3030 Deathwar

Community Forums/Showcase/3030 Deathwar

Rimmsy(Posted 2007) [#1]

Hello, it'sa me, Mar... no, wait. I've been playing Mario & Luigi, Partners in Crime way too much. Luckily, though I've had enough time to "finish" my game, 3030 Deathwar.

Head on over to Bird in Sky, for a look-see and a download of the demo. Note: its install is 60 meg, so haven't had time to fix the installation problem (which is: if you click No, I don't want to run 3030 now, it still does anyway).

If you're feeling frisky you can also buy it for a mere £9.99, half the price of a good French cheese. If you like cheese, I suggest a nice smoked.

[edit: changed the price to £9.99 GBP ]

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#2]
Gosh, that looks good. I'm downloading the demo now.

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#3]
Oh dear, I'm running it on vista on integrated intel graphics and I'm getting white squares where all the sprites should be.
And the installer put a shortcut on the desktop even though I said no when it asked if I wanted one.

Rimmsy(Posted 2007) [#4]
Oh that installer. I hate it! I don't have Vista so cannot possibly test it. Suffice to say that I wasn't intending it to run on anything less than a GeForce 2 and that's pushing it. I suppose I should at least specify minimum requirements on the demo page.

Do you have another test computer, Warpy?

[edit: Can you press F12 and send me the screenshot it produces, please? It's in the screenshots directory.]

CodeOrc(Posted 2007) [#5]
Warpy- if you use Integrated graphics it's your fault for poor video results.

Get a real video card like most gamers and you will experience excellent results and fun.

I'm not trying to be mean, but Integrated graphics is sooo lame and no game developers dev for that poor of system spec.

GfK(Posted 2007) [#6]
if you use Integrated graphics it's your fault for poor video results.
....there goes 95% of your target market, then.
Get a real video card like most gamers and you will experience excellent results and fun.
This isn't a AAA game. Most people who would play this will have an off-the-shelf PC with integrated graphics.
Integrated graphics is sooo lame and no game developers dev for that poor of system spec.
...except the producers of casual and indie games who actually want to make money. If you don't want to support integrated graphics cards then you might as well go get yourself a tidy burger-flipping job.

Not being funny, CodeOrc, but you clearly have lots to learn.

CodeOrc(Posted 2007) [#7]
Perhaps I do have lots to learn- I do not claim to be the brightest bulb out there, but IG...ouch!

So for real, most people play with Integrated Graphics?

Why? A GeForce 6 series is less than $99 and is compatible with almost all computers.

Oh, and I did the burger thing, hated it :)

Warpy(Posted 2007) [#8]
I play with integrated graphics because I've got a laptop that won't let me put a separate graphics card in.
Anyway, this card's not so bad, it does shaders to a certain extent and has a fair chunk of memory. I only mentioned it because driver bugs or whatever are normally to blame for this kind of thing.

CodeOrc(Posted 2007) [#9]
Oh, IC.

I generally do not consider Laptops a gaming machine at all. Unless of course you spend HUGE bux on one with good video.

I have 3 Laptops, and they suk for gaming, one with Nvidia GeForce4 -and 2 with ATI 9600...eekkk....again- they suk for games.

How many people use IG on PC's? I hope not many :)

Rimmsy(Posted 2007) [#10]
I didn't have integrated graphics cards in mind when I was writing the game; it's a bit of a graphics hog even though it wouldn't appear so. Although I'm sure that more than 5% of the gamer market has something in their box better than integrated graphics.

Fortunately, I can get access to an old laptop to test it out.

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#11]
why the high system requirements?

any chance of a version for crappier PCs?

Rimmsy(Posted 2007) [#12]
Man, I thought my PC was crap. I've got an Intel 2.4, 1.5 gig of Ram and a GeForce 6800 LE. The actual hardware is about two years out of date. Chunk, by all means download and test out. I was being cautious with the minimum requirements. There are graphical settings you can turn down to speed it up. My co-developer has an Intel 733 with a Geforce 2 mx (32 meg) and it works fine on low graphics.

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2007) [#13]
It won't work for me. I get a couple of bars of music, a black screen for a second, then back to the desktop.

Intel Core2Duo, GeForce 8800GTS,Win XP Pro.

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#14]
This is looking pretty good, I *might* even be tempted to brush the moths from my wallet for this. :)

On another note, Where's my damned credit! *slaps table*

*EDIT*

Nevermind *slaps table again* I found it!

MGE(Posted 2007) [#15]
"I'm not trying to be mean, but Integrated graphics is sooo lame and no game developers dev for that poor of system spec."

Depends on the game really. Most game devs should indeed target the Intel on board type cards. The market seems to be 80-90% those type of GPU's anyway. Casual games should 100% target those cards.

Snixx(Posted 2007) [#16]
very cool, I got lost in space XD, however two questions is this purely using the "as is" max2d stuff? and what kind of timing methods if you dont mind me asking :)

(worked perfectly btw)

UnderwoodNullium(Posted 2007) [#17]
I hate it!

The introduction made it look like so much fun.. but really, it's stupid, Space doesn't look like it's raining nor is it grey.. Also I didn't get to shoot anything or anyone. Hated it!

slenkar(Posted 2007) [#18]
I tried it with 256MB of RAM and it worked,
I was intimidated by the 1GB of ram that the website said it needed. So maybe other people will be too.

It took ten years to get to the nearest starbase, I am going to try again tomorrow.
I paused the game then I pressed 'about' and the game just crashed to desktop.

It certainly feels like I am travelling through a planets atmosphere instead of a galaxy.

The tutorial was good - very clear and just cut through the B.S. to tell you what you needed to know.

The GUI was ok, well laid out but the font was a bit small.

Rimmsy(Posted 2007) [#19]
Snixx: It's all max2d as-is but I do use Indiepath's glow thingie. As for timing, some of you may be shocked to hear: nothing. I just let it do its thing. Probably not the best way to code but after i'd made a massive amount of progress it would have taken a lot of re-coding to add timing so I just left it. Very naughty.

LilMain: Thanks for your feedback. Sorry you didn't like it. If you head for a red blob on the system scanner, you'll find a pirate to kill. Or, if you're feeling dangerous you can attack a cargo ship or police viper.

Chunkations. First... awesome name. Second: Thanks for the tip. I've tried it on more substantial PCs but nothing with less than 1 GB of ram and didn't know how it would run. I've changed the demo page to reflect this new requirement.

The reason it takes so long to get to a starbase is your split drive is damaged and is working at 1/8 normal speed. It also gives you time to learn from the tutorial and slows the pace so you don't feel rushed before you arrive at the station.

The galaxy/clouds feeling was a decision that I made prior to development. I wanted a cool feeling of speed and movement in a pretty boring realistic space background. Some systems don't have the clouds & lightning (the nebula).

Finally, the crash (damn you crash, damn you!) is caused by a redundant call to the BVM beta version function which I started using to add mini-games to the trade consoles. The functionality is still there and I may add it again later.

perty: I always keep my promises.

Thanks all for trying it, means a lot that someone likes our little game.

*(Posted 2007) [#20]
I program my games specifically on a laptop with integrated graphics mainly because if it works on that then it will run on everything. Its no good coding on a computer that has the latest cutting edge technology as not many people have that system (not unless your game will not be released for several years).

Rimmsy(Posted 2007) [#21]
Thanks to some pretty natty bug finding by Perty, there is a new patch to download. You can download it at: The Website (Direct link to patch, 1 MB)

Cheers,
Matt

Craig H. Nisbet(Posted 2007) [#22]
I just downloaded the demo for this game. I really like it! I don't see why all these guys are complaining.

boomboom(Posted 2007) [#23]
Most laptops in the under £700 price range (which makes up pretty much all of the laptops in shops) have intel intergrated graphics.

Most people go into shop, pick laptop, get talked into buying an warrenty package from the sales man, so pick the lesser model laptop...leave the store thinking they are clever.

MGE(Posted 2007) [#24]
"As for timing, some of you may be shocked to hear: nothing. I just let it do its thing." Be prepared for comments ranging from "it's running too fast, it's running too slow, etc, etc". At the least I assume you're using VSYNC to draw the scene. That will at least limit your frame rate for those that have VSYNC turned on.

Rimmsy(Posted 2007) [#25]
I've not had anything related to speed crop up. I realised about 60% the way through writing the game that I should have done some timing code but I was too far gone. It's the first thing I'll do when it comes to the new game.

Glad you like it Craig. Thanks for the comments guys,

Matt

Sledge(Posted 2007) [#26]
I generally do not consider Laptops a gaming machine at all.

Neither does Mark Rein and, frankly, it's some of the best news casual/indie developers could ever hope to hear. If you target integrated graphics level hardware, companies like Epic (meaning the increasing majority of mainstream developers) simply cannot compete for your audience's attention.

Vilu(Posted 2008) [#27]
I have no choice but to do a shameless bump on this old thread. :) This game is a real pearl in the indie-developed space adventure genre and deserves far better visibility. If an elite-like game as good as this has never been mentioned in the alt.fan.elite newsgroup, someone's better do something to promote it! ;)

I've been quite immersed in the game's excellent atmosphere ever since I bought it a week ago (for a measly £9.99, a real bargain... I sound like a damn infomercial now) The graphics are simple animated 2d but do their job splendidly. There's a lot of detail especially in the background graphics that add very much to the immersion, and you really have the feeling you're living in the post-apocalyptic setting the opening sequence gives you glimpses of. The storyline could use a bit more polishing, but it's a small flaw in this otherwise freeform space game :).

All space trading game fans (I know you're out there!), try it out.

Rimmsy(Posted 2008) [#28]
Why thank you Vilu. I'll pay you later. ;) I'll most likely do another promotion drive soon and get it out there. Thanks for buying the game and enjoying it!