Holiday Bonus for Intel Mac

Community Forums/Showcase/Holiday Bonus for Intel Mac

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi, I've compiled a 9-level demo of Holiday Bonus for Intel Mac and I would be grateful if any Mac owners out there can give it a test for me, thanks! (I've tested it on my own Intel Mac Laptop and it's fine.)
- Clicking Set as Desktop Wallpaper in-game doesn't do anything (yet)

http://www.greyaliengames.pjio.com/Holiday%20Bonus.dmg (16.6 Mb)

PLEASE NOTE: I haven't put the data in the app bundle yet, so just make a folder on your desktop and drag the Holiday Bonus.app and the Data folder into it, then you can run it safely. I'll sort this soon and make sure it writes all dynamic data to the correct location too.

Please let me know if you find any major problems except for these Known Issues:

- Switching from full-screen to windowed mode screws up the graphics. This is a BMax 1.26 issue which is being resolved soon with the Bmax 1.28 update.

I can't go changing the gameplay at this stage, so it's just bugs etc I'm after at the moment (hopefully there aren't any!). Thanks!

Please note that this game is not for sale yet on Mac because I haven't programmed in any kind of Licence Key system yet. If anyone has made anything like this for Macs and feels like helping me out, then I'd be really grateful :-) Soon it will be for sale for $19.95.

Hope you like it!

impixi(Posted 2007) [#2]
All I see is: "Failed to save file /Volumes/Holiday Bonus/HolidayBonus.ini" when I try to run it (as per your instructions above).

System - MacBook Pro, OS 10.5.1 (Leopard, latest patches).

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
My Bad, You DO actually need to make a folder on your Mac desktop and drag that stuff into into it and then run the game. Later it'll all work from a single icon. I'll fix the top post now. Thanks.

impixi(Posted 2007) [#4]
Okay, runs well. Very slick, very professional. No problems noticed.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#5]
I tried it here on an Intel iMac Core2 Duo 2.0Gz, 128MB graphics ram, 1 gig Ram, ATI card. Everything works fine. I put it in a folder as suggested and it ran first time. Didn't encounter any problems of any kind, no crashes or noticeable bugs. Graphics are nice, you've done a good job, I don't think I'd change anything much.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#6]
Hurray! Thanks for testing.

ImaginaryHuman: Really glad you could finally try out one of my "proper" games on your Mac.

As soon as I figure out a way to add in a security key (a forum member has given me some pointers), this will go on apple.com and be for sale.

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#7]
Works well on 10.5.1

It would be nice if the squares that need matches on were easier to see though.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
Thanks for testing! Glad to know it runs on Leopard. So you are finding the ice tiles hard to see? I guess I made them slightly transparernt so you could see the the background but I thought I had a good contrast between the dark squares and the lighter ice squares.

Genexi2(Posted 2007) [#9]
Worked flawlessly during the 8min I played before I got tired of my MacBook Pro's trackpad, which is running Leopard 10.5.1.

Any plans for making the thing support wide-screen monitors? I found the black bars on the side a bit jarring on my 16:10 display.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
Thanks for testing. Not plans for making this game support widescreen I'm afraid as I'd have to redo all my backgrounds to be wide screen, or stretch them which wouldn't look good (or zoom in on them I guesS). My framework will soon support widescreen monitors but the ieda will be to have black bards on the side of 800x600 games (instead of stretching).

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#11]
Why don't you have a festive tiled image to replace the black bars? like Christmas wrapping paper etc?

Genexi2(Posted 2007) [#12]
Was thinking along the same lines as Boomboom, frame the display or something so it's something other than just black bars. Would only require the one graphic at that rate.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#13]
Good idea. After I finish my current game, I'll see if I have time (otherwise it'll have to wait until NEXT year :-))

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#14]
Was thinking along the same lines as Boomboom, frame the display or something so it's something other than just black bars. Would only require the one graphic at that rate.

At least some of the existing background images probably look OK simply stretched to widescreen format.

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#15]
Hey cool Grey - Great Work dude!

IPete2.

spraycanmansam(Posted 2007) [#16]
Have you tested it in Windowed mode? I tried it windowed and I think it stuffed the particles up... where there were snowflakes from the pointer, there are white squares instead, same for all the other little particles... =S

Other than that, it was very well polished. I love those games...!

Dreamora(Posted 2007) [#17]
that squares error sounds like the regular OSX OGL problem that BM 1.26 currently has in some cases (if it is BM or OSX changes recently ... who knows that for sure)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#18]
spraycanmansam: Yep, thanks, I listed that in the known issues at the top of the thread. It's the BMax 1.26 error as Dreamora says. Anyway, glad you like it!

MrTAToad(Posted 2007) [#19]
So you are finding the ice tiles hard to see?

Yes, they were a bit tricky to find...