that game as smoothly as Blitz Max ones shame as that looks great too.

Jason.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#54]
Thanks QuickSilva. Yeah it's like gaining a new RPG level (or two) each game that I work on and release. But it's just like anything - if you work at it, you should get better at it. Thanks for reminding me about Aquaria, will have to download that now. Wondering how well it will do because who is the market? It doesn't seem like a casual game from the videos I've watched...

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#55]
Wonderful... earlier today I was thinking about writing this exact type of solitaire game (not golf-themed, just the solitaire style) because it's one of my personal favorites. Within an hour of thinking of it, I saw this thread. Scratch that.

I played out my hour demo, the game looks and plays great.

SpaceAce

GfK(Posted 2007) [#56]
Golf games, is it?

Right....

*rolls up sleeves*

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#57]
SpaceAce: Yeah I much prefer this style of solitaire than the more long winded ones where you have to build up piles of cards. Oh well, at least that's one less game idea you have to worry about.

GfK: Did you ever make one then in your huge list of 3D games?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#58]
:-O Just got some download and sales figures. Can't share them publically I'm afraid but my jaw just hit the floor! I've never experienced anything like this with my previous games (some of which converted well and have sales in the thousands of units and have made tens of thousands of dollars). The converion rate is CRAZY, and sales are awesome. This is in a different league. I love making money when I'm asleep...lol.

I urge you all to keep on coding, and get some games out there. You've got to experience the feeling of releasing a game and watching it sell - there's nothing like it!

tonyg(Posted 2007) [#59]
... straight in at #6 on their Top 100 as well. Congrats again.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#60]
Thanks Tony, I'm pleased with that position and hoping it will creep higher... You've played your small part in this game by helping me numerous times, it hasn't gone unnoticed - thanks!

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#61]
Just played the demo, that was really good, and very addictive, it's gone 2 AM, i really have to go to bed!!! Really well done on your success, you have so much potential ahead of you that's still untapped, you're obviously a gifted a talented games designer/developer and will do very very well in years to come.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#62]
GfK: Did you ever make one then in your huge list of 3D games?
Yeah I did Par Fore.

There's screenshots of it on the Idigicon site, but I'm not going to link to it since... how to say... not much thought and effort seems to have been put into taking them.

Almost all of the thumbnails don't get any bigger when you click on them, either. They show up still tiny, but in a gigantic window. :/

For God's sake, I supplied them with dozens of better shots than the ones they've used!

</mini rant>

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#63]
andy_mc: wow thanks man! Glad you liked it.

not much thought and effort seems to have been put into taking them
Yep I know the feeling. Even the screenshots on BFG for Fairway suffer the same thing. They are nearly identical and I supplier one in the desert with a nice sunset and another showing off a giant 5X Multiplier explosion.

josk(Posted 2007) [#64]
Was going to ask when more items were unlocked to buy as it seemed to take a while.
Just unlocked the x-ray sunglasses.
This game gets better all the time.

Maybe could do with a few more voices and sayings.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#65]
*more* voices haha, there's 178! But you are right, some situations could have done with a few more.

Item unlocked roughtly every 6 levels.

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#66]
I was wondering about the item unlocks as well. I got the glasses and started to wonder when the next one would come.

Almost no reason to put price tags on them, by the time they appear, you have way more than enough money, unless they get a lot more expensive in the later levels.

Pinete(Posted 2007) [#67]
AMAZING WORK!
congratulations!!!
The game is very funny & addictive, the visual are great and the whole thing is very eye candy and very well adjusted.
Very very good...
:o)

All the best,

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#68]
Superb game and well worth downloading to try - even if you don't like card games...

The thing I am disappointed with is the score Jake has received in the Gallery - what are people marking it on?

There are some selfish people about is all I can say!

IPete2.

I gave both images 5 - so plurrrrr!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#69]
TaskMaster: well people like shopping that's all ;-)

Pinete: Thanks! glad you like it, I spent a LOT of time tweaking it to make it good. The card game core was done quite quickly, most of the time was adding in graphics/sounds/extra screens etc. Did you like the animated introduction?

IPete2: Cool, thanks for trying. Yeah the Gallery is always weird, I don't think one of my games has rated over 4 in the art department for some reason yet other games that I would say don't look quite as good have got higher. There's no logic it seems. Hey btw, the other night I was looking at some Holiday Bonus reviews and they said this about the graphics:

"The graphics are tremendous"
"I love the music and graphics as well"
"Good Christmas theme!! Nice and beautiful pictures."
"You surely like beautiful winter backgrounds with falling snowflakes"
"As your Xmas journey unfolds you open stunning winter landscapes to add to your gallery and to use as your desktop wallpaper for that extra seasonal touch"
"The match tokens are skilfully drawn and detailed"
"Holiday Bonus is an amazing game. The music is relaxing and there's something special about it that makes you feel good!!"
"Holiday Bonus has a great feel to it. The graphics are excellent with a great Christmas theme"
"The wintry visuals are beautiful. The original holiday music is superb"

etc. Basically they love your graphics, good job! I remember I kept pushing you for better and better ones and you kept on making them :-) At the end of the day, the gallery ratings here don't matter, what matters is that people love the games and buy them. If I told you how many units of Fairway Solitaire sold in the last week your hair would stand on end! I've been walking round with a fixed grin for days :-D

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#70]
I played it and was kinda put off by it always telling me which moves were valid. There was nothing really to figure out on my own. Just click bottom card, then click a top card that is glowing. After about 10 min I got bored. I guess solitaire isn't my thing.

Nonetheless, very nice work and I'm sure it will do well. Maybe I'll like the next game GA. /shrug

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#71]
It only shows you the moves for the first few hands so you get an idea how to play.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#72]
Yes it only does that for the first hole. We considered having a dialog telling the player that it was for the first hole so that players who didn't play longer than one hole didn't think it was too easy.

altitudems(Posted 2007) [#73]
Jake,

Wow man, great job. That has got to be single the best card game I have ever played. POLISH! Great gameplay, graphics, and sound. I can imagine that this will have a nice conversion rate.

I would say that more voice-overs might of been nice, but its fine the way it is.

If there is a sequel, I would also like to see the avatar idea expanded a little. Its a big fad right now. Maybe linking this up online with other players or something. Maybe look at puzzle pirates for some ideas.

But, again I love just how it is!
Can't wait see what you do next.

josk(Posted 2007) [#74]
Fairway Poker online!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#75]
Hey man, How did I miss this!? excelent work! I can't play yet but when I get home... :-D

What's next on the cards?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#76]
altitudems: Excellent thanks very much! I discussed a sequal with BFG but they weren't into it I'm afraid.

Cyg: Man you must be ASLEEP ;-) Yeah check it out ASAP.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#77]
Sleeping is pretty much the only thing I havent been able to do! :-(

Lots of stuff going on right now, and a nasty bug mixed with a cough-cold has left me pretty dead for the last 2 weeks. Still recovering. Anyhoo, as I say i'll check this out when I get back home. :-)

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#78]
Cygnus,

You won't regret it - it is fab.

IPete2.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#79]
Double Eagle!??! No No No it's called an Albatross - check the R&A. :)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#80]
Heh - I did raise an eyebrow when I saw Double Eagle. :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#81]
I raised this issue but Double Eagle is entirely valid too, as is Triple Eagle for Condor. Logically though it's silly because if an Eagle is 2 under par a double eagle should be 4 under par ;-)

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#82]
well double bogey is only 2 over so it does run true. Or is that a "Big Fat Booger"

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2007) [#83]

well double bogey is only 2 over so it does run true. Or is that a "Big Fat Booger"

LMAO!

BTW, BX6?! Howdya make it run with DX6? :P

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#84]
They cocked up. It doesn't work as DX6. ;-)

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#85]
Weiiirddd
But cool
Ill try it out.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#86]
Up to #4 on Big Fish Games now, just got past the Agatha Christie game and Christmasville (two top match-3 games) so I'm pretty chuffed!

Loktar(Posted 2007) [#87]
Nice job, even though you have no idea who I am I like to brag about you to friends, family, and coworkers. I was just telling some friends how cool it is OZ is being sold at Target. Its just great to see what BMax is capable of! Especially when someone who really knows what they are doing is using it. Keep up the awesome work!

GfK(Posted 2007) [#88]
just got past the Agatha Christie game and Christmasville (two top match-3 games) so I'm pretty chuffed!
???

They're both 'seek and find'...

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#89]
haha yeah I know, what a strange typo I made!

Loktar: Thanks! Hope you can boast about your own games soon :-)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#90]
Up to No. 3 at BFG! I can hardly believe it! Uber-excited...

TaskMaster(Posted 2007) [#91]
Do you get a bonus or something if it makes #1?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#92]
haha No. It won't get there anyway as MCF: Madame Fate and Mystery in London are huge games and have had lots more downloads than my game. If they weren't there, then sure I'd be at no.1, but they are there so I'm not :) I'm as high as I can go unless something weird happens...

Why0Why(Posted 2007) [#93]
Grey,

I read a blog called Dubious Quality and he has your game mentioned, thought you might want to check it out.

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#94]
congratz on No#3 Grey....

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2007) [#95]
Bug? Penderosa Pines, You need -4 for the course goal. Hole 1 is a par 4, we got -4 on the first hole and got the goal. How did we get -4 on a par 4?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#96]
Why0Why: Hey that's great reading thanks for posting it! :-) They noticed te sound effects were good which I spent ages on (55+ hours)

Indiepath: not a bug, I emailed you about it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention though.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#97]
GA, you made all the sound effects yourself?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#98]
No, they were mostly supplied by Somatone and some were bought from other sources. However, I spent a long time a) preparing a list of all sounds and then choosing a subset from all the possible sounds that were supplied b) coding when they should occur (some are random you see) and testing them c) editing them: applying filters/reverb/removing clicks/tweaking volume etc (I speng AGES faffing with the golf club sounds as they are the most frequently heard) and d) asking them to make new ones when the first ones weren't good enough etc. Stuff like that. It takes a long time to get the sound right for a game, but it's a very important part in my opinion. Those 55 hours I spent include plugging in the music and the announcer too. If I'd had to make the sounds myself, I'm sure those hours would have tripled.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#99]
GA: was playing your game with my children this evening - WOW, brilliant job, all due credit to ya. A VERY polished game.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#100]
Post 100 ;-). Cool. Actually both my boys have played it, the 6 year old totally gets it and the 3 year old is finding it useful to help him with his numbers (and mouse control) which is great. Plus I have the debug version so I let them press keys to summon the funny wildshots and watch the anims and to cheat and get all the irons or buy everything in the shop etc.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#101]
Post 101! Nice lookin' game Grey. Glad it working out well for ya.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#102]
thx. Keep an eye out for the Mac version, out soon...

JoeRetro(Posted 2007) [#103]
I'm not sure if you seen the review by jayisgames.

But here it is:

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2007/12/fairway_solitaire.php

Good stuff!!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#104]
I have thanks. Plus these:

http://meryl.net/2007/12/13/fairway-solitaire-pc-game-review/

http://realarcadegames.blogspot.com/2007/12/cards-and-golf-fairway-solitaire-game.html

http://www.gamezebo.com/reviews/fairway_solitaire_review.html

http://dubiousquality.blogspot.com/

:-)

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#105]
Here's another one:

http://jayisgames.com/archives/2007/12/fairway_solitaire.php

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#106]
One thing I've noticed is that your particle graphics don't match the game. They are very out of place. It's like you just re-used the same particle effects in your other games. Instead of just reusing them I'd make a new set for each game.

And looking again, you have a nice art style where everything is in sync. Then you see these particle laser beam light sabers shooting around!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#107]
?The particles were all new for this game. Which ones are you talking about? There actually aren't very many particle effects because the art style isn't mega suited to, we went for animations more instead.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#108]
The screenshot above with the 5x Multiplier. They just don't fit the game.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#109]
Oh haha, well you haven't seen in it action. That's a fairly rare event and those particles are quickly animated fireworks which work pretty well.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#110]
Well it doesn't work pretty well imo. They look totally out of place. Sorry. :(

Just trying to give you some feedback...sorry if I ruffled your feathers.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#111]
Just goes to prove it's impossible to please everyone all of the time. Can't say I've noticed the 'out of place' particle fx Chroma's noticed - I think it all goes quite/very well together. Balanced feedbacks good though, maybe my attention to details is slipping - maybe not !

My wife says she hates card games and she really enjoys playing your game - and I've scrolled up to view the image Chroma's commenting about and I disagree, they look fine.

Santa comes to this part of the world in t-minus 2 hours.... woo hoo!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#112]
thx. Like I said, you have to see them in action. A static screenshot doesn't do them justice.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#113]
I've seen them in action too now. Just downloaded it and the firework effects are in the intro. They still don't fit imo.

But it's a bit late now anyhow. :)

I must say, it must have taken awhile to get all the scaling routines to work right. I'm guessing you're reseting the image center to a specific spot and then scaling. I shall experiment!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#114]
It certainly did take a long time to get all the scaling to work in the intro. The hardest bit is where you see it panning and scaling whilst the mouse cursor moves to the card and then perfect appears and also the fireworks. I also used a sinewave for a smoothly accerating and decelerating pan.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#115]
I bet man. ImageHandle is the trick obviously. The tiles I have for my game could use a bit of this. Could make some of the tiles appear to rise up by setting the handle bottom center and increase the y scale from 0 to 1. Nice!

Are you using a sin of the Millisecs() or just ramping it up using an accumulator of the dt?

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#116]
YeahImageHandle is useful for sure.

As for the other thing, say I have an anim that lasts 2000ms and I want it slow at the start and fast in the middle and slow at the end, I developed a function that I could pass in the current value (say 500) and the max value (2000) and it will convert the value from a linear value into a value from 0 to 1 but using sine to make it smoother (slower at start, then faster, then slower). Then I use this value for my panning by multiplying it by the pan distance, say 200 pixels. So 0*200 is the start, 0.5*200 is halway and 1*200 is at the end. It's hard to explain, but it works! :-)

Why0Why(Posted 2007) [#117]
Grey,

Not usually my cup of tea, but I found this highly addictive and spent a lot of time over my Christmas Weekend playing. Great work and extremely fun!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#118]
Goovy! Glad you liked it. Hey did you manage to get a 5x multiplier yet?

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#119]
Hi I saw on an email that this game is the #1 card game for 2007 on bigfishgames.com congrats,

I checked it out myself and enjoyed it somewhat but I am mainly a hardcore gamer so I dont usually go for these games at all.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#120]
Thanks! Yeah I wonder how they worked out that award as it's no.1 now in the card games but other card games were sold for the other 11 month of 2007...

AJirenius(Posted 2008) [#121]
Somehow I haven't been in here yet to say:
Congrats to an excellent game and to such a big success. I just can't wait to see what will come out that sleeve next time.

anawiki(Posted 2008) [#122]
Grey, don't be so surprised - it's theirs title... all #1 spots were taken by BFG games :D Though I don't say that they don't deserve it.

best
Roman

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#123]
AJirenius: Thanks! Yeah the pressure is on for the next game to be good now ;-)

Roman: Yeah, the BFG games are pretty good it has to be said. Anyway, I'm flattered that my game got the award.

Chroma(Posted 2008) [#124]
If the game was only available for a month and it got a 2007 #1 card game award...sounds kinda fishy. And yeah if I was BFG I'd put all the company games in the first slots too hehe. Could be a marketing strategy.

Either way, congrats GA.

Twitchfactor(Posted 2008) [#125]
Game's great!

I was so impressed, I bought the Framework myself.

It's quality work and should do (and already has done) very well amongst all the people that actually help pay your bills, versus the the vocal minority that don't actually pay for anything, but sure have a lot to say.

Kudos again and keep up the good work Grey!

And I especially am looking forward to that platformer hobby project in 08.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#126]
Thanks Tony! re: Platformer, me too!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#127]
A review on Gamepro.com!

http://www.gamepro.com/gamepro/domestic/games/features/157268.shtml

Arowx(Posted 2008) [#128]
Nice one grey, so how are the sales going?

or is it possible to make money as an Indie Game Dev ;o)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#129]
haven't had a sales update for 2 weeks but the last one I had was very good indeed. Not as big as the top hidden object games, but still very good. I'm making games full time in 2008 for BFG and it will definitely pay the bills and then some.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#130]
Spades of Kudos Grey, well deserved and well earned. Good game, good game.....

Arowx(Posted 2008) [#131]
Well I've got my first game about done, in showcase as release candidate, but it's a bit daunting when I'm not even off the starting blocks and your out there making it work!

Nice once!

Still fingers crossed, now where was that copy of your framework for my next game concept! ;o)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#132]
Thanks bp.

Merx: Yeah excellent work. I'll try to find the time to play it soon. We've all got to start somewhere and finishing a game is a great way to start of course! But hey you already did Candy Cascade. 3 years ago I bought BlitzPlus and now my game is on the front page, wow! Hey did you use any of the framework for your latest game? (I know you own it) Maybe you could use some of the latest version for your next game.

mkg(Posted 2008) [#133]
Just noticed you made featured game on the Blitz Home page - congratulations!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#134]
Thanx. Yeah that totally rocks. I'm *extremely* proud. There years ago I bought BPlus and was a nobody and now I have a game on the first page, it's a good feeling - but it all came from hard work, some ricks (and a little bit of luck)...

MGE(Posted 2008) [#135]
"#1 Card/Mahjong Game of 2007" - I've always wondered how much money a popular game is making via Big Fish. If you have time, I'd love some inside info. :) I know you can't legally, but just incase, feel free to email me anonymously. ;) lol..
>>>Congrats by the way!<<<

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#136]
Downloading now... Will post back once I have played. Looks great I'm sure it blows my little retro stuff out of the water! Congrats on your Blitz home page promo!

Chugs40(Posted 2008) [#137]
Gotta hand it to you, that game is great! I don't even like solitaire and I had fun! I could'nt pry my oldest daughter away from my computer while she was playing! I'm sure the wife will definately dig it, I'll make her play it later, as she plays the windows solitaire all the time. Anways congrats and good luck on your next project!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#138]
Thanks! Glad your family liked it so much and thanks for the good luck! I'm starting the new project in about a week.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2008) [#139]
Congratz on making the Blitz home page Grey, I'm goona recommend it to my little brother (not so little - he's 34), tries it out - he's a keen golfer as well, not that it matters. But I'm sure his kids will like it.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#140]
I just bought your game and it is great way to relax :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#141]
Nice one, thanks! I think the ambient noises (different on every background type) are very relaxing too. Have fun.

ashmantle(Posted 2008) [#142]
Must say, excellent game and super polish.
I don't like card games, but I played through the whole hour of free play and it left me wanting ;)
GOOD JOB!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#143]
cool. that's the idea, play the hour and "hunger" for more ;-)

Why0Why(Posted 2008) [#144]
Hey Grey,

Was telling a friend about FS and he has a Mac. I don't see a Mac version, am I just missing it?

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#145]
I made it about a month ago and they should be launching it very soon. I think some of the people involved have been away at conferences (there were 2 in Feb). When the Mac version is out, I'll post some news about it.

Why0Why(Posted 2008) [#146]
OK. It was funny, my friend looked around for several minutes and couldn't find it. I said there is no way there isn't a Mac version and looked for about 5 minutes myself. I finally gave up and said I would just ask you.

I will be curious to see what the Mac sales are in relation to the PC version. I have been told multiple times that Mac sales are very high because there are so few good games. I know you are contractually bound to keep figures private, but it would be interesting to know some type of percentage or ratio.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#147]
OK I'll see what I can reveal vaguely (if anything). Won't know for a while though.

The r0nin(Posted 2008) [#148]
I generally don't buy indie games... but I played the FS demo (as did my wife), and my wife made me buy it.

Very polished, professional, and fun.

I only have one niggle. I don't like the frontend (especially if it is checking the internet... I don't know that it is, but it looks like it). I prefer games that are stand-alone. Otherwise, though, I'm really enjoying it!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#149]
Glad to hear you both like it! I have no control over the front it, sorry - it seems the Real and Big Fish Games prefer this whole "game launcher" thing rather than a separate installer.

unlikely(Posted 2008) [#150]
Fairway Solitaire for Mac available. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#151]
Cool, I wondered when that was going to happen. I'm going to post some news about it after I've updated my website.

Hey it's no.2 in the Mac game chart!

http://www.bigfishgames.com/download-games/genres/16/mac.html?afcode=afd3eeedd5e4

I just got some sales figures and it's doing awesome!

The r0nin(Posted 2008) [#152]
My wife is about ready to throw the laptop across the room... Is there a bug on the mystery madness course? She's won more than the amount of money it tells her, but she can't get the next course to unlock.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#153]
There's no bug with the money on that course (but it is REALLY hard). You have to win the purse and earn more $25000 or more in total (or $24500 if you are playing on Mac or got V1.02 for PC from another portal). If you want to cheat, type in Fairway cheats to my blog search.

If you think there is still a bug, perhaps check the scorecard on that course. Does it still have a Goal visible or does it say Goal Complete? The code that checks the money is the same on all the other courses which work fine.

MGE(Posted 2008) [#154]
Finally had a chance to eval the overall presentation of this game. Not much of a solitaire player, but still wanted to check out what our resident casual game developer has coded. ;)

Overall I'd have to say this game has "professional polish" all over it. It's amazing what little things like the particles streaming from the mouse, etc, etc, can do to really enhance the overall presentation of a game. I'm sure this overall attention to detail is a big reason this game is doing so well. Excellent coding GA, I'm very impressed and can't wait to see your other programming projects in the future!

Working with BigFish must have been a valuable learning tool as a game designer. I imagine having access to their creative input was priceless. So, not only do you get paid to code a game for them, in the process you learn how to code a casual game "right". :) Sounds like a win-win on several accounts! Again, congrats on a job well done! :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#155]
Thanks very much! Yep attention to detail is where it's at. Getting everything just right and making all these little things happen subtly gives the player a feeling of quality + the original design was super addictive too.

Working with BigFish must have been a valuable learning tool as a game designer. I imagine having access to their creative input was priceless. So, not only do you get paid to code a game for them, in the process you learn how to code a casual game "right". :) Sounds like a win-win on several accounts! Again, congrats on a job well done! :)
You got that 100% right. That's EXACTLY why I did it. Like apprenticing with a master. It was an opportunity that I'd have been a fool to refuse.

Sonic(Posted 2008) [#156]
Grey somehow I totally missed this topic. Been wondering what your super-secret project was.

Now personally it's not for me, but I really admire your hard work and business acumen, and you deserve your success. Well done mate! I'd love to see you apply this level of polish to a game that you personally wanted to make. Don't put it off forever. ;-)

I might be purchasing the framework at some stage, if I ever have some money handy!

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#157]
Thanks Sonic.
Don't put it off forever
You've got that right!

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#158]
I am stuck on Mountain Springs and what I dont understand is that the goal is To finish with a score of +10 or better to Unlock Sandy Beach.

I had score of +12 but it doesnt unlock the sandy beach. I guess it mean to finished the score under +10 I think.

Mountain Springs is quite tough challanage

tonyg(Posted 2008) [#159]
I had score of +12 but it doesnt unlock the sandy beach. I guess it mean to finished the score under +10 I think.
Yes.

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#160]
Tony's got it right. In golf the better scores are lower down. Sorry it was unclear. Try again! :-)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2008) [#161]
YAY I gone past Mountain Springs with my score of -1
Wicked :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2008) [#162]
Congrats. Soon you'll be on the forest and then the Japanese levels. Then later on the jungle ones.