ZAPSim Project

Community Forums/Showcase/ZAPSim Project

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#1]
Here's some new sky and horizon I've been tinkering with. The sky is actually a half-sphere and I'm controlling the lighting by changing the vertex colors. Interesting way to do that instead of just using a texture.

The colored arrows show the vector direction of velocity (blue), lift (green), and drag (red). And I recently have started implementing a proper vertical tail surface to control yaw.

LineOf7s(Posted 2007) [#2]
If nothing else, I find the sky colouring to be quite pleasing to the eye.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#3]
That's my main focus right now is getting a good sky system together. Something that will allow day/night transitions and good looking clouds. I've been reading up on how FlightGear does it and also X-Plane. The sky above is directly derived from the FlightGear way of doing it.

Luckily there was something called Cloudmaker that someone made on here. It had really cool looking clouds. I'll have to see what I can do with that.

On the flight physics front, I've just flown about 100 touch and gos and it feels ok I guess. Still needs tweaking though. I've taken out the clutter (buildings) too.

One thing I really want to capture too is the tracer rounds. And how they left a trail of smoke. And...hopefully I'll have a proper plane soon too. Soon as I get off my lazy but and model it.

Chroma(Posted 2007) [#4]
New pic. Looks a bit better I think. Not too bad for 4300 feet.

Grey Alien(Posted 2007) [#5]
SKy looks nice. Also like the faded hills in the new pic.

Matty(Posted 2007) [#6]
Does look nice. If you do it in some dry part of the world you may not even need to do clouds ;)