LAN IM & LAN IM SERVER

Community Forums/Showcase/LAN IM & LAN IM SERVER

Ked(Posted 2007) [#1]

FEATURES FOR 'LAN IM':
*Connect to a server using the hosting computer's name (i.e. KITCHENCOMPUTER)
*Listbox shows who all is in the chat
*Color in the textarea as well as bold and italics
*A send button (but enter works just as well)
*When someone is typing a message the listbox will update to show you who it is

FEATURES FOR 'LAN IM SERVER':
*Informs the host what all is going on (any logins? any messages sent? any logoffs? and disconnections?)
*Allows people with different names (otherwise it would be confusing) to login
*When the server window is closed the server will send one last message saying that the server has disconnected

What is LAN IM & LAN IM SERVER? Well, its an local area network instant messenger that comes with a client and server. What does that mean? It means you can instant message people within your local area network!

Price? Free. Or as I have said before:
I am selling it for free.

DOWNLOAD: http://files.filefront.com/SETUPexe/;8910955;/fileinfo.html

If you like it a lot and would like to maybe see some updates you can donate here: DONATE

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#2]
Why don't you make it run without a server. Since its on a lan it wouldn't have much problem in terms of speed searching through all the IP addy's on the network. Then each instance of the program running would keep and update a list of every other instance of the app running (its IP address etc) which it gave out to the new instance if it found it, so it would only have to find 1 other version running to connect to everyone.

Back when I was in school, we had Acorn computers and a program called 'netchat' that ran like this. It was so popular the school had to ban it and upgrade thier servers to block it.

Ked(Posted 2007) [#3]
Ok, I will try that. I am not sure, though, how to search through all of the ip's quickly. That should take some time wouldn't it? Going through 254 ip addresses? But I'll see if I can get something going.

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#4]
It doesn't really take too much time. Plus it only has to go until it finds one instance running, then get all the ip addresses for the other connected programs off that (and add itself to everyones lists)