Yet Another FPS (first B3D project)

Community Forums/Showcase/Yet Another FPS (first B3D project)

Sonic65(Posted 2007) [#1]
Warning: This topic is 56K unfriendly.

Since the Gallery won't let me upload images for some reason, I'll just have to post this here. This is yet another FPS game written in Blitz3D, unnamed as of yet. This is also basically my first project so don't judge me too harshly =P

Screenshot:

Object placement isn't done yet.

EDIT:more screenshots

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
Man a NAME is *THE* most important thing. How can you make a game without a name? ... kidding ;-)

Can't really tell what I'm looking at here but good luck anyway.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#3]
Looking good so far. Welcome to the club ;) .

puki(Posted 2007) [#4]
Looking okay. At this early stage the graphics and textures are not an issue. Keep up the good work.

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#5]
Pssh, Beats mine graphics wise. And Ive been coding for 2 years now.

Sonic65(Posted 2007) [#6]
I didn't make those textures myself, they're actually from a bunch of free texture libraries, mostly the FilterForge library (www.filterforge.com).

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#7]
I like the graphics, lots of people who do FPS's mess up the gun and it looks stretched out and ill-positioned

Sonic65(Posted 2007) [#8]
I'm just going to use this topic as my update topic, so here's some updates.

There are now NPCs placed around for you to talk to. You just shoot them to talk to them, at which point the game goes into cutscene mode until Space is pressed.

There are also boxes now which you can shoot at and break.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hey I can see more now, nice!

Mortiis(Posted 2007) [#10]
Nice additions for a first game. Wish you luck with your first one.

BTW why don't you create a worklog Sonic65?

Sonic65(Posted 2007) [#11]
I just did that =P

Sonic65(Posted 2007) [#12]
Update:

I've implemented a trigger system which allows for triggers to be placed and events to be scripted based on them. For example, in a certain area of the first training level, you have to shoot green targets to go forward, as the guy here tells you:

A trigger is placed blocking the way, so if you don't shoot all the targets before going forward, this happens:

Also, when you shoot a green trigger, smoke particles now appear. Thanks to jfk E0-11110 for the particle engine for this.

The FPS seems varied in each screenshot there, but it actually doesn't jump much at all. The FPS goes down when in talking mode, but when in live-action mode it does pretty well.

kragoth74(Posted 2007) [#13]
Using animated models can also slow everything down.

Neuro(Posted 2007) [#14]
Where have I seen that robot model from.....???

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#15]
The FPS goes down when in talking mode, but when in live-action mode it does pretty well

how are your printing your text? Using the text commands can often be a *lot* slower than using bitmap images to 'draw' the text instead.

*(Posted 2007) [#16]

Where have I seen that robot model from.....???

Purebasic I think.

Looks good :)

Sonic65(Posted 2007) [#17]
I figured out the reason it was slowing down. It was the transparent image function from the code archives I was using. I'll have to find/make another one then =P

The robot model is by Psionic3D, and I'm also using images for all text.

Sonic65(Posted 2007) [#18]
I know you're probably getting tired of me updating the topic every 5 seconds but whatever =P

Anyway, I added some enemies with basic (150 lines of code) AI.

The projectiles work in basically the same way as the player's, except these projectiles can actually hurt the player, as shown below:

Also, how can I make an enemy, when in patrol mode, patrol in a straight line until it reaches a wall and turn around repeatedly? I don't want to use pivots or waypoints, because it would take a lot of additional coding to make each enemy use only certain pivots. Also, I'm using Blitz World Assembler, not Unlimited Drop (I hate Unlimited Drop's control scheme), so I don't have the liberty of 8 fully customizable properties per object (I only have 7 global flags and 1 data field).

Xzider(Posted 2007) [#19]
Sweet,When can I play the demo?

Sonic65(Posted 2007) [#20]
This isn't even near a demo release yet right now, but at the rate things are going, I might upload a very basic demo before next week.

Chad(Posted 2007) [#21]
Hey, I like the looks of this, keep up the good work!

Xzider(Posted 2007) [#22]
Yeah. that would be cool, so we can judge it a bit more:) Have fun coding!

Pineapple(Posted 2007) [#23]
Looks great for your first game, Sonic. Good luck!

Sonic65(Posted 2007) [#24]

Just more enemy pictures, I fixed a lot of AI bugs today. I just have to make a boss and finish up a little more of the layout before I release a demo.