HavocBall

Community Forums/Showcase/HavocBall

wizenick(Posted 2007) [#1]
Bounce your ball through 150 levels of insane brick-busting action. Collect the many different
powerups scattered throughout three exciting themes to aid you on your quest. Destroy the
many variations of bricks using an array of deadly weaponry. HavocBall is sure to provide
hours of non stop entertainment for the whole family!

- 3 Themes: Metal, Volcano and Alien
- 150 Exciting Levels
- 30 Different Powerups
- 10 Devastating Weapons

HavocBall Webpage

Download Demo (6.3MB)

Visit Intensity Entertainment

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#2]
Not played it yet, but I have to say it looks very pretty...

However, there's no way on earth I would spend $20.00 for brick bat when there are 100s of free ones all over the place. And brick bat is a pretty limited game to boot. I think if I ever got to the 150th level I don't think I'll be finding it exciting.

That aside, looks pretty.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#3]
Woo, looks nice! I will give it a play later.

re: pricing - I think there are people out there who would be willing to pay $20 for a decent arkanoid / DX-ball style game. But you might get more sales in the $10-$15 bracket.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#4]
I've love these sort of games if they are good and have spent money on ones Like Bricks of Egypt. Plenty of people do spend money on good ones.

What's this made in? BlitzMax?

kragoth74(Posted 2007) [#5]
Nicely done!

The game has some very nice ideas, but I think it looks too classic. The default theme is rather cold and boring, maybe you can change the background image from time to time... The background image looks like a badly compressed jpeg...

The game plays very well, the physics are good and the special effects are excellent! I really liked the sparks and the screen shaking...

As Rob said, I think that $20 is a bit excessive, considering there's a lot of competition in the breakout genre, with some excellent titles (Ricochet, Bricks of Egypt, and many more).

Anyway, congrats for your game, and good luck. ;-)

wizenick(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I've submitted the game to several portals (Big Fish, Arcade Town etc.) and $20 is pretty much standard pricing, so I think I'll leave the price how it is for now.

I see what kragoth74 means about the backgrounds. I wanted to keep the download size down, so I used jpegs instead of pngs for the background images. I'll see if I can fix up the images a bit so they won't look so compressed.

The game was created with BlitzMax.

puki(Posted 2007) [#7]
Looking good. Not my type of game - but it looks good.

M2PLAY(Posted 2007) [#8]
Nice game !! I donīt like the graphics but I like
the guns, ball effects, sparks ... Mmmm the game need more gameplay I think.
In general good work !!! luck

Ked(Posted 2007) [#9]
I donīt like the graphics but I like
the guns, ball effects, sparks ...

Right then.

I haven't downloaded the demo yet, but it looks amazing.

A+

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
Had a quick play. Made some observations:

1) Good to see a standard installation with an uninstall option.
2) Title page is clean but maybe a bit "basic"?
3) No windowed mode (so I couldn't write these notes at the same time!)
4) Clicked buy and that worked but the game shutdown. I guess that's OK.
5) How about a loading gauge?
6) The text telling you what powerup you got is too small for me
7) great explosions
8) Nice clean feeling game
9) Escape should really bring up a menu with Resume, Options, Quit rather than quit yes/no. I pressed escape to pause it so I could press alt+tab and write this but pressing Alt makes it go back into the game. I tried pressing P to pause, that worked, but again Alt unpaused it. Not very helpful. Game music is playing whilst I'm writing this and I guess the game logic is running too...
10) OK I beat two levels, it's neat. Probably gets better later on too, but I gotta do some work now...
11) Music is OK, different on each level is cool.

It's true what someone else said that it doesn't stand out much as the theme is just "techy". However, it is very competent and I wish you the best of luck with it.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#11]
Probably the worst time to release a breakout game with the recent Ricochet Inifinity released. BUT...your game is good, high priced at $19.95, but you already know that. I like the game, plays well, except for some slow down when things get GPU heavy. The cool thing about this kind of game, you can add new themes easily, so why not put out a Holiday theme, kid theme, etc, etc. ;)

xlsior(Posted 2007) [#12]
Looks pretty slick overall, great graphical effects and such.

One observation though:

The clock powerup made everything very choppy on my computer -- It looks like it just affects the screen draw intervals, while all the graphics still move the regular space. It would probably be a lot smoother if you keep the same screen update interval, but simply half all the movement speeds instead?

wizenick(Posted 2007) [#13]
Thanks for the comments everyone.