Rockfall - The Return DX ... Update

Community Forums/Showcase/Rockfall - The Return DX ... Update

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#1]
Well, it's been a while since I last posted an update to my Rockfall DX game, so here goes...

For those that don't know, Rockfall - The Return DX is a re-write of my current Rockfall game for the PC. It's being re-written from scratch primarily to take advantage of a multi-platform release on Windows, Mac and Linux. I've also taken this opportunity to vastly improve the look and mechanics of the game.

Rockfall, as it's name suggests, can be likened to Boulderdash, although it's actionally based around the Repton series of games that were released for the BBC/Electron computers of the early 1980s. It's basically a "collect the gems while avoiding falling boulders and other nasties" game.

Screenshot

You can click here for some more screenshots.

Changes

- Graphics have been tidied up along with a brand new main font.

- There are now seven tunes by Achim Tober included (Achim, if you're reading this, is it OK for me to use seven tunes in one title? I don't want to take liberties). These may not be the final tunes, but I would like feedback on whether you think they fit with the game.

- If you have more than 512MB of RAM you can have all the music load at start up, which gives you the option of having each tune loop per level, or have them play one after the other regardless of level.

- A couple of the more annoying sound effects have been changed (particularly the ding sound of the gems).

- The high score table now saves your scores.

- The end-sequence is now in.

- Display detection has been tweaked so it should more accurately choose a suitable resolution for your display.

- A bug has been fixed where a profile would get over-written with the default settings should the game get launched from another user account after already being run once in a different account.

- Windows: All save data is now in the Common Applications Folder instead of Program Files.

- Windows: The installer now associates the level files with the game and assigns them an icon. This is to allow a user to easily import a third-party level set later (since game data is now in a hidden folder). A user simply extracts a downloaded file to a place of their choosing and double-clicks the file. The game launches and makes a copy in the Common Applications Folder. They will later be able to export any level files to the My Documents folder from within the level editor (which is yet to be written).

- Windows: The default audio driver should be FreeAudio for XP and OpenAL Generic Software for Vista.

- MacOS: All game media and initial game data is stored within the application bundle, so Universal Binaries are not twice the size they should be!

- MacOS: Game data is stored in the Users/Shared folder, so it can be run from any user account.

- Linux: Game data is stored in the current user's home or Documents folder. There is no shared folder that I am aware of. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Other info

The level set that comes with this download is an imported set from Rockfall 3 that was originally going to be released for the Atari ST. It contains 30 levels that start easy enough, but will soon get quite hard. The reason for this is that the set was never finished, as it was meant to contain around 100 levels. The final game will feature a set based on the current PC set of 71 levels, but will be tweaked and extended to give a full complement of 100 levels. The final game will also include ported sets from Rockfall's 1 to 3. This will mean a grand total of 225 levels with the finished game!

Things to do are the level editor, tutorial levels, completing the final level set, and making changes to the levels from Rockfall's 1 to 3. I want to modify them so that people that have played them in the past can still have some fun with them.

Downloads

Windows installer (20.5MB)

Mac OS Universal Binary (21.1MB, DMG)

Linux (19.7MB, TAR.GZ)

Controls

Move - Cursor keys
Map - Space
Commit suicide - Q
Tab - Hide/show HUD
Pause - Esc

All reconfigurable under the Preferences menu.

Feedback

What I'd like from you guys is any constructive feedback you can give me about the game in general and whether you think there's anything I could improve.

More importantly, it would be useful to know what system specs you have and whether the game ran without any problems. If there were problems or bugs I'd really appreciate knowing about them and whether there is any way that they can easily be reproduced.

There is one known issue on Linux in that if the game is played full-screen, the desktop deosn't refresh itself when the game is exited (this is more a BlitzMax issue unfortunately). Also, the Combiz effects can mess up the refresh rate in full-screen as well, so it's best to turn these effects off if you have them.

Pressing F11 at any time will reveal some debug information.

Apart from that, everything should be working as it should ... fingers crossed!

OK, I've waffled on for quite a while now, so please download and let me know what you think, along with any issues or recommendations you may have.

Have fun.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hello JazzieB,

I have go at your game and here what I think.

GRAPHICS 8/10
MUSIC 9/10
GAMEPLAY 9/10
OVERALL 9/10

I try OpenGL and Direct X ...both run fine on my computer.
I have try full screen with OpenGL and Direct X and also windows with OpenGL and Direct X....no problem at all.
welldone :)

The pc spec I used are

ALTHON 1GHZ
256MB RAM
Radeon 9600XT

I really like the Menu...it was so easy on eyes and so simple.

there is one things in game that if I got stuck and I cant get out(where the wall and bould is blocking the player) and I had to press escape to quit. Would be better if player cant get out then press escape to lose lives then carry on playing game until lives run out then it is game over.

cheers

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks for testing. Glad everything seems to work just fine ... even with 256MB RAM (which I am aiming for as my minimum spec, memory wise).

Would be better if player cant get out then press escape to lose lives then carry on playing game until lives run out then it is game over.

Yeah, the only problem with that is if you're still in a no-win situation after losing a life. You then end up losing two lives instead of just one.

This is why the auto-play feature is there. After dying the game replays your last life. You can quickly get back to where you were by speeding up this replay with the 1, 2 or 3 keys. You can take over at any point by hitting Space, Enter or one of the direction keys.

EDIT - Just re-read that... Pressing Q will kill Spud and restart the level.

Thanks for testing and glad you like it.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
I've ALWAYS wanted to make one of these games and yours is great. I want to play it properly when I have more time. Keep up the good work.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#5]
Cheers Grey. Glad to hear it's something you want to have a proper play with.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2007) [#6]
This is why the auto-play feature is there. After dying the game replays your last life. You can quickly get back to where you were by speeding up this replay with the 1, 2 or 3 keys. You can take over at any point by hitting Space, Enter or one of the direction keys.

That good. You got good group in your team :)

Pressing Q will kill Spud and restart the level.

That is great :)

How much you selling it? £20?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#7]
Cool, will try it out tonight.

[edit] I did try it out briefly but not for long, will try it again tonight and comment.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#8]

That good. You got good group in your team :)

No team, just little old me doing the coding :o( Well, I have drafted a couple of relatives and friends in for testing.

How much you selling it? £20?

Not sure yet. Was aiming for US$15, but with the dollar being so weak and me being in the UK, I may have to launch at US$20.

Defoc8(Posted 2007) [#9]
mmmm...boulderdash - i miss the 8bit/16bit days - though
not so much the tape loading + screechy noises...ERROR!
ERROR!ERROR!... pOke pEek bleh! ;)

goodluck with your project! :)

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#10]
Well. I played your game for a while so here's some comments.

In today's age I felt the graphics were a bit lacking in the `bling` particle effects type factor. The puzzle element is good though, if very frustrating, but also what I saw so far wasn't very original. I think I had more fun playing caverunner on the Amiga. That said it does have potential but I don't think I'd go buy it in its current state.

JazzieB(Posted 2007) [#11]
Thnaks for your comments.

In today's age I felt the graphics were a bit lacking in the `bling` particle effects type factor.

I admit that the graphics are a little bit rough around the edges, but I'm no graphics artist. However, this may be rectified for the final version as I've had a good offer from someone to re-do them. As for particle effects, I really don't think they're necessary in every game. Having said that, I'll consider adding something. Just not sure what at the moment.

The puzzle element is good though, if very frustrating

Glad you like the puzzle element, as this is something I always thought that Repton was better at than Boulderdash. As for it being frustrating, I said this in the original post...

The level set that comes with this download is an imported set from Rockfall 3 that was originally going to be released for the Atari ST. It contains 30 levels that start easy enough, but will soon get quite hard. The reason for this is that the set was never finished, as it was meant to contain around 100 levels.

The levels included here are not the default set for the final version, as I'm keeping those under wraps. These will have a much gentler learning curve and introduce the various gaming elements one at a time.

also what I saw so far wasn't very original

Never claimed it was! Just trying to be one of the better versions out there. There are hundreds of Boulderdash clones out there, but not so many Repton ones. Although they look very similar, they play differently, and I much prefer Repton to Boulderdash. The very first Rockfall was written because I didn't get on with Boulderdash on the Atari ST. There are a couple of original gameplay elements (when compared to Repton), but I'm saving massive gameplay enhancements for the sequel in a couple of years time.

That said it does have potential

Thanks. I hope so too.

Thanks again for your feedback, and I do take on board everything said.

Achim(Posted 2008) [#12]
@JazzieB

Nice work - it's a lot of fun playing your game !

CYA !

PS: Great music ;-)