NeoFlip!

Community Forums/Showcase/NeoFlip!

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi I've just re-released the Demo version of NeoFlip my first (commercial) game, please feel free to give it a try and let me know what you think?

How to play:
1. Remove all the blocks to complete the level!

2. Single click the block you want to move then click on where you want it to go!

3. Or click and drag the block where you want it to go, note you can drag a chain or snake of blocks at once!

4. Connect 3 or more blocks showing the same colour to remove them from the grid!

5. Watch out though if you are left with only 1 or 2 blocks it's game over!

Keys:
Mouse to select and move blocks, click-select click-move or drag
[Escape] - Exit Game
[M] - Mutes Music
[+] - Increase Volume
[-] - Decrease Volume

You can download it by following this link!

Click here!

If you have any problems or feedback you can contact me via e-mail.

Thank You

Merx

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
You need to fix that link. Downloading now...

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#3]
Wow grey alien that was fast!

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#4]
First impressions

1. Despite your description above I have no clue what I'm supposed to be doing?

2. X does not close the window.

3. Sometimes if you select a block and move off it the arrow/path does not show up until you are a block away. If you move back to the adjacent block it then shows. Seems to happen if you move slowly.

4. Did I say I have no clue what I'm doing ;-) I'm sure it must be obvious to some. I presume the colours on the arrows etc.. must have something to do with it ???

EDIT:

I did get numbers appear in the top left of blocks occasionally, were they some part of the game? The font and style of them made me think they were some sort of debug code left in??

When dragging a block if I passed over another block I started dragging that one too. Is that supposed to happen? I was able to drag all 3.

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#5]
Cheers GeeHawk,

1. I've updated the instruction at the top of the page, but your right I need a tutorial/tip feature to get people started!

2. In development to be released soon!

3. Will look into this!

4. In a nutshell your moving cubes around and on every move they roll to change colour, need to add in animation to show this in action!

5. Sorry yep numbers are debug code! Cheers will remove!

6. Yes you can drag a chain of blocks picking up more on the way!

Geehawk(Posted 2007) [#6]
Ah! Rolling cubes. I get it now :-)

Okay. made it to level 3 after a few tries.

Not quite sure how moving more than one cube at once is beneficial, but hey early days.

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#7]
Just 37 levels to go in your one hour demo!

Have Fun!

Cheers

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
OK I had a go. Here's some quick observations:

1) It was a bit of shock that it automatically loaded at the end of install. Normally theres a Finish button on the installer and a checkbox for "Play game now"
2) It has a console window behind the game. This is a bit odd.
3) The fonts look a bit Over The Top and cheap + the reflection on the main logo isn't really working for me.
4) The demo version time left is in the default Blitz font. It looks a bit basic.
5) Where it says Player on the left then has the player name to the right it doesn't look good. It's worse for the score and level. It would be nice to have those centred under the labels. And maybe put all that in a special panel.
6) I clicked on the player name wondering if that's how I changed my player, and it came up with a player dialog. I was able to add two extra letters onto "player". Then I clicked OK and the name didn't move left in the display so the two new letters overlapped the game area.
7) After 6) I clicked player again to try another name and it just bombed out on me. I was able to duplicate this. OK did some more tests. Just load it up, click 3 times in the left hand panel anywhere and it crashes.
8) It didn't install a desktop icon or anything in the start menu. So after the crash I had to look for the icon myself in the game install folder.
9) No full-screen mode.
10) No minimise icon
11) No icon on the window bar
12) Mouse cursor get's stuck on edge of window if you move mouse out of window
13) Colour scheme is garish
14)I would say "click to start" not "hit key to start" even if hitting a key also works as mouse is the norm these days.
15) Need a tutorial. I really didn't know what was going on
16) music is repetitive.
17) In game graphics and background need more polish. You also seem to have a 0 in the default blitz font on some of the squares.
18) Title bar says falling blocks.
19) Music just stopped after a while, maybe when I completed level 1
20) Really needs a proper title page, and an options page, and some kind of in-game menu. Games which have it all on one screen look dated these days.

OK hope that helps. I very sorry that I didn't have much positive to say about it but I was just noting these things as I loaded up the game. What *IS* positive is that you have actually made a game and I'm sure it plays fine if people feel inspired by the game "wrappings" and tutorial to actually play it. Good luck with it.

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#9]
Hi Grey,

Thanks for the feedback this is just what I need!

I bought your framework and I think it already solves a lot of these issues, not sure if I have the latest version though (checked looks like I have 1.03)!

As I already had the candyCascade code I just ran with that, do you think it would take long to port the game over to your framework?

Regards

Merx

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#10]
Yep my framework does fix some of these issues. You have a choice really:

a) Rip out the bits of code to handle some of the things I mentioned above. May be quicker. Then use my framework for your next game.
b) Do a full conversion to my framework - will probably take longer...

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#11]
Cheers Grey,

I'll look into my options, it's tempting to go for a quick push to get the game out there and hopefully selling but I definitely need to make sure it's good to go first!

Just looked at Holiday bonus, really well put together and polished, congratulations!

Looking forward to your next release! ;0)

Arowx(Posted 2007) [#12]
Well I've just uploaded a revised version that solves some of the initial issues thank you for your feedback!

I Still have some work to do to get this ready for release!

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#13]
cool thx for the kind words. Good luck with yours. Keep on improving it!