Inferno

Community Forums/Showcase/Inferno

nino(Posted 2007) [#1]
My indie game studio Physle released its first game this week called Inferno. It is written in Blitzmax so I thought you guys might be interested.

http://physle.com/inferno/

It's 2-D platform/collection game for mac and pc (don't have a linux box set up at the moment). It is a free download we are using primarily for promotion. We are well into our second game and hope to start beta testing on that soon.

Other than a few minor issues, bmax has been a joy to work with. Keep up the good work brl.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
cool, played 3 levels. It's nice to see a platformer.

I had some observations/questions:

1) Why does he bounc up and down all the time, I found this a little offputting as it was hard to know when to jump.
2) It would be nice if moving platforms carried you automatically and you didn't have to walk across on them just to keep up with them
3) It's not always clear at the start of a level which way to go although I seemed to do it OK.
4) Feels like the game needs a little more to me. I saw the ladders and springs, maybe there's more later. Also I think the small platforms were "scarey" and I'd like to see nice flat areas to run around on but I guess that's part of how you designed it :-)

Anyway, thanks for posting it.

nino(Posted 2007) [#3]
Thanks for playing Gary!

to some of your points-

1 "hard to know when to jump" is exactly why he bounces. This means not every jump is the same. If you jump at the top of a bounce he will go just a tad higher than at the bottom.

2 I agree and in the next game they will move you. Inferno is really a pretty primitive game so there were a few elements of the physics code which weren't in place at the time of writing - i.e. being "locked" or standing on a block or platform. I still think it works with the bouncing and probably wont go back and change it.

3 always follow the coins - it's kind of a hansel and gretel game design. However you can get into a position where you collected the coins but fell back and need to remember which way to go - this is ok though I think as the levels are pretty short and having to start at the beginning again isnt too big of a deal.

4 coins, doors, keys, ladders, springs, turbos (like a super spring), balloons, a big gate, and guardians. I tried to introduce a new element with every level so many don't come into play until the end.

As for the design it's all about that precarious balancing on a tiny rock feeling- a sort of "almost flying but not quite". It's actually pretty forgiving with the double jump and the testers got the hang of it pretty quickly. Last level may still be too hard though and the balloons did confuse people.

The game we're working on now is much more of a traditional platformer with puzzles, levers, buttons, longer places to run and the like. I'll try to get some of the bmax community the beta when it's ready.

nick

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
cool I look forward to seeing it. Good luck.

YellBellzDotCom(Posted 2007) [#5]
Very nice design, pretty fun trying it out. Great job!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#6]
I tried out your game, I am not fond of the constant jumping up and down and the level design could be better but otherwise its a good effort.