433 Code EROS

Community Forums/Showcase/433 Code EROS

spraycanmansam(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi guys,

Just thought I'd post up a link to my first game. Its was designed for Intel Mac.

It's called "433: Code EROS" and it's an asteroids clone. It's my first game and it's a bit rusty, so go easy. If there's any huge glitches let me know. I wanted to finally 'complete' a game, so I can move on to my other ideas :)

I dont mind too much if anyone uses the resources as long as I get a mention, but please dont use the ship graphic for anything. I use it for a lot of other things...

OS X Link ---
http://www.mediafire.com/?fgmwwvty0wg

Windows Link ---
http://www.mediafire.com/?8nmvne4eufd

Left & Right to rotate ship,
Up to thrust,
Down for shield,
Space to fire,
simple... =D

*** Please note in the Windows version, colours are slightly off ( My MacBook has a glossy screen ) and the sound lags for some reason ( no idea why, it's fine on my MacBook? ) I had no plans to release it on Windows, but someone asked and they received :) ( I havent tested the Windows version fully either ) ***

Screenshots ---

Ked(Posted 2007) [#2]
Looks very good.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#3]
Those are some pretty impressive screens, good job!

spraycanmansam(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks. You have no idea how hard it is trying to get a screenshot on a Mac while trying not to die... XD Oh for the love of a simple 'print screen' button...

big10p(Posted 2007) [#5]
Code a pause key or a screenshot key? :P

spraycanmansam(Posted 2007) [#6]
You smart lil ...... =P My brains a little fried this week, hence why I got sick of making this game =(

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#7]
Here's some quick & dirty code to have your program create screenshots:

Strict
Local ScreenCount:Int=0		' Number of the current screenshot
Local MaxScreenShot:Int=100	' Maximum number of screenshots allowed

Graphics 1024,768

' Main Loop
While Not KeyDown(Key_Escape)
	' Your normal main-loop stuff goes here
	' blah blah blah
	DrawText (MilliSecs(),Rand(0,1000),Rand(0,700))
	' Just draw some text to the screen so we have something to see on the screenshot
	Flip

If KeyHit (key_space) Then
		' If you hit space, take a screenshot unless you already captured your max.
		If ScreenCount:Int<MaxScreenShot:Int Then
			Takescreenshot("screenshot",ScreenCount)
			' Tthe screenshots will be written to the current folder as: screenshot<number>.jpg
			screencount=screencount+1
		End If 
	End If 
Wend

Function takescreenshot(basefile:String,Count:Int)
	Local picture:TPixmap=GrabPixmap(0,0,GraphicsWidth(),GraphicsHeight())
	SavePixmapJPeg(picture,Basefile+Count:Int+".jpg")
End Function

Should be pretty self-explanatory. Hitting the spacebar takes a sceenshot.

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#8]
Anyway, the screenshots look very pretty, although I didn't try the game itself (Asteroids isn't really my cup of tea)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#9]
Looks smooth. Any chance of a PC version?

spraycanmansam(Posted 2007) [#10]
@xlsior
Thanks for the code! Yeah it's not really mine either, It was just the easiest type of game to 'complete' ... even tho it's not really finished 100% :P I guess you could call it my 'Hello World' in BlitzMax. There's a few things I'm not happy with but, meh! On to bigger and better things :D

@Nomen
Sure, I'll compile it and upload it tonight if I get a chance. EDIT: All done :)

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#11]
*update*

Spraycanmansam: I made a small change to the screenshot function listed above, so it will automatically grabe a picture the size of whatever resolution you are in rather than the hardcoded 1024x768.