Stopple released (FREE game)

Community Forums/Showcase/Stopple released (FREE game)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#1]
We are pleased to announce the release of our latest finished game, Stopple. Go grab it here - http://www.boiledsweets.com/Stopple

Stopple is a free, addictive and fun game for all the family.

Stopple, a stand alone, installable, directX version of the awesome flash game Bloxorz. This means that you don't need to be online to play it. Simply download for FREE, install and enjoy!

The aim of the game is simple, to get the block to fall into the square hole on each level. There are 33 levels to complete.

Yes we have permission from Damien Clarke the author of Bloxorz. Many thanks Damien!

Enjoy!

Any problems please report back here and please remember this is a 100% free game! Written in 3 months including web page, docs, installer, graphics, music etc (oh and that was with about 6 weeks off in the middle). So it IS possible to complete a fully functional game in that time. So come on folks finish those projects!

Did I mention it is FREE?

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#2]
I was going to say I thought it looked remarkably like Bloxorz.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#3]
I liked Bloxorz so much and the challenge of coding the various 'tumbling' routines interested me. I didn't really mean to make a copy of the full game - it just kinda happened ;-)

Once I start a project I have to finish it.

Anyhow it has given me loads of ideas and codebase for Stopple 2 - basically Bloxorz on steroids!!!

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#4]
I complete Level 1 then it bombs out with a MAV.

First I've heard of this game though so I played Bloxorz online instead. Cool.

Edit:

Okay. I only get the MAV with the sick making backgrounds turned off. Which was the first thing I looked for and did, before playing. Theres just no need for them ...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#5]
@Geehawk

thanks for pointing out the bug - fixed. It was by design that I gave the option to turn off the backgrounds as some people actually like them. You don't, fine.

In the meanwhile if you leave them on but put the visibility down to 0 it won't MAV.

New version will be out tomorrow.

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#6]
Very nice - excellent stuff.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#7]
cool - free - downloading now - if neat I'll pimp it for you on www.binaryjoy.co.uk

Trixx(Posted 2007) [#8]
Excellent work, excellent game. I'm just missing a high score system.

p.s. Settings on the start screen ( video options ) are not remembered.

TomToad(Posted 2007) [#9]
Good job. Now I'll be up half the night :)
BTW why use a code you have to write down? Couldn't you just save the progress since it's on the HD and not a web based program anymore?

Once I start a project I have to finish it.

When is Qoob going to be finished? :D

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#10]
@ Everyone

New version uploaded - grab it from the link in the first post.

Whats New?
----------------

* Added another 9 backgrounds (this is what happens if you leave me alone with Texture Maker)

* Changed the pointer dust image

* Menu buttons weren’t animating in non 1440 * 900 gfx resolutions

* Game crashed if the backgrounds were turned off – fixed, thanks Geehawk

* Minor menu tweaks

@Trixx

1. I might add a high score system (i.e. least moves and best time). It would be stored online so people could compare against each other etc.

2. The gfx options should be remembered if you select the "do not ask me again".

3. IDeal is awesome :-)

@TomToad

As for the remembering the code - yes a good idea.

I have been finishing various "smaller" projects (Interstellar Highway, Moose, Starburst and Stopple)to clear the way for qoob . They are all done so the ONLY project unfinished is qoob and its my intention to finish it by Xmas.

The thing is this is a free game so adding these extra features are not high on my priority list but I'll think about it.

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#11]
Nice - cheers! I played the original a while back. It's suprising how much strategy is required for something so simple.

*BUG*
Note that I initially set it up to run in 16bit fullscreen but the level tiles were displayed in front of the avatar making it confusing to play. 32bit was fine though.

Stevie

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#12]
@Stevie G

hmm, odd - seems fine here in 16bit full screen. I wonder if it's driver problem

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#13]
Hey this is neat and nicely presented (as always). I wish there was a proper "level select" screen instead of having to remember a level code like from the C64 days...

[edit] pimped...

http://www.binaryjoy.co.uk/games/games-news/stopple-free-puzzle-game/

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#14]
@Grey

TA! And your reward, I'll add that level select thingy. BUT you only get to select a level you have completed (or the next one)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#15]
Sounds fair enough.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#16]
You lucky lucky people. A new improved version is available. Bar any terminal bugs being found I now consider this project to be complete. It's qoob time!

1.00 (build 11) – 31.10.07

* Added support for the widescreen 1680 * 1050 resolution

* Added a sound effect when block is on bridge

* No sound effect when block repositioned onto the start square – fixed

* No sound effect when player hit heavy switch but didn’t activate it - fixed

* Amended the restart system, no more codes to remember!

* Added another 3 backgrounds bringing total to a nice round 32

* Some of the menu buttons were still active despite being hidden – fixed

* Display message when saving a screen shot in the game

* Boiled Sweets splash logo now displayed correctly for all resolutions

* Fixed Memory Access Violation bug when exiting and re-entering game from menu

* Now no need for the FastImage.dll

http://www.boiledsweets.com/Stopple

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#17]
sounds like a good update, congrats, and good luck with Qoob.

Murilo(Posted 2007) [#18]
This is excellent! I never played, or heard of, the original, but I really like it. Great presentation too.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#19]
Level 15. If I teleport/split then move a split block onto a bridge it 'locks' with a looped sound effect? Lose all control but Esc works.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#20]
@Geehawk,

thanks fixed now - you can go grab it again - just install over existing install and it will remember which level you were up to.

1.00 (build 12) – 31.10.07

* Fixed looping sound effect when mono block on bridge

* No sound effect when mono block positioned onto the heavy or mono switch - fixed

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#21]
Cool cheers. Dont want to have to do those first 14 again. LOL

This is such a good puzzler. I'm loving it.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#22]
@Geehawk,

I have plans -- Stopple 2!

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#23]
Okay. Going mad now.

Is level 19 actually solvable?
A bridge gets created in the centre which is only half a bridge, half of it seems to pivot the wrong way. You can roll over the gap in one direction but fall through when going in the other.
Either way, once over you can go no further it seems ....

Heeeeeeeelp!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#24]
It is well addictive, I had to force myself to stop playing :-)

Don't forget to add here:

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=69886

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#25]
@ Geehawk,

whoops! Sorry I screwed up - fixed now :-)

Download and install over. At this rate you will get a special mention in the help for testing...

1.00 (build 13) 1.11.07

* Level 19 was screwy - fixed (thanks Geehawk)

@ Grey,

done.

Of course if anyone fancies designing some new levels...

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#26]
Good to know I'm not going totally mad :-)

Downloading now. Cheers.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#27]
AAAAAARRRGH!!!!!

Level 20. The soft button on the island with the hole, does not always activate???

If I split/teleport first then it seems to work, but obviously I can't complete the level that way. If I activate the other bridges, then split it does not activate the bridge, or flash anything ???

Also said island is partially off the right side of my screen. 1440x900

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#28]
@Geehawk

level 20 is correct! I have just done it! It's a killer :-)

HO! HO!

Good luck...

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#29]
So why does the button on said island only sometimes activate a bridge ??? thats not in the rules ...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#30]
Sometimes? Hmmm....Seems to always operate the bridge for me...

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#31]
As I say it activates if I teleport before sorting the bridge to the top right island, but if I sort that bridge, then split I cant activate that particular switch. It neither builds the bridge or flashes anything.

I've got a pic but cant remember how to post it ... hang on.....

So I've just rolled onto the soft switch bottom right. Should that bridge not be activated now??? or have I done something in the wrong order? as I say it does not flash anything either, but if I just go straight to the teleport it works fine but obviously cant then get the block off the island top right ????

UUICEO(Posted 2007) [#32]
I think I found a Bug for ya. I was on level 8 I think maybe 9 anyway, I split my block in two, selected the second piece and started him rolling across a bridge and it locked up as soon as I got on the bridge.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#33]
@UUICEO

That was fixed at version 1.00 build 12. Please download the latest version and install over the top (will remember you progress).

Thanks for trying Stopple.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#34]
@Geehawk,

please grab this : http://www.boiledsweets.com/tmp/stopple14.zip

It's just the stopple.exe so is a smaller download and easier to install - just overwrite existing one.

I *think* I've fixed it...

Ta.

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#35]
Cheers for that. On to 25 now ... V hard ...... I'll give it a few more goes before I scream bug ;-)

BTW on 20 at one point coming from the hole side of that problematic switch as a full block, I hit the button which reopend the bridge (end on) then the block fell over the gap but did not fall through and I could move on. As though the block falling beat the bridge is open code ???

Anyway back to 25 ...................

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#36]
@Geehawk,

you are a darn fine tester! I think I know what this is and easy to fix. Want your name in lights?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#37]
@Geehawk,

you are a darn fine tester! I think I know what this is and easy to fix. Want your name in lights?

LiamShearer(Posted 2007) [#38]
Cool game.

Thanks for making it free!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#39]
Thanks for making it free!

Free but not freeware, donationware :-)

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#40]
Well that wasted far too much of my time lol

Bring on stopple 2!!!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#41]
Geehawk,

so no more bugs?
Also any requests / ideas for Stopple 2?

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#42]
Never came across any further oddities, although I did begin to wonder if 29 was solvable at one point...

As to suggestions, the only thing that springs to mind that might fit in with the theme/simplicity of it is some sort of height restriction i.e. you can only roll sideways under it not end over end. ??

Or something like the puzzlers where you cannot move onto a restricted area unless you are the same colour as that area ??

I will have a think ...

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#43]
New version out...

1.00 (build 14) – 2.11.07

* Level 20 was screwy – fixed (thanks Geehawk)

* Repositioned levels slightly to ensure they are completely visible (thanks Geehawk)

* It was possible to land on an opening bridge and not fall (also a closing bridge caused fall) – fixed (thanks Geehawk)

* Replaced two of the backgrounds

* Added option to adjust the block turn speed (default is slow)

That has to be the end! I have to do qoob and Barfo...

DarkMere(Posted 2007) [#44]
Can you just confirm for me that level 28 has not developed a bug since an earlier version, and can still be solved?

Also build 14 says it has adjustable block speeds, but I cannot see any mention in the instructions on how you do this.

Great game by the way, I have taken the bait hook line and sinker :)

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#45]
@Darkmere
I have the latest version (02-Nov), and have managed to complete level 28. Level 29, however, is proving to be a little so-and-so...

The option to adjust block speed does seem to be missing though...

@Boiled Sweets
Love the website - did you hand code the menus? (btw: You have a double "T" in "The aim" at start of the third paragraph...)

DarkMere(Posted 2007) [#46]
I still find it impossible to complete level 28, but I am working on the basis that its my fault. Once you activate the soft switch dropping the bridges there is no way to put them back up. No matter how many times I try, I cannot approach the transporter switch from the north in the correct sequence to activate it.

@Boiled Sweets
Level 11 on Stopple is not exactly the same as level 11 on Bloxorz, making the Stopple version much easier to complete. Sorry about that, just when you thought you had finished :)

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#47]
28 is very tricky, 29 is very hard. The order you activate things is crucial.

I actually found 33 to be quite easy.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#48]
Level 11 is the same as the original

Level 28 is fine (though tricky)

I have reuploaded the archive - the turn speed is in the options.

Go grab it and install over the top, will remmeber your progress...

http://www.boiledsweets.com/stopple/bin/stopple.zip

DarkMere(Posted 2007) [#49]
I can reach level 28 on Bloxorz and have the same problem, so clearly its me :) Ahhhhh

My version of Stopple level 11 has 8 sections from where the block starts to the hole in the middle of the island, Bloxorz has 7 sections.

Thanks for the 'turn speed' option

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#50]
@Darkmere,

OUCH! Oops! Well stopped!

Go grab it and install over the top, will remember your progress. As you are on level 28 it doesn't really matter I guess but thanks.

http://www.boiledsweets.com/stopple/bin/stopple.zip