On sale in Spain.

Community Forums/Showcase/On sale in Spain.

Yeshu777(Posted 2007) [#1]
This is what I do as a day job, designing & programming fruit machines.

This machine is a hi-brid, using both mechanical reels and video reels on a TFT where the feature are played.

It's not PC based, it's embedded system running on a Coldfire processor.

However, I wrote a few applications using Blitz3D to render out the 3D object animations (reels, dice throws etc )into 2D image strips that the board could work with.

Tokamak came in handy to simulate and record the dice throws.

If you look at the TFT in the top dome you can see the video reel images I created using Blitz.

http://www.covielsa.com/screengame/page1_UK.html

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hey that looks like a fairly interesting day job. Someone of your skill could have made big bucks with Belro!

It must be pretty tempting to put a back door in something like this. I know a lot of existing fruit machines have little tricks you can use to improve your odds, as my brother seems to know them all. Out of interest, are there any security measures in place to stop an unscrupulous employee adding such a feature?

Yeshu777(Posted 2007) [#3]
It's a pretty interesting job, especially if you enjoy gambling.

There are measures but then it depends on the determination and the inginuity of the employee.

A few years back when I was freelance I also used Blitz Plus to write a PC based roulette game for betting shops in the UK.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#4]
So your code gets review in detail by quite a few people, I guess? The roulette thing sounds cool. Do you still see it in betting shops? I hardly ever visit them.

Yeshu777(Posted 2007) [#5]
We use SVN as a code repository, so it's there for all to see.

However, there is a black market for 'unofficial' upgrade kits which are prone to these sort of things.

One kit was for a machine my company was making, so we were asked to break the security & disassemble it.

We found that at a certain number of credits and after a certain sequence of buttons the machine pays three jackpots.

puki(Posted 2007) [#6]
Interesting stuff.

In fact, some people on these forums probably have no idea how interesting this is and why it is.

Yeshu777(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hi Puki,

Will see if I can get some other screenies posted.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#8]
Great job. So blitz is now used for industrial arcade hardware. Congrats, keep it up.

Neuro(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hey thats pretty sweet to land a nifty job like that! Thats cool that you're using Blitz to do this stuff...meanwhile...I'm stuck in land of government web apps...boooo..

Yeshu777(Posted 2007) [#10]
Hi all,

Aye, it's pretty neat - I use blitz quite a bit in work as it's ideal for testing animations, ideas etc as it's so quick to get something up and running.

I also use it to write little GUI applications such as CRC checkers, stats analysis & plot graphs and the like.

So I guess it's pretty handy to have around.

Blitzplotter(Posted 2007) [#11]
@Yeshu, it's interesting to see your fruit machines, also that you use it for creating:

I also use it to write little GUI applications such as CRC checkers, stats analysis & plot graphs and the like.

Meanwhile... I'm still on hols till Monday... yay!

Yeshu777(Posted 2007) [#12]
Cheers.

Now with better picture!