I'm glad to present you my first game written in blitzmax :

KOKOTORI adventures : http://pagesperso-orange.fr/amagumo/koko.rar

It's a small 5 levels platformer.

Help koko the baby bird to gather all the fruits
scattered around in kokoland.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#2]
Nice!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
Hey this is cool, I like it! Congrats on completing a platform game!

When you draw the tiles are you drawing them at Floating Point coordinates or are they rounded to Integers? thx.

amonite(Posted 2007) [#4]
Thanks Boiled Sweets !
Thanks Grey Alien, i'm glad that you like it, the tiles are drawn using integers as coordinates.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
ok thanks for the info.

Filax(Posted 2007) [#6]
Really nice Neji :) i like the style :)

degac(Posted 2007) [#7]
loveable!

N(Posted 2007) [#8]
Make more of this. Now.

amonite(Posted 2007) [#9]
merci Fil :)
@degac, don't make me flush.
@Noel Cower, Roger !

IPete2(Posted 2007) [#10]
nice one,

IPete2.

_33(Posted 2007) [#11]
320x240 :(

Ked(Posted 2007) [#12]
320x240 :(

I personally like platformers at a small resolution.

Good Job!

caff_(Posted 2007) [#13]
Looks nice.

But on the flipside I'd like to see a 2d platformer run at 1680x1050.

altitudems(Posted 2007) [#14]
I like the low res, but maybe add an option for a 2/4x mode?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2007) [#15]
800 X 600 is the ideal resolution for this type of game - too retro otherwise.

[Edit]
But a good job - welldone.

amonite(Posted 2007) [#16]
Thanks all for your kind comments, that's really much appreciated :)
@33, the resolution is a bit small for today's standards i know but when i first started to work on the game i deliberately chose to go the small route in order to maximize my chances of finishing the game which was my first priority (and having fun too).
I didn't want to spend too much time making more graphics and at a higher resolution, i wanted to see if i could pack together a small platform game considering it's my first try.
If i do another one i'll try to make it more advanced of course :)

_33(Posted 2007) [#17]
640x480, or... I have a better idea, double the number of tiles across!

Your game is good, it's a fine prod. Everything is fitting, to the point where I told myself; "This could be running on an ATARI ST and I couldn't tell the difference"! I congratulate you for achieving the goal you set. And everything does work fine over here.

Good luck for the next one!

MGE(Posted 2007) [#18]
"When you draw the tiles are you drawing them at Floating Point coordinates or are they rounded to Integers?"

Still worrying about that? :)

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#19]
yer controls are toight, toight like a toiger

Ked(Posted 2007) [#20]
Did you make the music? If so, how did you?

amonite(Posted 2007) [#21]
_33, that's very encouraging thank you :)

Jeremy Paxman, i'm not really sure what the term 'toight' means, i had a quick look on the internet but couldn't find any definition for it and i don't have a dictionary here at the moment.

Ked, yes i did the music with pxtone which you can get here :
http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA022293/pxtone.html

That's a very basic tracker and that's why i like it, you can add your own samples, but i usually prefer to make my music note by note.
I usually begin with a loop on 4 measures and some simple beat or melody which i then expand until i'm happy with the result :)
The tracks in kokotory are very small and repetitive and could be really better but i'm not a musician.

_33(Posted 2007) [#22]
Neji: How did you integrate the DLL for txtone?

amonite(Posted 2007) [#23]
_33, i don't know (maybe one can make a wrapper ?), i just save the pttunes in .wav then i either convert them to .ogg or simply keep them in .wav format.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2007) [#24]

When you draw the tiles are you drawing them at Floating Point coordinates or are they rounded to Integers? thx.

the tiles are drawn using integers as coordinates.

The next question should be, are you using any frame speed compensation for fast and slow computers?

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#25]

Austin powers in: goldmember. Goldmember says it

amonite(Posted 2007) [#26]
Steve, yes the game runs with a 60 hertz timer and the animations have frame limiting speed.

Jeremy, i only watched one of the Austin powers movies years ago so that i really can't remember anything about it.
I still haven't got a clue about what 'toight' means :/
Can you give a synonym for it ?

Leto(Posted 2007) [#27]
Jeremy was writing in an vocal "accent".
"yer controls are toight, toight like a toiger" = Your controls are tight, tight like a tiger.

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#28]
Fun game, I agree 800x600 would have been a better idea, it's still a smaller window on almost anybody's desktop.

As I played I found myself pondering the following questions:

- 1. Why is a baby bird playing with explosives ?

- 2. Are Koko's related to the kiwis ?

- 3. Would kiwis still be endangered if they had access to explosives ?

- 4. Who created flying deep sea mines and then deployed them in central america ?

- 5. Are those carrots or pinapples I'm collecting ? Miniature palm trees maybe ?

- 6. Since when do birds eat either carrots or pinapples ? Wait, I guess if plumbers can live on magic mushrooms they find in the ceiling, it's ok.

- 7. Why does this bird have to move SOOO slowly ?

- 8. Can I use an explosive to project the bird fowards faster ? Unfortunately for the bird, I quickly discovered the answer... No, you can't.

- 9. Dude, you can blow the crab's skull straight out of it's head ! Ok, that one's not a question but jeez !

Seriously though, cool game, no collision bugs or other annoying problems and it has it's own style. It's kinda hard though, gave up on the second level.

amonite(Posted 2007) [#29]
@Leto, cool :) now i think i know what it means.

McSeb,
yeah a 640*480, or 800*600 resolution would be better, i 'll try to do that next time.

Good questions, i'm glad you ask :)

-1. You're right it should not happen and i know it is silly. Well, first he was spitting gum bullets but then i realised the game was too easy so i switched to explosives without realising it wasn't logic at all !
I think it's because i didn't plan anything before i started.

-2. If by kiwis you are refering to the inhabitants of New Zealand, i would say no they are not related at all.
(But then i don't know maybe there is a special thing that makes you think they can be related besides the phonological similarity ?)

-3.Not sure about what you mean here (sorry english isn't my native tongue). I think explosives can be dangerous if badly used.

-4. LOL who knows ? :)

-5. I wanted to draw pineapples, looks like it almost succeded.

-6. yeah exactly, plumbers and kokos share a very special food regime !

-7. He's still a baby which explains why, but by holding down the 'Right Ctrl' key he sould move faster. (i know i could have make a keyboard config panel, will do that next time)

-8. Vey good idea, that's the kind of things in the gameplay i'd like to improve. As you have noticed the controls are very simple and basic in this game.

-9. Hehe :)

That's very cool you played up to the 2nd level, i really don't realise how difficult the game can be (i'm so used to play it, i still almost find it too easy). Next time i 'll try to work on that.
Also, that 's good to know the game runs without any trouble for you.