Yet another text based RPG

Community Forums/Showcase/Yet another text based RPG

Pineapple(Posted 2007) [#1]
I'm working on a text RPG (I'm coding it in B+ but it should also work in B3D and BB). I could do with some opinions. It's not complete; but your game is gonna be a dead end if you go anywhere but east when it asks where you go in the intro. It saves and is making pretty good progress.

I would appreciate it it you all could tell me if you find any bugs or if something doesn't suit your taste. Everything you type must be in lower case. Also, if you have any ideas, I'm open for suggestions.

BTW: I put in a little cookie for those who read everything. Check the armory and eventually the owner will say something quite hilarious if you meet the right conditions.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#2]
Ohhhhh, this reminded me of the very first PC game I played, Star Wars on a 5-1/2" Floppy disk, some 23 years ago, hehehehe. It started my PC Craving that gets worse each day.

Very nice start, the text extends beyond the border of the window though.

You may want to look at colorizing the text, may make it easier to read.

Good job and good start!

Pineapple(Posted 2007) [#3]
Could you tell me what lines go beyond the border? If you're not using B+ you should probably call graphics 800x600 or something.

And about the color, I already am. It looks like it won't be easy though, unfortunately. But I'm gonna try.

Pineapple(Posted 2007) [#4]
I've been hard at work on this RPG, here it is with the Loam Dungeon now added with orks to fight galore! You will need to delete your previous save.rpg file to play properly.

My ultimate goal is to make this an RPG unlike so many out there where the only role you play is the one they give you, but this will be one in which there is more freedom in which path you take. I am uncertain if I will have quests of any sort yet. My ultimate goal, though, is to make several locations in the game, such as pubs or arenas, where other players connected to the internet will be there also. I think an arena would be very nice, with players given the ability to combat one another. I dream on though, with networking, aside from 3D coding and applying proper sound and music to my games, is the thing I am worst at.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2007) [#5]
B3Dman,
Could you tell me what lines go beyond the border? If you're not using B+ you should probably call graphics 800x600 or something.

Why don't you copy the code and change it temporarily yourself! I DID.

Pineapple(Posted 2007) [#6]
What? I'm not sure what that's supposed to mean.

Anyway, here's a better code.

I added the monk garden although it's not finished and I added some more neat stuff to Castle Loam, such as the Ork Stronghold. Oh, one hint: the oddball is your friend. Show him mercy.

I improved the fighting system slightly and added a new job and a specialized weapon. If you go to the study in the monk's garden, there is one book that you need personality curious to know is there and another that I'll make some event to show it but I'm not sure what it'll be yet. Note that that last book I described is incomplete. I renamed the bar to tavern, to be more accurate. So far if you cross the ravine or if you go to the north you'll be stuck. I fixed a bug where you were not limited to n,s,e,w in the intro also. I did a few general tweaks here and there, and here's this. I'll let the code speak for itself.

suggestions are welcome for ways to make the beginning of the game more exciting.

Blitz3dCoder(Posted 2007) [#7]
I found problem. I don't know if you intended this, but every time you type "Tavern" to go to the Tavern, It pays you. So there is virtually no challenge in earning money. Just a comment.

Pineapple(Posted 2007) [#8]
It was intentional. It pays just low enough and just frequently enough to earn you a decent living. Become an Ork Hunter. Then you can start raking in the funds ; ) Although it might be a good idea to change that a bit.

Here's the most recent code. If your get to where you can go to the desert, don't. It's incomplete. I changed the payment for a tavern employee and finished the monk garden (at least for now). I think the beginning of the game should be a bit more fun now. I'm not sure, but I might add a job for you to be a monk later on. So far the only storyline I can think of is to rid Castle Loam of the ork underworld and to restore Skull City to its original peaceful state. And possible to rid the desert of shrews by slaying the queen shrew. I'd like to put a dragon cave in the world someplace too, but I've got no idea where. Probably in the north. I reworked the intro just a little bit also.

Please be sure to report to me any spelling mistakes, punctuation errors, and the like.

And nobody has given me any good suggestions for adding onto the game yet!

[edit]I just improved the Loam Dungeon doctor.[/edit]

I'm suprised at how difficult it is to restrain myself from playing instead of coding. Usually I have to play to the point where I left off coding before I continue.