realsin source for some cool stuff - 3 projects

Community Forums/Showcase/realsin source for some cool stuff - 3 projects

maximo(Posted 2007) [#1]
Spacemarine project

Short desciption:
I've allways wanted to do a simple shooter so this was my prototype with programmers graphics. A spacemarine and lots of hungry aliens around you hunting you down. It's funny when they start chasing you, they try to get as close as possible to you. When they turn red it means they are inpatient that they can't get close enough to you so they try to change their approach. What's also cool with them is that they don't make one long line, each and one of them will try to get as close as possible to you, which means they will try to get ahead of other hunting you, choosing a different direction and path to reach you, etc...

I'm sure some of you can learn from Artificial Intelligence on this one and perhaps improve it ;)

Demo plus source code is included. Controls are w,a,s,d plus mouse for aiming and mouse1 for firing ammo.

download: http://www.msg-gfx.com/spacemarine.rar

screenshot:

Racer project

Short descrition:
Speedy hover vechicles in extreme and visually appealing environemts, well that is what I wanted to achieve ;p

Demo plus source code included. W,a,s,d to control the vechicle. F1-F3 to adjust the camera.

download: http://www.msg-gfx.com/racer.rar

screenshot:

Bomberman project

Short description:
Simple bomberman, never got far here but you can place the boms and run around. Programmers graphics.
w,a,s,d + space to place the bombs

download: http://www.msg-gfx.com/bomberman.rar

screenshot:

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#2]
Very nice stuff maximo. I'm really impressed with your timing method in your racer game.

Jsoren(Posted 2007) [#3]
hmmm, i might pick up on your space marine project alittle (if you dont mind), only thing is, if i do it will end up multiplayer, or an MMO or something...always does when i try starting something simple, its like a desease...

Filax(Posted 2007) [#4]
Many thanks for this sources :)

kragoth74(Posted 2007) [#5]
Very nice Maximo! Thank you for sharing this.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks for sharing Maximo - love the racer (didn't try the others).

maximo(Posted 2007) [#7]
If anyone is interested to know how levels are built for racer let me know and I'll try to explain it, perhaps even provide original max files. 3d Studio Max was used for bulding levels and things need to be named in special order for level to be able to be read in the game.

Game it self is almost complete codewise. All levels and everything can be built in application like 3ds Max, you need to be able to export to 3ds and hiearchy and some objects need to be setup in certain way.

There is code in the game that decides who is the winner and it should be easy to just load another level and make it a real game.

If anyone is interested more about this let me know and I'll try to help, I may even provide you with some graphics if I get time ;)

System4 Studios(Posted 2007) [#8]
nice im going to check out that source code for that racer.. Thanks..

maximo(Posted 2007) [#9]
>Very nice stuff maximo. I'm really impressed with your timing method in your racer game.

I know you from somewhere, dont I have you on msn? ;)

maximo(Posted 2007) [#10]

puki(Posted 2007) [#11]
That Wipeout one looks interesting.

maximo(Posted 2007) [#12]
ohh no, plz dont steal it Mr. Pukinator! :p

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#13]
maximo, I'm using your timing method but I'm getting a lot of jitter. Did you encounter this camera jitter and did you put input or entity positioning/rotation in a certain spot to eliminate it?

SLotman(Posted 2007) [#14]
If anyone is interested to know how levels are built for racer let me know and I'll try to explain it

I'm interested... I have a small racing game prototype, and would love to see how you did it :)

Loktar(Posted 2007) [#15]
These are all very cool. I run undeadgames.com and zombiegames.net ... lol so I wonder what type of game Ill turn the space marine game into :)?

Anyways Im also very interested to find out how you do the levels for the racing game. Podracer is my all time favorite racing game, and the way yours is reminds me alot of it Id like to do some sort of remake... of the levels at least.

Thanks again

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#16]
Cool, thanks. Guess I'm gonna throw some zombies into the space marine thingie :)

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#17]
great stuff, i will have fun learning from these examples

thank you

caff_(Posted 2007) [#18]
Really like the Spacemarine example... works well. Thanks :)

maximo(Posted 2007) [#19]
I'll try to give you some examples how to design levels for 3D studio max. I'll try over the weekend when I have more time :)

IF anyone does anything special with space marine, post it on forums so we all can see it. I think that game could be really fun :)

maximo(Posted 2007) [#20]
I especially like the behavior of "aliens" chasing space marine. Try to activate them all and then choose a spot and stand still, notice how they surround you, this is because they are coded to come as close as possible to you, and if they can't they will try again, so naturally this leads to them surrounding you really fast :)

here is code that handles that

; wander around code
			; if enemy is standing still and some distance away from the target if trys to find way to target by wanderin around
			If TimeOut (thisEnemy\wander_around_timer )
				If( thisEnemy\oldX = EntityX#(thisEnemy\pivot) And thisEnemy\oldZ = EntityZ #(thisEnemy\pivot) )
						If EntityDistance(thisEnemy\pivot,  thisenemy\main_target) > 3
							random = Rand (1,2)
							If random = 1
								thisEnemy\orient_Pivot_Yaw_Deviate = Rand (45, 90)
							Else
								thisEnemy\orient_Pivot_Yaw_Deviate = - Rand (45, 90)
							End If 
							EntityColor thisEnemy\pivot, 200, 0, 0
						Else
							EntityColor thisEnemy\pivot, 250, 250, 250
						End If 
				Else
					thisEnemy\orient_Pivot_Yaw_Deviate = 0
				End If
				If thisEnemy\orient_Pivot_Yaw_Deviate > 90
					thisEnemy\wander_around_timer = SetTimer(Rand (500, 1000))
				Else
					thisEnemy\wander_around_timer = SetTimer(Rand (1000, 4000))
				End If 
			End If

really simple stuff that I have not seen anyone try here at forums, but really effective because it creates interesting behaviour that feels natural without complicated AI code :)

Jason W.(Posted 2007) [#21]
Maximo,

I only saw your racer demo, and it's very impressive.

Thank you for supplying the source. You are very generous.

Jason

stayne(Posted 2007) [#22]
Thanks Maximo. Any chance on some info for creating levels with Blender? 3D Studio Max is a wee bit expensive for me.