COM port controlled plug timer

Community Forums/Showcase/COM port controlled plug timer

Andres(Posted 2007) [#1]
I wrote a telnet based timer that has 2*220VAC and 1*12VDC outlets. The whole thing is on an old Pentium I wich has 3 LEDs in front and 3 outlets plus 1 plug in the back.

Program:

Circuit board:

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#2]
Sounds like a lot of fun. So now you can switch a 220V device on using telnet?

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#3]
looks very interesting, am planning to try and communicate with my palm via a 16F84A I've programmed using IR. It'll be done using: http://www.sirpic.com/

Andres(Posted 2007) [#4]
Yes, I can control 2*220VAC (+ 1*12VDC molex) via telnet, soon i'll create a video of the aparatus in action. The 2 bigger relays (220VAC) are 1200W so i can make coffee automagically for myself at the time i sleep. Lazy, i know :P

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#5]
Does that mean you want me to hack your coffee machine? :P

Oh, BTW, coffee... (zombie mode on) ...must...drink...coffee...

Andres(Posted 2007) [#6]
I wonder if you'd be the first one ever to hack a coffe machine :P

Andres(Posted 2007) [#7]
Aparatus in action: http://file.oat.ee/?id=download&file=PA290040.AVI&folder=anC%5Bsep%5Dp2c%2F

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#8]
cool, my pic16f84A is still a work in progress, bought a oscilloscope and proved that the PIC is attempting to drive my IR LEDs, THE palm rex's garbage, need to do fault analysis.

mkg(Posted 2007) [#9]
Man uses networked 'crazy' toaster to hack PC:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/18/networked_toaster_hack/

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#10]
It's pretty good. I got bery lost though. And found a bug, I ran infront of the mine truck as it was coming towards me and ended up getting stuck under it, there was no way at all of getting out from under it.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2007) [#11]

It's pretty good. I got bery lost though. And found a bug, I ran infront of the mine truck as it was coming towards me and ended up getting stuck under it, there was no way at all of getting out from under it.

Hands up if you're drunk.

(/raise.)

Cool project BTW!

Loktar(Posted 2007) [#12]
So is this done in blitz then? Id love to get my hands on some sample code!

Andres(Posted 2009) [#13]
Here are some pictures of the aparatus (p2c referes to "power control center"):

Here you can see the leds in front of the machine:

A plug, 2*220V sockets and a 2 socketed molex (on 1 relay):

"The brain", or is it better to call it "limbs", because the program should be called "the brain":

guess wich wires are my made? :P

I used to grow plants indoors so i used the aparatus to water them. I bought a pump that works on 12V DC and a few meter hose where i drilled many holes at the end and closed the end so it spaddered the water from the drilled holes:

Don't know about the source's current state, but it seems that i've stopped in middle of adding HTTP protocol to the server, so you could login from a browser and even attach a webcam, but haven't got that far at the moment.

SOURCE

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#14]
Heh this is cool, and similar to something I did before.
in fact, you've inspired me to get the old thing up and running again!

Panno(Posted 2009) [#15]
if I understood correctly you do not use optocouplers, beware!

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2009) [#16]
yeah, this is something i've had issues with. Switching 240v things via usb can knock your system wonky- it resets my USB devices on occasion.

Andres(Posted 2009) [#17]
why should i use optocouplers? The program doesn't switch relays that faster it could couse electrical system to fail at my home and it has worked fine for a pretty long time.

I'm thinking on selling this machine and then start a newer project. A one that doesn't have a static PC where i have everything built inside, rather create an external "box" that will be connected up with LPT and one molex to get 5V (for relays) and 12V (connectable devices). But for that i think i'll have to write the program in some other language than BlitzPlus, to use all of the pins.
Current machine uses 3 COM ports due to the lack of my knowledge on using all of the pins on COM. LPT has more pins and as i've heard it should be even easier to use all pins on that than COM port.

Wayne(Posted 2009) [#18]
Check out the section 'safer design' using optio-couplers and why you should use them.

http://www.epanorama.net/circuits/parallel_output.html#circuithow