Tank Universal - test level

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal - test level

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm still developing my 3d tank combat game (Tank Universal), even though it was 'released' a couple of months ago now, but I'm looking for some feedback on a new playstyle I'm introducing. Basically this level introduces control points.

The idea is to capture a network of control points. The player can then call in help to take down the walls. Retrieve the enemy key and take it back to your own hub to win.

The download is 80 megs (2 files, moleboxed). Need a reasonable spec PC; 2Ghz cpu, 6600GT 128mb or better, 512megs ram or better

NOTE: to get better fps - hit escape, OPTIONS, turn off GLOW

http://madjack.fileburst.com/TU_PLAYTEST.zip
http://rubux.net/downloads/PhysX(driver).exe
(you'll also need to install the above driver. This will not affect any later version of the PhysX driver you have installed)

On running the game, you'll be asked if you want behemoths ;-) I'd recommend answering 'n' as they make the game considerably harder! As it is, this level's going to be difficult for many people as it's level 13 in the game and there's a lot going on ;-) - (advice: don't stay still, hold down the fire button to use the charge-up ability, stay out of turret range)

Also, this is not a tutorial level, so it's probably worth giving the following at least a bit of a scan...

Red versus blue. You're on blue team.
WASD controls your tank's direction
Mouselook controls the turret.
Hold the fire button down to charge-up your shots (IMPORTANT).

In the land between the fortresses, is a network of platforms (nodes).
Drive onto a node and wait to activate it.
Take control of all the nodes
When you take control of the node directly connected to the enemy hub, you will be able to call in help to destroy the enemy fortress walls (f7-f9).

Extra Stuff!
REINFORCEMENTS: Look for the squid like glyphs floating about - run over them to turn them blue. They will be collected and extra blue tanks will be airlifted in to help you (harvesters will display as 'collecting')

POWERUPS: F1 = turboboost, F2 = heal.
When a tank is destroyed, it leaves glowing diamonds behind (powershards). Collect these to make powerups work. F1 is very handy to get around quickly.

There is an upgrade terminal near your hub. You buy upgrades with upgrade points.. Recommend installing the rockets upgrade. Drop turrets are also fun.

Extra upgrade points can be earned on the battlefield.

When a node has been occupied for some time, a beam tower will appear. These are very dangerous - take out from a distance.

Really recommend not linking the turret to the tankbase - learn to move in a direction while looking around freely.

There's more features than I've covered - so post questions please!

screenies;

Once a node has been occupied for a time, it converts to a beam tower - which is good for taking down behemoths...

ervin(Posted 2007) [#2]
Ooh I'm looking forward to trying this out.
I've played through the entire original release twice.
Fantastic game.

Great to see updates for it!

ervin(Posted 2007) [#3]
Oh oh...

Whether I choose full screen, windowed, behemoths or no behemoths, I get a MAV after clicking Launch.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#4]
ervin

Damn.

I'm just redownloading the file onto my second test machine now.

What's your OS by the way? (and I guess you extracted both files to a writeable directory?)

(edit) I've just redownloaded the zip file and it runs fine on my test WinXP box. Could someone else confirm that it crashes?

ervin(Posted 2007) [#5]
I'm running WinXP Pro SP2.
Yep, I extracted both files to a writeable directory.
I'll re-download and try again.

Yahfree(Posted 2007) [#6]
MAV after selecting graphics mode here aswell...

WinXP home SP2

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#7]
Ok - sorry about that - will try to sort it.

(edit) looks like I've screwed up by not packing one of the Physx dlls. Again, apologies to those who downloaded - will fix this evening.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#8]
ervin/Yahfree

If I could ask a favour? I think you might have some luck if you install the following driver...

ervin(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hi MadJack.

Unfortunately I deleted the installer after I got the MAV, so I can't try it again.
:o(

Once the download is up again, I'll redownload it.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#10]
ok

http://madjack.fileburst.com/TU_PLAYTEST.zip

was the one!

Zenith(Posted 2007) [#11]
Hey MadJack, how's it going?
[EDIT]After getting the PhysX driver, it loads fine now
It plays great, but I can't play it right now, I have to get my homework done. :)

I'll give you an update when I have played it correctly! :)

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#12]
Zenith

Thanks for giving it a whirl! Am looking at including this level in the updated game, but need feedback as to whether it makes sense to players.

I'd recommend not playing with behemoths turned on the first time you play the level - they make things considerably tougher - even for me!

(Hmm - there were quite a few more posts in this thread, but they seem to have disappeared)
Yes, installing the physx drivers should allow the level to play.

By the way, have added an upgrade 'shop' (near the blue hub) + new upgrades. You can buy upgrades with upgrade points.

To try everything
hit the tilde key
type 'give upgrades' to get 99 upgrade points
type 'give shards' to get 99 powershards
type 'god' to go invulnerable

I recommend using rockets against tanks and turrets, mines against behemoths (lay a line of them across their path) and the megabomb (nuke) against the enemy fortress - but give yourself some room!

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#13]
Anyone else had a play?

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#14]
Have also updated the website - new info and overall appearance

http://www.tankuniversal.com

ervin(Posted 2007) [#15]
Excellent.
The new website is looking good.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#16]
Thanks ervin.

Anyone else had a play? Really looking for a little interest from the Blitz community here...

ervin(Posted 2007) [#17]
I'm surprised at the lack of lack of interest so far... TU is such a brilliant game.
Aside from that, it is also a real inspiration to those of us trying to finish a project!

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2007) [#18]
I just started to download it.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2007) [#19]
Memory Access violation

ervin(Posted 2007) [#20]
Did you also download and install the physx driver?

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#21]
Blitz3dCoder
You'll need to install the PhysX driver as well.
(Hopefully this is just a temp measure - I'm looking at how to incorporate the drivers into a moleboxed file.)

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#22]
Ok - can only conclude the prog's still giving problems and that the drivers aren't solving the issue.

Little hard to tell when people don't let you know though...

Zenith(Posted 2007) [#23]
Hey bud, finally got some time to myself! More importantly, time to test your game! :D
I'll update you on it as soon as I can!

update:
Oh man, that's really cool. It feels a lot more capable of multiplayer now ;)
I love the sound of those wall drillers haha, great idea. Their model is great looking. Still really immersing too. I realized one flaw, if you go behind the base you can pop in some missiles and practically destroy anything inside. But that's a defensive flaw more than anything!
Collecting points was cool too, I liked how you get a power wall. One thing that wasn't obvious to me at first was that you have to start there for a while until it pops up. If you want to add a bit of eye candy, or notation for the stupid ones like me, perhaps you can add a counter while sitting there. Or not. :D
Good so far, my brain is still dead from these term papers, but yeah, I'll bug hunt in a bit.

MadJack(Posted 2007) [#24]
Zenith

Hey Zenith! Thanks for the feedback.

Glad you enjoyed the wall drillers - if you want to try the nuke (which I'm sure you'll get a kick out of)
hit tilde, type give upgrade (you'll get 99 upgrade points and can install everything).

Oh man, that's really cool. It feels a lot more capable of multiplayer now ;)

Well feel versus code is one thing ;-) - may be some time down the line, but I have made a number of tweaks to the gameplay which I'm confidant made things flow better.

I realized one flaw, if you go behind the base you can pop in some missiles and practically destroy anything inside.

Hmm - I may bring the rear wall of the level in to close off that area. Thanks.

One thing that wasn't obvious to me at first was that you have to start there for a while until it pops up

In the full game, it'll be the first level using the network play and so I will have a little more info for the player - probably a cutscene and more popups.

perhaps you can add a counter while sitting there.

I tried to give the player a clue with the beeping soundfx - but an on-screen counter couldn't hurt as well - thanks for the tip.

but yeah, I'll bug hunt in a bit.

Appreciate it