Horizonal Shooter gameplay test

Community Forums/Showcase/Horizonal Shooter gameplay test

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#1]
Hi,

Looking for a bit of feedback on this to see how it feels, really just after if you think the character control is good or not.

Controls:
Cursor Keys: Left,Right, Crouch
Left Ctrl : Shoot
Left Alt : Jump

Whilst Shooting: Pressing Up will shoot upward, pressing up and left or right will shoot in a diagonal
Whilst Jumping: Pressing Shoot will shoot straight, pressing up will shoot diagonally upwards, and pressing down will shoot diagonally downwards.

After a long fall the character will automatically settle in a crouch to recover from the fall.

This is also my first attempt at character animation so it may look a little robotic.

There's no sound, no bullets and nothing to do apart from run around a bit and jump around. There is a distinct lack of scenery too!

Download it here:
HShooter.zip

http://www.mentalillusion.co.uk/downloads.php

Kev(Posted 2007) [#2]
Hi Rob

for me when falling from a high platform the crouch is to long, other than this its a start of a nice platform engine.

i look forward to seeing where you take this.

kev

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#3]
rolling thunder!

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#4]
Funnily enough Grey, Rolling Thunder was the inspiration!

Although I thought doing the jumping over the handrails a bit too close... And although very cool gets quite complicated in 3D as you need to step each vertical level back a bit so level design would become a complete arse!

Just been playing with DX lighting... It's easy to forget modern gfx cards can handle them quite easily!

Réno(Posted 2007) [#5]
Gamepad support ?

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#6]
It will eventually if I turn this into a game, at the moment it's a tech demo just to try and get a feel if the character moves how people would expect. It's not a game.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#7]
Very nice, hmm.. Blitz3D is looking better and better for alot of game ideas. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#8]
Funnily enough Grey, Rolling Thunder was the inspiration!
Wow, good guess huh! This looks neat but I haven't played it yet. Good luck with it.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#9]
I immediately thought of Rolling Thunder, too.

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#10]
Let's be honest though... There are one or two 'minor' differences:

I'm actually interested in how you think this plays more than what it reminds you of though! If you think the jump is too high, too low, the run speed is too fast / slow, if the shooting is too fast or slow, if the changing direction is ok, etc etc.

big10p(Posted 2007) [#11]
I didn't mean it to sound like a criticism - I really liked Rolling Thunder. ;)

The demo so far looks good to me. The only minor niggles I had with it were:
1 - When you fire straight up, she kinda leans back a bit and shoots holding the gun in one hand. This means she's not shooting directly above where she stands - there's a slight offset. This may be irksome when trying to shoot enemies above as the player will have to compensate for the offset. It's hard to tell if this will actually be a problem until there are some emeies to shoot at, though. Maybe have her just clamp her hands together above her head when firing?
- I find her legs disturbingly long. :)

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#12]
Yeah rolling thunder rocked. anyway just palyed it.

Demo seems good and feels pretty good, look forward to seeing bullets and hearing some sounds, it'll make a big difference.

I'd prevent holding down jump from repeating jumping, it's makes you jump again when jumping up onto a platform which feels odd. Also when repeat jumping on the spot, there is no "I've landed" frame, and there should be. When you jump on the spot and land I feel that the front leg takes too long to come down to the ground, it should be much snappier.

Agree with Big10p that the legs are long (or the torso/head too small) and she has skinny arms. OK for a comic look though if that's what you are going for.

Oh how about a "small jump" option for when you hold it less long?

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#13]
Looks and feels pretty good. A couple of things ...

When running and immediately going into a crouch - there seems to be a noticable delay / jerk displaying the last frame which is slightly offset in the down direction.

I agree that the legs are a bit long but more importantly the running animation would benefit from the torsoe moving a little as opposed to being so rigid. I don't think the running looks very realistic but then again I'm no animation expert.

Stevie

Rob Farley(Posted 2007) [#14]
Yeah, as soon as I've got bullets, sound and bad guys in you'll see another demo.

I totally agree with the repeated jumping, just made it so it forces you into a crouch after smaller falls, looks better. And decreased the time you spend in the crouch after a big fall so it shouldn't be too distracting.

Also increased the speed of the front leg snapping down after a jump, and again, looks better.

Yeah the legs are long! I modelled it using a marvel super hero as a basis so I guess it's to be expected! I quite like it, as long as I keep the style consistent, i.e. Have the bad guys as massive muscle men etc I think it should look fine.

Small jump? Hmmm... I think once I've got a working level it will be easy to decide, it would be simple to implement, at the moment when you hit jump it just gives you a vertical velocity of 2.5, a smaller jump would simply give it a lower number.

Was thinking of having a big jump where you hold crouch first to build up power before hitting the jump key.

Stevie: There's still a couple of collision glitches... Probably need to rewrite the collision system to make it spot on, got too many 'fixes' in there already so need to make it work properly not just look about right. And of course need to get this right before I even consider designing a level.

You're probably right about the torso movement too, this is my first attempt at character animation so yeah, it's not going to be perfect, nothing that a few tweaks won't solve I'm sure!

Thanks for the feedback thus far... working on getting the initial gameplay working nicely before getting headlong into more modelling and animation! (which is a fricking nightmare!)

[edit] Just added more twist on the torso for the run animation and it looks better! [/edit]

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#15]
sounds good look forward to the next one.

What I mean was the option to do a small or big jump, but most games that do this don't properly obey physics, they simply detect if the key is helf down and make the player rise a bit further. If we had touch sensitive keys then you could vary the initial velocity but we don't, so maybe you idea of a crouch jump could be cool.