BoulderDash

Community Forums/Showcase/BoulderDash

AltanilConard(Posted 2007) [#1]
I started this project a while ago for this contest (http://blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=69758#785355). I decided to finish it, and ended up completely rewriting it. It's alomst done, only have to add Magic Wall and fix some bugs. I wanted to add sound to (trough code) but the project became far to big then I wanted to.
Here's the game (code only):
www.chainswarriors.com/Boulderdash2.bmx

Level editor:
www.chainswarriors.com/LevelEditor.bmx

After you saved your level file, a YourMapName.txt file will be created in the directory of the code file. You'll have to copy the content of that file and paste it at the end Boulderdash2.bmx file. Then you'll have to put the name of your map (the first data field) between two " (quotes)
Now you'll have to increase the amount of maps by one:
#map_data
'       Amount of maps
DefData 8

To test the map, you can change
Global CurMapNum=0

to the number of the map.

Screenshots:

Comments are highly appreciated, and please post any bugs you find.

Ross C(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hmm, you should post an exe file so us non bmax ppl can try it :o)

AltanilConard(Posted 2007) [#3]
File is to big to post here I think, I'll upload it to my website and post the link.

Ross, sorry but I don't have a windows computer at the moment. Maybe someone can compile an .exe for you after I uploaded the code.

Bremer(Posted 2007) [#4]
The code is not complete, there are lines of data missing, if not more. It cannot compile in its current state.

AltanilConard(Posted 2007) [#5]
I know, the code was to big to post in a single post so I decided to upload the .bmx files. I've updated my first post with the link.

_33(Posted 2007) [#6]
Conard, this looks exactly like the Atari 8-bit version of Boulder Dash! very nice! Is there an EXE I could try it out? Are there animated characters in there like the walls around the maze and the colors in the diamonds and so on?

Abrexxes(Posted 2007) [#7]
this looks exactly like the Atari 8-bit version of Boulder Dash!

or http://www.c64games.de/phpseiten/spieledetail.php?filnummer=517

But on all systems, one of the best game ever! I have an original C64 only for that Game ;P

AltanilConard(Posted 2007) [#8]
_33: There are animated characters (fireflies, butterflies, still working on the animation for the amoeba) just like the original version. There is a wall around the maze, the diamonds are animated too and the first 7 levels are identical to the original version.
I'm right nog working on more levels and a Magic Wall. Thanks for the comment!

PS. When I have some time I'll compile and upload a .exe

_33(Posted 2007) [#9]
Do you have the music? The first BoulderDash music was real good, but the second BoulderDash music was even better!

Anyhow, this is definately classic. If you have the skills in the graphics department, a graphically updated version option in your game would make it quite interesting (sounds like a request?) :P

AltanilConard(Posted 2007) [#10]
I have the music but I want the project to stay 100% code only. I tried to imply music by code but it got a little to advanced and I decided to leave the music out, I agree that BoulderDash's music was awesome back then.

I might look into the updated graphics option, it's just that creating this graphics took me half of the projects time and I'm getting kind of lazy ;)

I'm creating the exe right now, it will be up in half an hour.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#11]
hehe this is interesting... Im doing a project exactly like this one, using the original graphics to :)
well im using the C64 art, but the differens is minimal.

i will proberbly also ship in an editor, so people can help me reconstruct all the levels from the original game :)

anyway, i will try your version when i get home from work, but it looks good :)

[edit]
i have been looking for ever for the music, if you have it and can share it with me, i would be very happy :)

Ginger Tea(Posted 2008) [#12]
my all time fave boulder dash clone is icicle works for the commodor +4

Taron(Posted 2008) [#13]
fabulous work, man! Congrats! I knew it was a great game and you're perfectly reminding me of it. Great job, really. I'm wondering how far one could go with simulating the SID through Blitz... i have, eerily, my doubts that it would be fast enough with everything else, but it somehow sounds wrong to me. I just can only imagine the bitching about slow running stuff, hahaha. I havn't looked deeply enough into audio myself, yet. But I'm very excited about it.

AltanilConard(Posted 2008) [#14]
Thanks for the kind comments :)

@Xip: there isn't any music in this remake, as I couldn't find any myself.

Xip(Posted 2008) [#15]
I have the music but I want the project to stay 100% code only.

there isn't any music in this remake, as I couldn't find any myself.

uhm... wtf? :P

AltanilConard(Posted 2008) [#16]
I have the music but I want the project to stay 100% code only.

Haha, I didn't know I had said that. As far as I can remember I never actually found the music, at least I can't find it now.

Anyways, good luck with your remake ;)

Xip(Posted 2008) [#17]
I was playing with this again, just to compare with my own clone.

and im sorry to say, that this game seems very different from the original, in how things work.

for example, atleast the C64 version dont have smoth scrolling betwin blocks, you move step by step in the level blocks.
i dont know if the atari version is different on this?

boulders randomly kill you when thay should not, and almost always move back and forward when falling down.
very strange behavior i dont anderstand.

also, the screen goes black in fullscreen on my computer, i dont think my screen can handle the static framerate, when i change to windowd mode it works.

hehe sorry to sound so harsh, i like the original to much and your version dont manage to catch the feeling i so love... but then again, i have only playd the C64 version, so maybe things are different from the version you are using as a template?

anywya, one posetive thing i have to say, your OOP source is way nicer looking than mine, i was feeling very retro and wrote it all in a very function-based structure. (like old times)

i have a few things to fix(animation for player) and then i will releas my version to :)