Ninjah v1.0

Community Forums/Showcase/Ninjah v1.0

Raz(Posted 2007) [#1]
29/07/2007 - Version 1.01 released
Better key config
OpenGL/DirectX modes (will hopefully fix some issues)
Highscore input fix (submit and flushkeys)
Disabled the upload button when the 'base' pack is highlighted

-----------------------------

For anyone interested, I have finished working on Ninjah and version one has been released :)

http://www.evildrbin.com/ninjah/

As mentioned in the WIP thread its nothing epic, but I have to admit I am pretty pleased with it as a game, if you try it, thank you, if you like it, even better!

While I think I've checked it pretty thoroughly, I've no doubt that I've probably missed something so any feedback is appreciated :)

Ta!

big10p(Posted 2007) [#2]
win XP/2000? Will it work on 98?

Raz(Posted 2007) [#3]
Worth a try, I'm not able to test myself so was reluctant to say it would. I know pogo fred worked with win98, so it *should* be ok.

edit> cheers mr 10p!

big10p(Posted 2007) [#4]
k, Raz. I'll give it a go. ;)

[edit]OK, it seems to work fine in win98, but I have some probs: mouse button actions dont always work. On the first level I cant use the rope or fire. Other levels, I can use the rope OR fire, but not both. Am I missing something?

Raz(Posted 2007) [#5]
hey big, yeah sorry I probably should make it more clear. For certain levels, certain 'skills' are disabled

The icons bottom left indicate what you can do, in this case nothing is disabled.

Raz(Posted 2007) [#6]
Also, is anyone with Vista able to test it? I've had an email saying it's quite glitchy.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2007) [#7]
Love the look and feel of the game - VERY professional! WELL DONE!!!!!!!

But perhaps it might be an idea to have a better tutorial thing as I was was confused at first and I'm an experienced gamer....

Seriously good stuff!

Raz(Posted 2007) [#8]
Cheers :D Glad you like it!

Adding a proper tutorial sounds like a must so I'll give it a go tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Chalky(Posted 2007) [#9]
What an annoying little game!

'Just have a quick look' I thought... and now I can't put the damned thing down! Great visuals - absolutely love the concept! Needs a "getting started" tutorial though - level 3 had me tearing my hair out (what's left of it)...

Brilliant stuff - well done!

Amon(Posted 2007) [#10]
Tested on Vista and seems to be a bit Jerky. Otherwise it plays OK.

I didn't have a clue what to do in the 3rd level. I was only able to shoot and there didn't seem a way to climb up to the platform.

A Tutorial is definately needed.

Overall good Job :)

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#11]
The game is cool, but I really dislike the controls. You should include an option to operate the rope with the keyboard, like in the Worms series. If I could operate the rope without the mouse, I would enjoy the game a lot more.

SpaceAce

Raz(Posted 2007) [#12]
Amon: you mean on the third level you were unable to move (as in the movement keys did nothing, they defaults are w, a, s and d)? You should be able to jump and use shooting to help push you the rest of the way. I'll look into sorting a tutorial (once I am sober :S )

SpaceAce: Do you mean that you should in no way have to use the mouse (even for the movement of the cursor)?

SpaceAce(Posted 2007) [#13]
I would very much prefer not to be forced to use the mouse at all. The mouse is especially inconvenient when using the rope.

SpaceAce

SSS(Posted 2007) [#14]
First let me say that I really had a good time playing this game. I really like the concept and it's really well implemented. I do have a few little suggestions though. First, I noticed that if you're touching two different colors at the same time (i.e. brushing up against a wall) that you don't die as long as one of them is your character's color. I don't know whether that is intended but it seemed a bit counter-intuitive. To me the most frustrating aspect of the game had to do with the high-score chart. After finishing a level my name would be written in the box, as expected, but I would have to press enter in order for it to be entered in. If I pressed "next" that score would be lost. It would be great if pressing "next" saved the hi score. Otherwise though I really liked the game and hope you plan on adding more to it!

Raz(Posted 2007) [#15]
SpaceAce: Ahh wow, that's basically the opposite of how I see it. I think at this stage it'd be difficult to implement a keyboard only system that would make all of the levels made playable, so I'm afraid I'm going to have to give that a miss.

SSS: Thanks!
>Two colours
Yeah I know what you mean. Basically I had two options, either assume the player was safe until touching something bad, or assume the player in trouble until touching something good. In the end I went for the first option because the second had a tendency to punish the player a bit too often. However, thinking about it now I think I can meet both styles half way and (in my head at least) it's a bit better

>Name input
Thanks, a couple of people have said this now and it's very easy for me to sort, so I'll get on to that!

big10p(Posted 2007) [#16]
hey big, yeah sorry I probably should make it more clear. For certain levels, certain 'skills' are disabled
Ah, I see. Great little game, BTW. Boy, some of the levels are tough, though. :)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#17]
Help!!! Level 9 is driving me insane! :P

Raz(Posted 2007) [#18]
give slow mo a go! ;)

big10p(Posted 2007) [#19]
Damn - forgot all about slowmo! :D

popcade(Posted 2007) [#20]
This game is very killer, nice done.

I played it for hours of fun (and the impulse to smash my keyboard;))

One thing to note is when I pass the level, the name entry will left what I just used key controls like "DDDDDD"(seems I pushed right key before)

Naughty Alien(Posted 2007) [#21]
..nice, but when Im going from one to another level after completition, screen flickering...same happen with OPTIONS menu, and when I choose to reconfigure keys, some letters missing (Left=FT, Right = GHT) and same flickering...

nVidia 7600GT 256MBram, WinXP Pro, 2.4 GHZ P4, 1 Gig RAM

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#22]
This thing looks like loads of fun. I downloaded it, unzipped and tried to run it, my screen goes black leaving my startbar at the bottom, I tried giving it some time, no luck... I run all kinds of other blitz apps no prob... very weird :(

Windows XP Pro
P4 3.2 Ghz, 1 Gig RAM, ATI Radeon X1950 Pro
Dual Monitors

McSeb(Posted 2007) [#23]
Tried disabling the second screen, works now... never seen a game completely fail because of the dual monitors...

[EDIT] Tried in windowed mode, still fails when in dual displays...

Raz(Posted 2007) [#24]
I've updated it slightly to hopefully sort some of the issues various people were having.

McSeb, that's really strange :o I've got two monitors and everything has been fine (always the case when you're the one making it ;).

I can't imagine why this game would mess you around and no others would though as I really don't do anything out of the ordinary. I'll wait and see if anyone else has the same problem and hopefully work out what to do.

_33(Posted 2007) [#25]
Lots of nonsense fun!

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2007) [#26]
Great game and well executed.

All I can say is thank feck for the slow mo, I actually swore a few times :P

Feels nice flying through the air in slow motion knowing you will just land on the next platform.

hockings(Posted 2007) [#27]
Just wanted to say that this game is fantastic! Brilliant to see an original game idea that's simple and lots of fun to play. My train trip to work would be dull without it!

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#28]
Whoa! What the heck! The upload button uploads to the internet? I thought it just made it so me and me alone could play it! I didn't know it would upload! LOL
Thanks for the comments on my volcanic level, maybe i'll make some more.

Raz(Posted 2007) [#29]
yay thanks :D

I've been away with work recently so I have loooooads of maps to sort through, so i hope I can do that soon

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#30]
Spot on love it, haven't wanted to punch the screen so much since lemmings. amazing game if you can get it on the nintendo ds you would be a rich man.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#31]
this would be great on a Nintendo! I agree!

I uploaded another little level pack. Mission NinjaPossible. (Please don't report infringement)

Raz(Posted 2007) [#32]
Hehe thanks! I never considered it as a DS game but did wonder if it would work with Wii Ware.

Cheers Fuller, I'll try to check it out tomorrow :)

Stevie G(Posted 2007) [#33]
Excellent concept, simple and playable - love it. Took me 5 mins to figure out I needed to propel myself with the gun on one of the earlier levels.

Well done.

Stevie

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#34]
level 35 just one question how?

Raz(Posted 2007) [#35]
air brakes ;)

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#36]
its driving me mad ive slowed down time and used the gun to make the little dude hover but i cant get him over to right quick enough before he hits the deck.

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#37]
I've played 26 levels and only just realised about slow mo :)

Pete Carter(Posted 2007) [#38]
got past it never playing that level again. this is great i have no staying power with this type of game normally but this ones got me hooked

big10p(Posted 2007) [#39]
Pert: how the hell did you do level 9 without slowmo? Kudos!

Ked(Posted 2007) [#40]
You got yourself a game there. Good one!

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#41]
Pert: how the hell did you do level 9 without slowmo? Kudos!

I tried for a verrrrrrrrrrry loooooooong time... I wish I knew about slow mo then :)

I've now done all except the "eye of the needle" one and the one done by "I'm so sorry"

Weird thing though, I *think* it's since updating my graphics drivers (to get leadwerks/josh's demo running), but I can no longer run the game unless task manager is running and it has to be in view on the screen in order to play.

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#42]
Turns out it's to do with me having set the performance options to performance rather than application select.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#43]
i'm stuck on the eye of the needle. its hard... :(

panton(Posted 2007) [#44]
<b> test lol </b>

panton(Posted 2007) [#45]
<html>
<title>Test</title>
<body>
<b> test </b>
</body>
</html>

panton(Posted 2007) [#46]
damm no html :P

Perturbatio(Posted 2007) [#47]
Yes, that's right, no HTML at all.

but you can use forum codes

Doiron(Posted 2007) [#48]
This game is a little gem, even though later levels can get insanely difficult. :)

Also, is anyone with Vista able to test it? I've had an email saying it's quite glitchy.

It works flawlessly here, very smooth (Amd X2 5200+, Ati Radeon 1950Pro, Vista Ultimate).

Gameworx(Posted 2007) [#49]
Great game, but level 35 sucks like hell ... *argh*

Terry B.(Posted 2007) [#50]
My virius protection deleted it.
Weird.

Fuller(Posted 2007) [#51]
[brag] funny, i beat level 35 on the first try [/brag]

Eye of the needle is evil...

Raz(Posted 2007) [#52]
Terry, really? what did it say?