ediTable

Community Forums/Showcase/ediTable

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#1]

ediTable will be a (yet another!?) small 'object placement' editor for indie developer written in BlitzMax

Object placement in a 2D or 3D scene is a common problem in game or multimedia application developing

This Editor will allows user to avoid the boring and frustating 'object placement by code' process, letting they creating userType object's class, setting objects hierarchy, setting media libs, and setting export file format directly via graphics user interface!

Thumbnails:

At the moment I'm optimizing and reducing the code mess..

The next features that I mean to add
-Path editor, Path Type (for waypoints for example), and perhaps path generator.

-Viewable areas editor (for rooms culling for example).

-Terrain Editor (perhaps ... there are already goods ones on the net)

-User File Format Editor
-Clipboard area (to copy some scene infos from editor and pasting it in the code)

Do you have other suggestions?

W.i.p site:
http://www.clickitaliansoftware.net/public/vgcgroup/Editable/

Thanks, cu!

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#2]
looks create :) What kind of export will it have?

degac(Posted 2007) [#3]
Last time I spoke with z4g0 he said me that the outpot is XML based. So - technically - it's very flexible!

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#4]
yes, XML for sure.

but I'm thinkin on a customizable user "file format" system...

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2007) [#5]
It looks pretty nice, tho I wish I could see the real screenshots.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#6]
Thanks!

I had some problem to link an image from other image in this forum, so I posted only thumbnails.

I've just add a screenshot to Gallery; waiting admin acknowledge, you could also see it here:

Jake L.(Posted 2007) [#7]
Looking good, but personally I'm more interested in the GUI you use. Which one it was, you said? ;)

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#8]
oooh....Star Trek!

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#9]
Looking good, but personally I'm more interested in the GUI you use. Which one it was, you said? ;)

Thanks!
Is a GUI that I'm building with Max2D directly on Editor (GUI classes are not entirely separated from Editor classes).

oooh....Star Trek!

yesss :D
I'm building this editor also for StarTrek3D Project ( http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=69825 )

M2PLAY(Posted 2007) [#10]
Awesome work! z4g0
All the best for the project !!!

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#11]
Do you have other suggestions?

Not really a feature, more of a quality. If it came with full source ( IE: I could compile it myself ) then I'd be very interested. I don't need an editor, but I could certainly use some code/features within an editor to help me spruce up my own editor. ( When I say my own editor, I mean a personal tool, not something which anyone else will ever use. )

Ryan Burnside(Posted 2007) [#12]
This looks really promising!

Is this written for the Blitzmax user aswell? If so how are they to impliment your 3d scenes?

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#13]
Not really a feature, more of a quality. If it came with full source ( IE: I could compile it myself ) then I'd be very interested. I don't need an editor, but I could certainly use some code/features within an editor to help me spruce up my own editor. ( When I say my own editor, I mean a personal tool, not something which anyone else will ever use. )

Dunno if i'll release an opensource version or not... The source code is a bit "messed up": when I started to develop it, didn't thinked to O.S version... Anyway no problem in asking a specific piece of code ;)

Is this written for the Blitzmax user aswell? If so how are they to impliment your 3d scenes?

The editor is written in BlitzMax, for -also- BlitzMax users.

I'm using the Minib3D Module (fast enough for a small editor): The 3d file formats support is a problems: @ the moment Minib3D support only b3D (and 3ds?)... I hope in next minib3D releases..

Jsoren(Posted 2007) [#14]
very nice looking. i'm defenitly interasted in a nice coherent small object placement system.

I'm building this editor also for StarTrek3D Project

this reminds me, whatever happened to puki's startrek project\game?

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#15]
video:
http://www.clickitaliansoftware.net/public/vgcgroup/Editable/video1/

(tried with youtube but the video compression was horrible XD)

chwaga(Posted 2007) [#16]
ingenious viewport system!! that is sooo cool, make a maxscript for that viewport system and I'll give you a cookiee and a hug!

LarsG(Posted 2007) [#17]
I have to say this:
that's one sexy GUI/Interface you've done there.. :)

Gabriel(Posted 2007) [#18]
Dunno if i'll release an opensource version or not... The source code is a bit "messed up": when I started to develop it, didn't thinked to O.S version... Anyway no problem in asking a specific piece of code ;)

Well as I say, I have my own editor, but I'd really like to take your viewport system, GUI and the transform widgets ( the green, red and blue transform arrows in the viewports ) and implant them into my editor to give myself an editor that looks and feels like yours but works like mine.

I wouldn't really care how readable or neat the source code was, so long as it was included, I'd buy it for that alone. Even if the code isn't pretty and takes some rewriting, it will still be a LOT quicker than writing my own GUI, viewport and gizmo systems.

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#19]
Sorry, I don't understand english very well :(
but I think that will not be a problem sending you gui/viewport/gizmo system when I'll release the program ;)

Anyway, have something to show about your editor? I'm interesting!

z4g0(Posted 2007) [#20]
Thanks of the "reflection" of BlitzMax 1.26, I'm trying to implement a sort of a simple "BlitzScript" (for now I've done variable instantiator, variable assigment and function/method call)

z4g0(Posted 2008) [#21]
Hi! little update:
added a
1) brush system: users can add and use a 2D 'brush' maps to change the insert object placement (for example: random, dot, circle etc...)

2) scriptable insert mode: users can program their "insert mode" options (for example: insert an object directly into the last selected... or insert an object by clicking on the scene, by dragging the gizmo etc..)

3) changable layout mode: if the default "4 viewports" system get uncomfortable, users can switch the layout mode in a 'classic' windows mode by clicking on a button

4) a new, alternative skin (see screenshots). The skin system allows users add their ones.

5) path and area system:

6) search in taxonomy , lock/hide meshes and undo/redo

degac(Posted 2008) [#22]
Wow! It's very good!!!!

puki(Posted 2008) [#23]
This looks terribly exciting. Really should have been for Blitz3D.

Ruz(Posted 2008) [#24]
wow that looks great. nice graphics in display there.

johnnyfreak(Posted 2008) [#25]
Awesome! great editor!

i like the new skin more than the old one.

Snarkbait(Posted 2008) [#26]
That looks amazing... extremely professional.

plash(Posted 2008) [#27]
I absolutely LOVE what you did with the interface system, I can't wait to play with this!

z4g0(Posted 2008) [#28]
thanks ;D!

SoggyP(Posted 2008) [#29]
Hello.

That is a seriously nice interface; where did you get the idea from?

Goodbye.

z4g0(Posted 2008) [#30]
thank!
well.. the idea of the 4 floating viewports comes from a my old simply editor for a game made in blitz3D.
here, thanks Max2D powerful, I get it better and more complex.

for the new "orange/grey" skin, I steal the idea from Z-brush colors XD

z4g0(Posted 2008) [#31]
I've uploaded here: http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=NPA8UbF9F9w & http://it.youtube.com/watch?v=u3UD0CMMsCU
two sample videos!
happy easter :D

degac(Posted 2008) [#32]
Spectacular!
The GUI is incredible!!!

mongia2(Posted 2008) [#33]
very good
bravo z4go!

Grisu(Posted 2008) [#34]
Well done!

Azaratur(Posted 2008) [#35]
Z4g0 di dove sei?
:)

Quando sara' pronto il tuo prodotto? Lo vendi?

Ciao alla prox

Aza

Cp(Posted 2008) [#36]
coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

Ian Caio(Posted 2009) [#37]
I know this is kinda a old thread, but I had to post something.
How is the project going now? Until what i saw, its amazing.

And i have to agree with all here, the GUI is just so impressive.

cya