TECNO v1.1

Community Forums/Showcase/TECNO v1.1

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi guys!

ok, it's finally there!

Changes:

- difficulty level is decreased
- two buttons have been completely removed, there's no longer the keys "ACCEPT" and "AutoClose MENU"
- the default MENU key is now "TAB", and you use this key to open and close the menu at any time.
- the key "INSPECTION" is now the key "INTERACT", and you use it for almost all things, such as examine objects, pick objects, use objects, open doors, go in and out from transports, activate terminals to use them ....
- every time you pick an important item, the menu will auto-open to show you the picked item.
- the menu will now auto-open when you examine a terminal and you have the correct piece to plug into it.
- you are now able to open the Item menu while writing in a PC.
- added helping messages (with keys "buttons") to guide you in the beginning and across some points during the game ...
- PAUSE menu is now in the ESC key.
- and some minor fixes ...

I also made some fixes to the page so that it is easier to read:
http://www.tecno-base.com

direct link to demo: here

Unless there's a bug concerning functionality (such as MAV or something),
this release is not negotiable in the short term :D ... (I'm weary to work on this ... need few days of "vacations" :)

Hope you enjoy it!
Paolo.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#2]
ooh cool. Website improved. Downloading demo now. It's great that you listened to us all and made it better.

Neuro(Posted 2007) [#3]
Yah website a bit easier to follow. I'll check it out.

Beaker(Posted 2007) [#4]
SpyWare Doctor really doesn't like the whole install. It complains about part of the installation (link files?) and then stops me running the game. Might be a false positive but worth knowing about.

L_Draven(Posted 2007) [#5]
Hi Paolo I have downloaded the demo but not start, only select the screen size and then put the resolution in the bottom part of the screen but then return to windows.

My computer:

Athlon 64 X2 AM2 4600
2Gb RAM
Geforce 7950 GT 512 DDR3

Thanks friend

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#6]
@Beaker,
I don't know, don't have Spyware Doctor installed, can you spot the "TECNO.exe" as a "friendly" exe or something like that?
Link files?, yes, there are some website links to the support page and things like that, ... the same as in any other game, so ...

@L_Draven,
what windows do you have?
Go to the installation folder, open the "options.ini" and paste here the content of that file.

Paolo.

L_Draven(Posted 2007) [#7]
Hi again friend.

I have Windows XP

and the file have his:

1024x768
1024x768

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#8]
L_Draven,
go to the Start Menu group and select the icon "set default Screen Size", then select 640x480 and run the game to see if it works in that res at least.

Paolo.

L_Draven(Posted 2007) [#9]
I tried it before and not run in any resolution :-(.

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#10]
it simply go out to Windows, that's strange (?).

Ok, if you don't even get to see the intro video, there could be a problem with loading the .mpg video or the .ogg video sound.

Go to the installation folder, open the "Music" folder,
rename the file "S_TecnoLogo.ogg" to whatever you want such as "xxxS_TecnoLogo.ogg",
and run the game to see if at least plays the intro video ...

Others commands that are executed before the video are:

SetBuffer BackBuffer()
SetGamma
UpdateGamma

Do you know if these commands work in your system with Blitz3D?

Paolo.

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#11]
Great demo!
Really professional feel to it.
Felt a lot like System Shock 2. Scared me when the robots all came alive too!
You need to make sure this gets reviewed in the indie section in all the PC games mags, to get maximum exposure. I think PC format do an indie section on their coverdisc too.

L_Draven(Posted 2007) [#12]
Yes the commands works in a test project but renaming the ogg file not work.

Dont worry friend, thanks anyway. :-)

caff_(Posted 2007) [#13]
Argh -

Ok, I ran the demo. I put the nightvision goggles on - nothing happened. The office (I think) wouldn't light up... so I quit the game.

When I quit it's messed up my Windows alpha settings by the looks of things... Everything is too bright. So I'm guessing you're using gamma to brighten dark areas, which is bad practice.

[edit] Just noticed the 'reset gamma' shortcut in the program files entry. Hmmmm not good! You should definitely avoid gamma if at all possible.

On a positive note, it's a nice looking game, and the menus + graphics, sound fx, music etc. seem pretty well done, certainly on a par with Half Life 1 / Deus Ex.

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#14]
looks awesome

-Rick-(Posted 2007) [#15]
Paolo

Superb improvement. I was able to actually play the game a it more without worrying as much about the robots. They were still a pain at times, but definately much more manageable.

I found 2 bugs :
1 - when you load the data disk into the projector it used to show a series of images that described the characteristics of the robots. Now the projector came on, but there was no image on the screen or the small television on the side of the projector.

2 - Enemy bots spawning on top of me, or spawning immediately within a room I just left. The door hadn't closed yet, I just went through it, saw a bot in the hall and backed up right into a newly spawned bot. I would suggest that new bots cannot spawn within a radius of the player. Very unrealistic when they spawn on top of you like that.

New suggestions :

Some items are interactable, but you don't know that unless you happen to click on them. This is both a challenge and a frustration. It is a challenge because in life we don't have highlight boxes on the things we do, but the frustration is that in a video game there is so much there that we cannot interact with that important things can become overlooked, especially if important interactive items look like the other common "window dressing" we find in the rest of the game.

One example of this is when you solve the timer in the Delta section. What you do next isn't quite obvious. Definitely a surprising trap, but I actually reloaded several times to try and see if I missed something before I stumbled upon setting the trap of (don't want to get any more detailed and ruin someone elses play). It just wasn't obvious what to do next.

The hidden air vent at least had some kind of indicator on the map it was there, but it actually required a hint from you before I found that. Maybe once a specific part of the game has been accomplished a highlighter could appear on those things if they are crucial to advance. With the hidden vent it would have an indicator box show up only after the map was found. In the delta room the an indicator would have saved me 10 minutes of clicking on all the obvous stuff over and over.

The broken fuse at the very beginning is another example.

Without indicators it reminds me of playing the very first Doom game. To find those secret rooms you had to face the wall and keep hitting the action button to open the door. This not only got very boring to have to check every niche, wall, painting, plant, etc to find the important stuff, it also forced the player to turn their back to potential surprise attacks.

Other than these minor quibbles I still found that your project was done very well. The graphics were superb and the play was fun. I think that if you can provide multiple solutions to the same problem then that would increase the range of playability so that players who do not think alike are not stumped so often. A crowbar to break that first lock, a message hinting at hidden air vents, unused computers that provide hint messages to those that care to stand around and look at them, etc.

Great job, and thanks a bunch for listening to us! I think that you have vastly improved the play over what your initial release provided!

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#16]
@andy_mc,
I will start making some marketing shortly,
if you all know links to contact or visit, then do not hesitate to post them here :)

@L_Draven,
that's a pity, it might be something concerning drivers, or maybe you should try disabling any ANTIVIRUS and/or ANTISPYWARE you may have before running the game ...

@Caff,
read ALL the goggles description in the Item Menu, it says that after "loading" the item, you can use key <Q> to equip/unequip the goggle, then look in the office for the handgun ...

Modifying gamma is for getting more colorful graphics, it's something that even DOOM 3 does,
sometimes and only sometimes the gamma brightness remains when you exit the game, Did the "gamma_restore_utility" solve your colors?

Thanks all.
Paolo.

caff_(Posted 2007) [#17]
Yes it did. Why not reset the gamma automatically when you close the game?

And I'm sure I tried every key, possibly the only key I missed was Q.

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#18]
@-Rick-
- Thanks for your comments, but I'm afraid none of your bugs should happen, it might have been a special situation where an enemy spawned near you but this shouldn't happen often ...
- Are you sure about the projector? it should display a video when you insert the Data disk? and this is VERY important for the game later on in the game,
Can you run the game again? but try changing the "Texture copy mode" and see if you still can't see the video in the projector. If others confirm this, I will have to look at it :(

Paolo.

-Rick-(Posted 2007) [#19]
Paolo

I tried first changing my screen resolution. i was in 1024x768 and dropped down to 800x600 with the same result. i can see the "rays" coming out of the projector. If i click on the projector is says its displaying information about the main model and there is nothing more I can do with it.

I exited the game and changed my "Texture copy mode" from advanced to normal and still had the same results.

The projector worked fine in your previous, original, demo release, so I cannot say what might be causing the problem now. I haven't had any changes in my system that I can recall. I guess wait and see if anyone else has this same problem - it might just be my system.

*(Posted 2007) [#20]

2 - Enemy bots spawning on top of me, or spawning immediately within a room I just left. The door hadn't closed yet, I just went through it, saw a bot in the hall and backed up right into a newly spawned bot. I would suggest that new bots cannot spawn within a radius of the player. Very unrealistic when they spawn on top of you like that.

But they might have sneaked up behind you ;)

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#21]
Just a quick question. I notice the meshes of objects are very blocky, such as the chairs and consoles. Is this on purpose, or would the game still have ran smoothly with more complex meshes?

Still, a brilliant game. I'm assuming the long term plan is to sell loads of copies of this. Then use that to get a team together to build a sequel witn more content, more advanced engine, multiplayer, etc, etc. Every indie coders dream. (well, mine anyway).

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#22]
-Rick-
Can you test the following?
I need to know if the exe is not loading the video from inside the pack file.

Download this:
http://www.tecno-base.com/test/Animation.zip

and unzip it into the installation folder, then delete the extension of the "Videos_a.pack" file (rename it to "Videos_a", without extension)

Now run the game and you should see the "intro tecno video" in the projector.

Please let me know if it works this way.

Thanks!
Paolo.
ps, by the way, do you still have the first demo download? the one which worked?

[edit]
@andy_mc,
yes, I'm sure with todays hardware you could apply much more detail in all stuff but at the same time you are increasing the development time :)

OJay(Posted 2007) [#23]
ok, call me stupid...but: i cant find that nightvision goggles :D

i see the 2 green doors in the hallway, one leading to a dark room with computers and a pistol on the desk (which i cant take for some reason) and one which _could_ be the 'machines room'. but in there i find nothing but the overloaded item on the ground... :/

nrasool(Posted 2007) [#24]
Just downloaded the demo, and wow, this looks great. Very professional, I hope you have all the success with this. Looks lovely, can't believe it coded in Blitz3d, did you use any addon as well, or is it just blitz?

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#25]
It's really good to see work of this quality being produced using Blitz3D, hopefully this will help people like myself feel more comfortable attempting large projects in Blitz.

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#26]
i see the 2 green doors in the hallway, one leading to a dark room with computers and a pistol on the desk (which i cant take for some reason) and one which _could_ be the 'machines room'. but in there i find nothing but the overloaded item on the ground... :/

There's a panel beneath the terminal in the room with overloaded item on the ground. If you crouch down the operate it, it opens to reveal your goggles. You should get a clue to crouch in this room anyway.

Once you have the goggles, you'll be able to get the gun.

-Rick-(Posted 2007) [#27]
Paolo
Sorry, that did not work. I even tried reinstalling the game and running it again, but in both cases, once I plugged the data box into the projector I got no movie.

Even trying to use your download and instructions I had the same result.

I no longer have the first demo download as I uninstalled the original and just downloaded the new TECNO right over the old one. Sorry.

andy_mc(Posted 2007) [#28]
I've bought this now. Considering it's done by one person over a five year period, it's very very good. I'm finding it's making me jump alot though, normally when there's a robot right behind a door, or behind me when I turn round to go back somewhere.

Right, time to write my own killer game!

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#29]
So far, looks like no one report the same bug with the projected video.
This is important because later in the game the player find another projector but this time it will display a password, so if you can't watch it then you get stuck ...

-Rick-
I searched in the code, but haven't found anything, and I didn't change that module.
The rest of the videos such as the "tecno" intro, or the video in the "Get TECNO ! " section in the start menu, or the black and white video,... are all with the same codec (.mpg) and if you can see these ones, you should also see the projected video ...
The only problem could be in the "CopyRect" command ...

Please let me know if anyone here can't see the video after using the "data-box" in the projector:

Thanks!
Paolo.

Winni(Posted 2007) [#30]
Paolo, didn't you want to make the robots easier to kill and spawn less of them?

I finally managed to reach the Mika part of the game and I am now trying to get this laser puzzle done (meaning the big laser). So far, so good.

But the game is still throwing way too many robots at random at me, and one even spawned right behind me. And they still cause too much damage.

If I had the chance, I would save the game after each step that I made.

I think this random spawing is still the biggest issue with the game. I'd pretty much prefer a fixed set of robots on each level. Position them at strategically important points that they defend. Make them tough, if you want to, but once they're destroyed, don't spawn new robots. Spawning is unlogical and I find it very annoying. Enemies have to enter the stage through a logical entrance point, like an elevetar or something, and only then it's ok if a second or third wave arrives.

Ciao,

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2007) [#31]
Since I'm not the patient person I wish I was, I'm still looking for a complete solution to tecno the base.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#32]
hmm... im stuck... i got past the air vent and got into the room with the malfunctioning bot, but what now?

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#33]
okay, i got past that bit...
maybe im not the FPS type, but this is HARD. Maybe you should up the ammo, I was out by like 3-4 guys.

agent4125(Posted 2007) [#34]
I get a "User lib not found" error after the intro sequence.

Also, on your website, the demo link is harder to find than it should be. The #1 reason of the site should be to get people to download the demo. I would put a prominent link/button up at the top, superimposed somewhere on the title graphic, which is consuming all of your prime real estate.

The game looks very cool, though. =)

Matty(Posted 2007) [#35]
I really like this, have played it a bit more, haven't really got very far but it is quite enjoyable. I don't play FPSes (or any game much these days) but it is entertaining.

Happy Sammy(Posted 2007) [#36]
It is running perfectly on my pc.

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#37]
I have uploaded a new version with minor fixes,

L_Draven, agent4125
If you want to spend the time to re-download the demo, maybe it works now ...

Thank you all for the comments.
Paolo.

starfox(Posted 2007) [#38]
Nice game...are there any cheats that can make it easier for me:)

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2007) [#39]
dont play, you didnt want cheats. This _is_ easy ...

Paolo(Posted 2007) [#40]
@starfox,
the game has cheats (god_mod and all ...), but not in demo version, ... just in full version ... :)

Paolo.